Hotwire Hotel: 4* San Francisco (USE) Hotel Palomar

lcinva
By lcinva,
in

My husband has dental conferences every 3 weeks in SF for the next couple of months at the Westin St Francis. Friends who have stayed there before haven't liked it (and to me it looks old), and I know that if you use Priceline/Hotwire they stick you in a double bed, and my husband starfishes at night (i.e. takes up entire bed) so a double is out of the question.

That being said - a couple weeks ago we had to go for the first time and Hotel Nikko was a Travelocity top secret hotel for $86/night, plus we upgraded to a normal room for $20/more. Now I'm trying to bid for May 20-23, and I can't get anything in USE or USW/Nob for under $100. Hotwire/Travelocity is the same. I don't mind paying $100, but most of these hotels pawn off a double bed on PL customers, forcing my starfishing husband and I to pay the extra $20-30 to upgrade, so really we've paid $120-130. In that case, I'd rather pay retail so they don't treat me worse or give me a worse room for having bid on Priceline.

My question is, should I keep trying NYOP? I am a long time veteran of Priceline, but not in SF. Is there any history of prices going down right before, or will it just get worse?

I looked up conventions, and all I see going on is a Google convention May 19-20 which should really affect us, but maybe it's a bigger deal than I think.

I've never been such a failure at Priceline before and it makes me ill to think about getting a hotel room directly from the hotel. Any advice (either on bidding strategy for this area or a good hotel with decent retail prices) would be helpful!

I did a Priceline vacation package search (air + hotel) for both May 20-23 and May 21-23. When comparing the results it was apparent that Thursday (5/20) will require a higher NYOP rate than Friday and Saturday. So I'm of the opinion you haven't been successful for all 3 nights at $100 (or lower) because Thursday night, currently, requires a higher bid price.

If the Embarcadero zone will work for your stay, Hotwire is currently displaying a 4* hotel that appears to be a match with the Omni for $119 for all 3 nights May 20-23. This property consistantly receives positive customer feedback and you won't have the double bed issue here.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

I've been checking 5/20-5/23 forever and couldn't find anything in USE or USW/Nob for less than $130 than wasn't the Westin St. Francis. Anyway, yesterday a 4* popped up for $104.

The first time I looked, this hotel was $115 and the amenities were:

Fitness center, restaurant, business center, internet

After doing my research based on TA rating of 4.5 and only 100+ reviews, I kind of figured it was the Hotel Palomar as opposed to Parc 55 or Grand Hyatt.

This research took about 30 minutes, and Hotwire timed out. I refreshed, and all of a sudden there was a 4* for $104, and the amenities were:

Boutique, non-smoking, fitness center, restaurant, business center, internet

and I was sure this was the Hotel Palomar. Weird, huh?

Anyway, it was. TA reviews are really good, so I'm interested to see what this weird little boutique hotel is like.

I'm a little confused... can you add a reply to this thread confirming that you purchased the 4* property with:

Boutique, non-smoking, fitness center, restaurant, business center, internet

...and it was the Palomar?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]