Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt Regency Hudson

peridot
By peridot,
in

I am desperately looking for a decent hotel for next weekend feb 25-28...a bit last minute but I figured I could get a good deal. I tried to use priceline but doesn't seem to work for Canadian residents. I really need to find a hotel and don't want to pay more than $80 or $90 USD and that would have to be for a clean hotel, private bath, pref. near midtown. Was hoping I could try bidding to get a discounted 3 or 4*.

Any suggestions? I'm desperate.

Start here: PRICELINE CANADA.

Not too sure how realistic your expected budget it is... well, at least given that you want something clean :)

We can suggest a strategy for your to try (if the above link gives you a usable workaround), but what will you do if you're not successful?

If your budget it very tight i would also suggest staying in nearby Jersey City (New Jersey) where there are great 3* hotels within your budget, with each having PATH train service into Manhattan.... trip is about 15 minutes to midtown and 8 minutes to downtown... service 24/7 and costs $1.50.

Let us know what you want to do and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

By the way, if I do go for Jersey City...(I just read about the Hyatt, sounds really nice) what should my bidding strategy be? Does Hotwire also offer that hotel? Going by what I read I'm worried my CDN Visa will be rejected and not crazy about going through priceline uk site to bid but I'll give it a try.

Also, have you heard at all about the Pan American Hotel in Elmhurst, Queens? I saw it on Expedia for $106 CDN / night - it's a 3 star and seems ok but not as nice as the hyatt....just wondering if anyone has heard about it.

HOTWIRE has this property for your dates for $68/nite (match the amenities up with those in our New Jersey Hotwire Hotels list.

If you try Priceline i would suggest starting at $48.

Any questions or if you need further clarification feel free to ask.

Let us know which service you try and how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I actually just tried priceline and they rejected my bid for $37.00. I read that a user won on that bid so I thought I would give it a try...now I'm locked out unless I change one of my requests. Do you recommend I shorten my trip by one day and then go back and book the sunday night later? I was going to try $48.00

HELP!!! :)

Well, the price jumps on Hotiwre when not taking all 3 nites together, so you may want to consider just taking the $68 rate offered thru them.

You can try to split this bid, but if you're accepted for only part of your stay, you run the risk of really paying a lot more for the remaining date (since even thru Hotwire, that lone date may be much more expensive)

I'm trying to decide whether or not I wait out the 72 hours or if I book again and either try adding a night to my stay...or try to book 2 nights through priceline at $48.00 and 1 night through hotwire at $84.00. I'm worried if I wait out the 72 hours which would be sometime late sunday night, there won't be anything left. Any advice on how close I can push it this time of year?? The more I research, the more I really want to grab the Hyatt Jersey City, at that price I don't mind being a little out of Manhattan. Also, lets say I book an extra night and can't make it for the first night...do they hold my reservation for the remainder?

Thanks!

I wouldn't mess around with this reservation too much as there is already evidence of some sort of demand that is on the cusp of higher rates.

If current availability remains the same, I don't think you'll be successful with Priceline's "Add A Nite Feature" as the date you'll be needing has higher opaque rates than the others (as evidenced by your rejection for the complete stay and acceptance for the partial stay).

If you won't be arriving the first nite of your stay, you should call the hotel and give them your credit card number and ask them to check you in and assign you a room over the telephone.

Thanks for the advice thereuare! I decided to go with the less risky route - I just booked through Hotwire and got the Hyatt in Jersey City for 3 nights - $68 / night. Hotwire makes the booking process really easy for Canadians, went very smooth. FYI - I had tried to book only 2 nights through Priceline for $48 - Friday and Saturday and I was rejected...so I figured I may not be able to get the 3 nights at that price even if I had waited the whole 72 hours and was also worried they would stick me with the Doubletree. Better safe than sorry.

Now that I know where I am staying, a few questions: I'll need to get to a very early appointment in Midtown on the Monday morning, do you know how much a cab would be from the hotel?

Also, any suggestions on cheap eats for both breakfast and dinner around the hotel?

I have to say this is a great website! Some really good tips. I have a trip planned to California in March and I'll want to try Priceline for booking the hotel. I'll check out the Los Angeles forum.

Thanks!

Now that I know where I am staying, a few questions: I'll need to get to a very early appointment in Midtown on the Monday morning, do you know how much a cab would be from the hotel?

Also, any suggestions on cheap eats for both breakfast and dinner around the hotel?

Just how early and exactly where is your appoinment? A cab is out of the question (for the most part) but depending upon time and location, you may be better off taking the PATH to midtown directly or taking the PATH to downtown and then taking the subway.

How far are you willing to venture for breakfast or dinner? (for dinner i assume you can make a quick jaunt... but for breakfast are you looking for in the immediate area?)

Hi-

My meeting is on a Monday at 8 AM - Midtown on West 57th Street. I guess I'll be ok on the subway...I'll probably try to scope out the address sometime over the weekend so I know where I am going beforehand....

As for breakfast and dinner places, we plan to spend most of our time in Manhattan but thought that just in case I should have a backup for dinner (reasonably priced) as well as breakfast (cheap!). I saw your list of restaurants but still wondering about breakfast. I would prefer as close to the hotel as possible, we are not bringing our car into Jersey. Wouldn't mind a short walk.

Thanks!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]