Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Philadelphia (Downtown) Marriott Downtown

lareinebee
By lareinebee,
in

Hello all,

I've been lurking on this forum for a little while trying to study the art of PRICELINE bidding :) I finally decided to give it a shot for an upcoming trip to Philadelphia (6/9-6/10) and Atlantic City (6/10-6/13). I'm working on the day in Philly first and I'm not having any success bidding whatsoever. My prices seem more than fair according to past wins, but I'm not coming up with anything. Are all of the hotels (in the 4* i'm searching) sold out? Should I wait until the last minute? Or is there some convention in town driving up the prices? Here is what I've bidded so far:

downtown = 65

downtown+cherry hill = 67

downtown+city line = 70

downtown+gloucester = 72

downtown+trevose = 75

downtown+university = 77

downtown+cherry hill+city line = 79

downtown+cherry hill+gloucester = 81

downtown+cherry hill+trevose = 83

downtown+cherry hill+university = 85

downtown+city line+gloucester = 87

downtown+city line +trevose = 89

downtown + city line + university = 91

(all prices include $5 bonus money)

I was aiming for a 4* since a.) it's my birthday weekend and b.) i'm travelling alone and felt it may be a little safer to choose a higher star level. I'd like to be downtown because I've never been to Philly before and will have to rely on public transport. I don't mind a 3.5* reputable hotel if anyone has any suggestions on a good, safe one and how to bid for it. Forgive my inexperience!! (and yes I have been using the PRICELINE link)

Thanks in advance!

Rates are date specific, and are a bit higher than usual for this nite. For example, the Loews is indeed sold-out, the Hyatt Regency is starts at $240/nite (making your $91 bid still well under half of prevailing rates).

How high are you willing to bid for a 4*? Do you want to lower your star rating to 3.5*?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I always go with 3.5* in downtown Philly and I would highly recommend any of them to you (Radisson, Crowne Plaza, Marriott). We last went in May (with 9 month old twins so we didn't want a dive) and secured the downtown Marriott for 58$ a night. You'll need the savings for the week-end hotel rates in Atlantic City. It was a great hotel with great staff. My advice is to go with the 3.5* in Philly and you will be fine. Close to public transit. Good luck.

I think even bidding the $91 was a little over my budget :) I would be willing to do a 3.5*.. I'm doing quite a bit of sightseeing so I won't be spending a lot of time in the room anyway but I just wanted something nicer than average, safe and within walking distance of the normal, tourist-y things since I won't be renting a vehicle.

Thanks Bob for your words of encouragement. I might just try the 3.5* since the 4* is giving me a rough time.

I went ahead and tried again without checking for a reply.. I ended up getting the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown for $57 (including the $5 bonus cash) by using the following strategy:

Downtown - 50

Downtown + Cherry Hill - 53

Downtown + City Line - 55

Downtown + Gloucester - 57

Now I have to work on my Atlantic City dates.. but I will be sure and set up a separate thread for that.

Thanks again!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]