Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Elizabeth - Airport EWR) Four Points

LoneStar
By LoneStar,
in

thanks thereuare. I'll be in N. New Jersey with my family this weekend. Unfortunately, we'll be staying out by the airport due to the Hyatt's unavailability. :) Any family-friendly restaurant recommendations in the area -- we're looking for relatively fast service, kid-friendly food and good prices. Dinner and maybe breakfast (any good diners -- isn't that the Jersey thing?).

Thanks.

slow service -- the kiss of death with young children

I suppose i'll learn soon enough! :)

Admittedly i don't know that much about the Newark area, but the Ironbound district is known for some of the best spanish/portuguese food around... good food and large portions (3lb lobsters and 4lbs steaks are not unheard of, but dishes such as paella, shrimp in garlic sauce, etc are more the norm). My inlaws like Forno's and i have also heard good things about Seabra's Marisqueria, although i don't know much about the later one. The restaurants do a pretty feverish business, so although not rushed, they turn the tables over pretty good (as i recall).

Since you have a car, i can recommend plenty of places more appropriate in Hoboken, which is a pretty straight 15 minute trip by car (i'll give you directions via PM if you want t head here). Margherita's sounds is very family friendly and the food is very good and reasonable (big portions... kids can split a meal w/o any negative vibes from the staff). Probably one of the most successful restaurants in town, so if planning this i would try to plan dinner before 6pm to avoid a crowd and waiting. This place is also BYOB so if you'd like you can bring some beer or a bottle of wine to enjoy with dinner (no corkage fee... which are actually illegal in NJ if an establishment does not have a liquor license).

There is also a Johnny Rocket's in Hoboken if you want to tailor to the kids, as well as another place which has the biggest pizza slice you will ever see (and it's pretty good to boot!). Arthur's in Hoboken has some of the best burgers around, is very affordable, and family friendly (except from the standpoint that they allow smoking and offer no non-smoking area). The Baja Special (for three) in jersey city may also work for you, but my first choice would be Margheritas if you're looking for good food and of the italian variety which the Northern NJ area is known for (although not as well known as it should be).

If you decide to come to Hoboken let me know so i can give you directions and also some places to go for a view of NYC you can get nowhere else.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, that's the place (owned by same people as Vito's Deli... which is well-known in its own right!). That menu is old though so add a $1 or so onto each entree price. They also have excellent pizza, which isn't on the dinner menu but they'll give you the pizza menu if you ask, and that may be good for the kids as well.

No reservations, but if you get there by 6pm you should be 'ok' and not have a wait... by the time you leave the place will be crowded.

Just about anything with red-sauce is recommended.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]