Priceline Hotel: Bidding help - Chicago mid July 4*

CherylS
By CherylS,
in

I am new here and have spend a little time browsing around.....please forgive me if I do something wrong. - I do know the BIGGY though......I'll be using BB's links!!

Ok, we NEVER travel, so this is all Greek to me.

I'm planning a long weekend with my daughters (22 & 14) to Chicago in mid July we are a little flexible on the weekend. July 9-12 or July 16-19. July 10th is my youngest 14th birthday and the reason for the trip.

We will be traveling from St. Louis via train. I've been to Chicago before, but it's been over 7 years. We plan to shop, go to Navy Pier, John Hancock Center, Millenium Park, SHedd Aquarium etc.

I would LOVE to be able to get 4* for under $100 a night - but I'd be willing to go to 3.5* if it's nice and a great deal!

My sister-in- law may be coming. So for now I'm looking at 3 adults and 1 child (14)

So if anyone could lead me in the right direction I would SOO appreciate it!!

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy/1 bed, so if two beds were needed for this stay, there is a risk that you either would not be able to get a room with two beds or, in some cases, may have to pay an upgrade fee. Additionally, with three adults, many hotels charge an extra person fee for the third adult.

Under $100 is going to be difficult for these dates in terms of using a service aside from PRICELINE; I do see the new Hotel Felix for $139 for 3 adults/1 child via Expedia, and coupon code 10SPRING takes an additional $10 off per night; additionally, also noted with this Expedia listing is that you get $300 in Expedia.com coupons (see site for details) sent to you at a later date to be used for future trips.

On HOTWIRE, when searching for 3/1, I see a 4* in the Mag Mile/Streeterville area for $114 w/fitness, restaurant, business, internet and spa. This would likely be the Hyatt. The Hyatt is a giant, convention-oriented property, but it is at least quite well located just a block or so East of the Michigan Ave. bridge (head North over the bridge and the Michigan Ave. shopping area is right there, head South a few blocks and Millennium Park/Art Institute are right there.)

When searching for only 2 adults/1 child, the price of the potential Hyatt listing on HOTWIRE drops to $85. In terms of 2 adults/1 child, the Wyndham (which is just off Michigan Ave shopping in a terrific location) is $117.20 on sale, and coupon code 10SPRING takes $10 off per night. Additionally, from the Expedia listing: "Get $300 in coupons for future travel from Expedia

Book this hotel and earn $300 in coupons for future travel bookings on Expedia. For full details and terms and conditions see Expedia.com.)

You would have to see if the coupons work for you (I believe the coupons are $100 off a 4 night hotel stay and $200 off flight + 5 night hotel stay) and the coupons are not sent until later on, but if they would work for you, it's not a bad deal.

You could try PRICELINE, but you would have to be willing to risk possibly either not getting two beds or having to pay more.

I'd strongly suggest Lincoln Park Zoo (which is free, and a terrific zoo) instead of Navy Pier.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Rates can go either way - you could wait and find that rates have come down, or suddenly find that rates have jumped higher all of the sudden. Rates for Spring and Summer have been gradually pushing higher, but the regular rates for these dates are not out-of-the-ordinary for Summer in Chicago - if traffic does come in higher than expected (it may not) I'd say there may be further room on the upside for rates.

Thank you for keeping us updated and using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links.

I need some help, if I can please. I posted here the other day in the Priceline section - but now that I've had time to study everything a little more, I thought it would be best to actually start here and see if someone can point me in the right direction.

We never travel, so this is all new to me. We will be traveling via train from STL to Chicago 7/9-7/12

2 adults 1 child (14) would REALLY like to have 2 beds(not real clear on how that works)

I'm a little confused because Hotwire and Priceline have slightly different names for similar areas -

I would like to be in the NMA area or the area close to it - Steeterville, on Hotwire or Millenium Park, Loop & Grant Park Area on Priceline.

