Priceline Hotel: Help! The Big Island

fiberleaf
By fiberleaf,
in

What would be a good strategy for the following scenerio?

We what to bump up our accomodations to resort level on the West side. But first we are going to spend 3 or 4 days on the east side to visit the main attractions near Hilo. We are willing to spend no more than 150 a night (resort level) to live it up on the last for 4 days of our vacation. Any Suggestion on a Priceline strategy?

Thanks,

Fiberleaf

The two "deals" that very often show up on the Big Island are the "resorts" Hilton Waikoloa (the famous over-the-top resort) and the 4 star Marriott. The Hilton usually goes for $138 and the Marriott for $95. Both great prices by Hawaiian standards!

Looking at your dates, however, I didn't see either on priceline packages. That may or may not be meaningful. Bid those amounts anyway and see what happens. On hotwire, there is a 4.5 star going for $177. Anyone know which one that is? sometimes when the Hilton is unavailable, you get the Prince (another fine place to stay).

There isn't much choice on the east side. Since it's rainy there, nobody's built any resorts there in years! Priceline only goes up to 2 stars. I think it's something like Uncle Billy's. If you want it, bid VERY low (not sure how cheap -- 35, 40 bucks to start?) If you're willing to spend more (and sadly, you'll have to, NOTHING in Hawaii is remotely as cheap as priceline) consider a b&b on the eastside, particularly in Volcano. Otherwise, limit your east-side hotel time to a couple nights and take advantage of the great deals on the west coast.

Based upon Lonestar's comments, are you still 'sold' on the east side?

Let's keep this thread ontopic for the 2nd half of your stay, 4/19-4/22 on the west side (kamuela), and please start a new thread for the beginning of your stay... this will enable us to keep the two bids separate, as well as appropriately reflect the ultimate results of each in the topic title.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Lone star,

Thanks for responding to my inquiry. Your suugestions will be very helpful in planning our stay. After your comment and a little more research, my wife and I will probably shift more days to the West Coast. I'll let the board know of my bidding success or failure. thanks again. This board is the best thing since sliced bread for travelers!

fiberleaf

Looking a little more closely at your days, I see some "problem days" for you. On April 20, I don't think the Hilton is available. On April 21 and 22, neither the Hilton nor the Marriott seems available.

First, I'd bid anyway at the prices I recommended for your days but if you don't get them (and you probably won't) keep these problem days in mind and try to work your stay around them. Go on priceline packages and manipulate the days you want. Give HNL as your departure city, and subtract airfare for 2 ($350), and then divide the nights to see what's probably available on priceline for those nights at approximately how much. You can usually get it for about $20 less than the packages price by low-ball booking hotel only (remembering those $138 and $95 prices!).

After you play around with the packages dates, perhaps you'd want to switch the days for east side and west side? FWIW, I wouldn't miss an opportunity for a priceline resort stay on the Big Island. Along with the Waikiki 3 stars, it's probably the best Hawaiian deal at the moment.

Lone star,

Thanks for responding to my inquiry. Your suugestions will be very helpful in planning our stay. After your comment and a little more research, my wife and I will probably shift more days to the West Coast. I'll let the board know of my bidding success or failure. thanks again. This board is the best thing since sliced bread for travelers!

fiberleaf

Ah, we need a chat room here, because I missed your last message while I was typing :)

Yeah, play around with the days and pick the cheap ones for your west coast stay. If you want to see the east coast VERY cheaply, try uncle billy's and let us know. Based on the packages price, I think it can be had for perhaps less than $50!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]