ATL Atlanta Fullsize Alamo

WaterView
By WaterView,
in

Yesterday (10 May 2010) I got a HOTWIRE ad and was quoted $17.95 for a full size car for my dates (2-6 June) in Atlanta. I went to Priceline and bid $13 for a Full size and my bid was accepted and confirmed.

Since this is for a family wedding, I emailed one of my brothers to tell him what price to bid. He tried and failed. I then rechecked and found HOTWIRE had zoomed up to $44 a day. Any idea what's caused this huge fluctuation? Any suggestions for how to get a great price like I did yesterday? I've made my brother a fall-back reservation elsewhere for just under $38 (can cancel without penalty) and now plan to keep bidding until I get something good, but I can't figure out why the prices went crazy so am unsure of my best strategy.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Congratulations on your win and thank you for sharing your results with the board.

Can you please add a reply to this thread with the name of the car company which accepted your bid.

Deals and rates are based upon supply and demand and come and go, which is why we often suggest that if you see a good deal to take it... sure rates can go lower, but often we see users "watch" a hotel offering only to see it disappear, or jump in price, once they're ready to act.

Nobody can say if rates will come down, or continue to go higher, between now and your rental. Did you happen to check the direct rate at the rental company's website after your purchase yesterday? (if so, how much was it)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Here's the info on my 10 May successful bid on Priceline: full size car, 3-6 June 2010, Atlanta (Airport), Alamo, $13.

Anyone have any idea why the prices more than tripled the next day, or any suggestions on timing/strategy to get another car at a good price? Dates and place I'm looking for are 2-6 June, Atlanta airport.

Thanks

Many rental companies start their "weekend" rates on Thursday at noon... adding the day before, a Wednesday, may turn this into a mid-week rental.

Assuming this is for an additional car, would it be possible to rent for one day (Wednesday), then return the car and begin a new rental (perhaps with a different company) for Thur-Sun?

For further help with this additional rental please start a NEW TOPIC.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Just got another full size car for $13 a day via PRICELINE, Alamo is the rental company. Atlanta airport, Alamo is the rental company.

I used the PRICELINE link from here to start my bidding process.

Thanks to the poster who explained that including Wed. was throwing me out of the weekend rate pool and into the (much higher) mid-week rates. My brother needs to go back to the airport to pick up others on Thursday anyway, so I got him Thurs-Sun cheap and will continue to work on Wed-Thursday to get as low a price as I can (right now Hotwire is listing about $50 and my Priceline bids of $29 and $30 were rejected, but Hotwire will email me when the price drops and I have some time before the trip, so I'm going to hold off on that until I get a decent rate.

Congratulations on your success!

Since the details are exactly the same as your previous win, i've merged the two threads... if/when you're able to pick-up the Wednesday, please use a NEW TOPIC for that (since it will be different than the details above)

Glad we could help and you're able to piecemeal this together in a way to save some money.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]