I think my VERY max would be $125...but I really hope to keep it under $100 - is that possible for this time and area?

I would prefer 4* but 3-3.5* would be acceptable if it has good ratings and the price is great

Right now Hotwire has a 4* in Streeterville area for $86 a night with fitness center, restaurant, business center, high speed and spa - any idea what hotel?

Hotwire also has a 4.5* for $125 in Streeterville with fitness center, restaurant, business center, high speed

Priceline has me confused a bit - I can only choose downtown or loop - is that giving me NMA? there the lowest I see is $121 for Ambassador East Hotel

I wouldn't mind trying to bid as well.......I've read your great tips here on how to do that.

So.....any suggestions? advice? Thanks so much!!

Please keep all posts in this thread.

There is no way to guarantee 2 beds by using PRICELINE. You can request it from the hotel after you make your reservation, but they have the right to say no or charge an upgrade fee. Overall, there's no guarantee.

With HOTWIRE, when searching for the amount of people in the party, if you are searching for more than 2, you will be ensured some sort of bedding (commonly 2 beds, but it could be 1 + 1 sofabed) for your party.

PRICELINE zones:

1. River North/NMA - Downtown North of the River (Michigan Ave and nearby River North area.)

2. Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park - Downtown South of the River

HOTWIRE zones:

Loop: South of the River.

Mag Mile/Streeterville: the South half of the North Michigan Ave. area

NMA-Water Tower-Gold Coast: the North half of the NMA shopping area, as well as the Gold Coast neighborhood, which is just a few minutes walk N of the NMA area.

Essentially, HOTWIRE separates the PRICELINE River North/NMA area into a top half (NMA-WT-GC) and bottom half (Mag Mile-Streeterville.)

In terms of PRICELINE and the Ambassador East, I believe you're looking in the retail/regular rate side of the service; the bidding side of the service is the discount side.

How many are in your party? In terms of guaranteeing more than 1 bed, I would suggest HOTWIRE. In terms of HOTWIRE, are you searching for more than 2 people when you are finding the above listings?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

How many are in your party? In terms of guaranteeing more than 1 bed, I would suggest HOTWIRE. In terms of HOTWIRE, are you searching for more than 2 people when you are finding the above listings?
yes - I'm putting in 2A 1C
In terms of PRICELINE and the Ambassador East, I believe you're looking in the retail/regular rate side of the service; the bidding side of the service is the discount side.
I was just seeing what kind of prices they listed there.....I just didn't try bidding yet, because I'm not sure exactly how to start.

Thanks for all the info.........can you lead me where to start?

The 4.5* Streeterville property matches previous reports for the Hilton Conrad, Inter-Continental and The James... so any of these three would be my best guess.

Best guess for the 4* is the Hyatt Regency.

Thanks in advance for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

well, I'm still working on this

July 9 thru July 12

NMA or Streeterville areas

3.5*-4* would like to stay under $100 (max $125)

I guess I'll go with HOTWIRE, since we will probably have 4 people (3A 1C) and I would like 2 beds....but I have a few questions....I don't see any difference in pricing when I put in 3A 1C or 2A 1C.....so is there no additional charge for 3 adults as opposed to 2 adults?

I've read that I should go with HOTWIRE, to be able to request 2 beds, but I don't see where you do that??? Is there any way to get pricing on suites?

Offers have changed since last week - only thing under $100 is a 3 star for $99 Any idea what it is?

Streeterville area - Fitness Center, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, Laundry, High-speed Internet Access

It's actually the only one offered that lists a pool.......we'd prefer a pool, but it's not a deal breaker.

Oh, one last questions - my niece and nephew are going at the same time, and would like to stay where we stay - can we get a better deal if we book our rooms together?......that would end up being (5A 3C)

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

Keep in mind that different combos in terms of adults/children may result in different listings appearing. If that is not the case, then the prices are the same in this case (although I would be surprised if there was no extra person charge added to the price when searching for 3 adults, as extra person fees for more than 2 adults being factored into the cost is common in major cities.) Overall, the price you are quoted on HOTWIRE is the final price for the room itself (certainly any optional services - internet, etc) are extra and dealt with at check-out.)

