Priceline Hotel: 4* Los Angeles (Downtown) Westin Bonaventure

Lexzander
By Lexzander,
in

Hi, Any recommendations for tomorrow night downtown or hollywood (I will be travelling from work for a concert at the hollywood bowl) coming from San Bernardino.

I see they have a 4 star in downtown..........which i suspect is the westin bonaventure.....I called the hotel and not only do they not have any recommendations for shuttle to hollywood bowl they say parking is $34.00. So my question is how do I find out what the parking expenses are before bidding??

Thanks

Welcome to the board, Lexzander.

This is tough since this is for tomorrow night and there won't be much time for "give and take". Maybe no time.

Cut to chase: Downtown and Hollywood hotels charge to park. If there are exceptions they're 1* motels--something like a Travelodge or Days Inn--and even some 1* motels charge. On Priceline (and Hotwire) you don't know which hotel you'll get in advance so there's no way of knowing in advance what your parking charge will be. Think $20-35ish for a 3.5* or 4* downtown, with cheaper options ($15-20) usually available near the hotel, whichever hotel you win. 1* and 2* in Hollywood charge less, typically $5-10.

PRICELINE usually beats HOTWIRE on price so whatever rate you see for the 4* you can probably beat it on PRICELINE.

I'll outline three Priceline options, and in the interest of time, a suggested bidding strategy for each.

1) 4*/3.5*/3* Downtown.

For 4* bid $20 less than whatever the Hotwire rate was. If rejected, add Lawndale (free rebid), and bid $10 less than the Hotwire rate.

You might get a 3.5* for $55-65 . Bid $55 for a 3.5*. Then add Lawndale (free rebid) and bid $65.

3* hotels in downtown LA often cost about the same as 3.5* hotels and also charge for parking. If 3.5* is rejected try $50 for 3*, then add Lawndale at $60.

If you stay Downtown (4*, 3.5*, or 3*) you can drive, cab, or catch a shuttle bus from Union Station to Hollywood Bowl. I don't know if those shuttle buses run for every event, or if they're running for yours, but whichever hotel you win the concierge will be able to help you with transportation options to Hollywood Bowl.

2) 3* Hollywood. Room maybe $65-80. Parking around $20. This will be closest to Hollywood Bowl. Drive or cab to concert. I suggest $65 for 3*. If rejected add Lawndale and bid $75.

3) 3* Monrovia-Duarte. This is sort of on the way in from San Bernardino and all the hotels have free parking. You'll need to drive to Hollywood Bowl and pay to park there, but overall this will probably be your least expensive option, and the nicest hotel for the money. I suggest $45 for a 3* in Monrovia-Duarte. If rejected bid $50 for a 2.5* in Monrovia-Duarte.

I don't know your budget. If you want to stay in Hollywood for less I'll suggest $45 for a 2.5* in Hollywood. Add Lawndale and bid $50. If rejected, exit browser and make a new bid of $45 for 2* in Hollywood only. (Don't include Lawndale with your 2* bid or you might win a hotel in Lawndale.)

If you choose one or more of these options please start each new series of bids with this PRICELINE link.

Good luck!

Thanks for giving me the strategy, your take was right on the mark.

Got the room off the link at the bottom of the page..............

PRICELINE bid 80 plus the taxes right at $100.00

Anyways I decided on the 4 star, got the westin Bonaventure on Figueroa at 4th in downtown.

Checked the place across the street for parking, they have an early bird special deal if you go in before 9 am out after 3 $15 per day.............since i didn't qualify i just bit the bullet and paid the valet 35 per day plus the obligatory tips (so much for the $100.00 room). Concierge says its $40.00 for a taxi to the Hollywood bowl due the the traffic at 6 pm.

Concerige (with a smirk) defers to the subway...........Walk down Figueroa 3 blocks jump on the subway for $1.25, red line get off Hollywood/highland.

Heres how you get there

Walk south down Figueroa towards 7th,

Cross the street...........walk 5 minutes to Johnny rockets (the best light dinner for the value on my route)

Back across the street (note subway is the corner of 7th and Figueroa same side as the westin)........5 more minutes to subway

15 interesting minutes to Hollywood/highland (maybe 7 or 8 quick stops)

15-20 minutes walking slightly uphill to the Hollywood bowl ............$4.00 Tijuana hot dogs (bacon around dog with grilled onions)

$1.00 sodas (street venders) If you park at the bowl its $25 to 50 and you may get buried behind other cars for a longggggg time.

15-20 downhill walk back to highland and hollywood..................now you may take your time and hang out there, restaurants and hollywood tourist attractions

Back to 7th and figueora 15 interesting minutes.

10 minute Slight uphill walk to Westin

A few notes

1. subway exact change only....but don't worry they don't check the tickets anyways

2. hollywood bowl the trendy thing is to bring a basket of wine and stuff and eat outside, only allow plastic non alcoholic past the final gates.

3. bring a pad if you have a sensitive butt..........its outdoors so dress as needed

4. Near the hotel there is $5.00 parking a short distance on the other side of the freeway (several places look around), I would check security before parking my fancy car there, however if you have a junker and you will be there for a week its a no brainer.

5. subway I think may close at 12 midnight but I am not sure............no worry's the taxi ride will be cheap as there is no traffic.............NOTE LA is not like other city's as i did not see any taxi's on my walk (or I may have grabbed one back to the hotel), so you may need to call one.

Thanks for the assistance

Lex

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]