NYC Visit advice

murph1031
By murph1031,
in

Im looking at the attactions in NYC and trying to decide on buying a Citypass. Looking at the website for the MET, MoMa, and the Natural History Museum, the admission prices are listed as " Recommended". Can some one expalin what this means. Do you just walk up to the ticket booth and tell them how much you will pay, and if so what do most people pay?

I notice that the Centra; Park zoo also has the same policy.

I'm quessing that once you settle on the admission price at the Natural History museum, the extra stuff, such as the imax movies have a set price, correct?

So can anyone give me some insight of this.

Also while I'm here, is it worth the money and time to visit the inside of the Empire state building? we already plan on doing the Top of the Rock, or would you recommend doing the Empire over the Rock? The Rock has the pass that allows you to visit twice in a day.

First time in NYC so thanks for any suggestions

Many of the museum admissions are "donations" and they don't wish to exclude those who want to experience the arts but can't afford it, so the admission price is a 'suggestion'. Sometimes this is an 'anytime' policy and sometimes only on specific days... i don't recall the Central Park zoo being a 'suggestion' when i was there a year or two ago, i'm almost certain it was a fixed price (maybe it's changed??) "Other" events at the museum (imax, special exhibits, etc) all have a fixed price... not a suggested donation.

There are many "passes" available and here are some of the most popular ones, you can see what each includes and offers and weigh the price accordingly:

Explorer Pass

GoCard

New York City Pass

I've never done Top of the Rock but have done the Empire State Building a few times... the lines can be quite long, but i don't know if the 'express pass' is worthwhile and just how much time it might save. I would think one or the other would be fine as you really just want to get a sense of the city from a birds eye view, and as the lines for both can get long, i'd try to go first thing in the morning (although at dusk is probably best from a sightseeing point of view)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 months later...

We did Top of the Rock in July and it was quite busy in the evening - it was a Friday night. By the time we made our way over to the ticket booth (7:30pm -ish?) they were selling tickets for 10:30pm that night. We bought our ticket for the next day - 1:00pm and no line at all. It's a cool experience - be sure to get your photo taken on the "bench" before you take the elevator up. You get a great view of the Empire State Building - so that's a little bonus you don't get IN the Empire State Bldg. I would have liked the 2x a day option = go once in daylight and the other at sunset or after dark...very cool.

ENJOY!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]