There is no way to select exact bedding on HOTWIRE. If you are searching for more than 2, you will be ensured some sort of bedding (commonly 2 beds, but it could be 1 + 1 sofabed) for your party. Bedding can be requested with the hotel. There is no way to ensure a suite or upgraded room with PRICELINE or HOTWIRE.

The 3* is likely the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza - a nice HI, but somewhat out-of-the-way. It's about a 15 minute walk West of Michigan Ave.

Multiple rooms on HOTWIRE may result in different listings showing, but otherwise would not likely result in a better price.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Happy to help and please let us know if you have any other questions and what you decide.

Do keep in mind though that Summer prices have - at least recently - been on the rise.

Thank you for the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks.......I'll keep an eye on it - and only give it a week at the most!!

Hotwire is showing a 4.5*

Streeterville with Fitness Center, Restaurant, Business Center, High-speed Internet Access

do you think this is probably the Inter-Continental Chicago? or could it be something else?

Inter-Continental Chicago does have a pool though right?

This could be the James, Conrad or Intercontinental, but I'd guess this would more likely be the Intercontinental. While the Intercontinental pool is historic and beautiful (it was originally built in 1929), it's a giant, junior olympic lap pool - it's really not optimal for relaxing, more for lap swimming.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

one more question.....

Are any of these more likely to let me upgrade? ---I would like to call right after making my reservation to ask if I could get 2 beds....but I'm also wondering if there's a chance I could ask for a nice view too?

still trying to decide between the 3* (probably Holiday Inn Merchandise Mart) or the 4.5* in the Streeterville area

oh, and you mentioned that the HI is somewhat out of the was- but there are buses or something other than a cab that we could take right?

gosh I need to make a decision! lol

There is no way to know if a hotel will allow two beds when using PRICELINE (it could even depend on who you talk to) but it's not guaranteed and the hotel may say no. In terms of HOTWIRE, if you search for 2a/2c, then you are assured of some form of bedding for your party (2 beds most likely, but could also be 1 + sofa.) If you search for 2 adults only, you would definitely run the risk of not getting two beds.

The HI is about a 15-17 minute walk from Michigan Ave. You could take the "L" next to the hotel into the Loop area or North, but it doesn't go right by Michigan Ave. You would have to take the "L" then switch to the Red Line subway then head North to Michigan Ave. At that point, you may as well have just walked from the hotel to Michigan Ave. in the first place, honestly. :)

A CTA pass (which can be used on busses and trains) is certainly recommended, although in terms of walking from the HI to Michigan Ave, you can either walk East and go through the very nice River North area or take a lovely walk along the river. The bus is most useful for getting across town quickly - for example to places like Museum Campus (which is the 146 bus) or North to the LP Zoo. You can find the complete transit system map at http://www.transitchicago.com/travel_infor...tsystemmap.aspx

If you do stay at the HI, I'd recommend taking the Brown Line to Fullerton and then walking a little bit east and having breakfast at Ann Sather.

If you have kids coming along, then the Zoo is an absolute must - it's a lovely/free zoo.

There's also the Peggy Notabert Nature Museum right by the zoo, which is a nature museum geared quite a bit towards the younger crowd (and which offers a great live butterfly exhibit.)

On Saturdays there's a wonderful organic Farmer's market in the park area across from the Farm in the Zoo area of Lincoln Park Zoo. There's also a terrific Farmers Market on Saturdays on Division between State and Clark. Even if just to browse, it's fun to stroll through the Farmers Markets in the city.

If you do head up to Ann Sather, I'd recommend going on an empty stomach - they do offer large portions and are famed for their cinnamon rolls.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links, and please do let us know if you have any city or hotel questions.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]