Priceline Hotel: Resort Hawaii (Kamuela) Hilton Waikoloa Village

lewisb
By lewisb,
in

Just got bid accepted, 3 nights, Big Island Hilton Waikoloa Village Resort $138 / night

10/18 - 10/21 2005.

Bid History:

Bid 4 times on Tuesday 2/15 (only one area with resort properties, which gave me the 3 re-bids)

$125, $130, $135, and $140 all rejected.

Tried again after waiting 72hrs

1st bid: $125 rejected

2nd bid: $130 rejected

3rd bid: $138 accepted

This is the cheapest Resort listed in the Priceline packages for these dates. $827 for 2 w/ air from HNL which would put the hotel around $150 / night.

Wasn't sure if I'd get a bid accepted this early, but was anxious to try! Hotwire had a resort for $176 for these dates.

Also, trying to get a resort in Kaanapali/Lahina Maui for 10/10 - 10/18.

So far been reject at 140, 150, 160, and 170. Any suggestions on this bidding strategy? Is it too early to win a Maui Resort? Will I be better off breaking up the stay? I was planning on trying these same bids every week or so, being that I have the time.

Thanks for all of the help in the forum!

Hi Lewis. Boy, you seem to have quickly mastered the Hawaiian bidding tricks! So I think you're doing just fine flying solo. :)

Kind of "bidded out" from helping photobean yesterday, so I won't muck around myself in the packages features, but your bidding strategy looks generally sound to me. Given the non-changability rules of priceline, I generally discourage folks from booking 8 months in advance. But if your trip is firm, snagging the Waikoloa at $138 is a good pick up. We haven't seen it go for less recently, and it's obviously a good price for an over-the-top resort (FWIW, I also think the nearby 4-star Marriott for $95 represents good value).

It would be interesting to know why your previous $140 bid was rejected. Is it just a remarkable coincidence that those days were loaded by priceline in the last 3 days? Or is there something "nefarious" about priceline's computer program that tries to reject "lowball" early bids in the hope you'll come back and bid more? Inquiring minds want to know!

Regarding Maui resorts, I personally wouldn't bid above $150 now. That's the lowest price thosee resorts have been coming up lately. It's early, and your days should be during an off-peak period, so why risk over-paying? Patience can pay off. So let the price come to you. If mid-summer rolls around and you still haven't been hit at $150, consider taking it up a notch.

Good luck.

Thanks for the quick response and advice for Maui LoneStar! I also found it strange that my bid got accepted after 140 getting rejected. I did notice, however, that the package price was also lower today than it was on 2/15 when I initially bid. I was surprised that priceline had any rooms available for October. Maybe since, as you stated, it is a slower time of year they want to fill them up asap? I agree that 8 months in advance is risky to pre-pay for a hotel, but already having our flights (and being addicted to bidding on priceline) I had to try it.

Hopefilly I'll be posting again in the not too distant future with a Maui resort won for 150 or less :)

Congratulations on your win!

Thank you for posting and sharing your success (and previous failure) with the rest of the board.

If you'd like to continue your discussion for Maui please post a new thread so that we can eventually accurately reflect the hotel, winning bid, and dates in that thread (as we have done for this thread).

Thanks again, and enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]