Priceline Hotel: Bidding Help for NYC

Neelee
By Neelee,
in

Hello,

First time visitor to NYC. We'll be doing touristy things (probably bus tour then foot tour).

After reading several posts I understand 2.5* not necessarily recommended and NYC is compact enough that we don't have to stay near Times Square. Also think I read that I might not be able to get a room with 2 beds from P/L (?).

In looking at the P/L map, our options look pretty wide open. We're looking to spend up to $130 night for 3* and up. Judging from previous wins, that could be a hit or miss depending on the time of the year.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Using PRICELINE in NYC with the expectation of two beds is extremely risky and generally unlikely. HOTWIRE is a better option in this case, as one can indicate more than 2 in the room, which will ensure bedding for the entire party.

Is your desired budget $130 per night "all-in" (taxes/fees included) or $130 + taxes/fees? Additionally, are there particular zones that you would prefer to bid for?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Yeah, after I posted, I started reading more and the general consensus is to use Hotwire if one needs a specific number of beds.

The $130 is just for the room. I know that I can expect to pay at least $150 total with taxes and P/L fees. I did find $120 - $150 range rooms on Hotels.com. I never used Hotwire before so I better read up and study before it gets too late.

Thank you again!

My search criteria was:

Sun, Jul 4 to Wed, Jul 7

New York City, NY - 1 room, 3 nights, 2 adults, 1 child

Doesn't appear I can specify 2 double or queen beds.

Results returned:

3.5 stars

$153 per room per night

Neighborhood Name: Chelsea - Madison Square Garden area Hotel

2 star

$155 per room per night

Neighborhood Name: Central Park area Hotel

Wow! Price changed over night!

* $162.00 per room, per night

Per Hotwire:

3.5-star hotel in Chelsea - Madison Square Garden

Our 3.5-star hotel suppliers include: Hilton, Millennium, Crowne Plaza, and other respected hotel brands.

This hotel features the following amenities:

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Unfortunately this property has not yet been reported to the board.

For a similar price i see what i believe to be the 3* rated Holdiay Inn Midtown at 57th St... any interest in this property? (or would you prefer the higher rated 3.5* property above but not have a guess as to what it might be??)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thougths and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

At this late stage in the game, I'm interested in whatever suggestions you and your members have. I'll steel myself to pay at least $160/night for the three of us. At the same time, if the normal rack rates are $400/nite and I get something for $160 - Yipee!

We really just need a place to park ourselves after a long day of sightseeing. Not interested in the pool, gym, or nightlife (too old). Nice place to sleep and plot our plan of attack for the next day.

I still need to find something for DCA...I believe I posted on that board as well.

Thereuare...if no one has every said so....you are a gem and a definite asset to everyone! Thank you, in advance.

At this late stage in the game...
In terms if PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, it's really not that late in the game... it's actually a bit early. Triple occupancy in NYC can be tough and that is part of the reason nothing is screaming "deal" to me at the moment. The 3.5* at $155 has not yet been identified so difficult to say just how good of a deal this is, and the Holiday Inn Midtown doesn't really offer enough of a discount vs. a covnentionally booked room to lock this in 2 months before your stay, imo.

You could book the Holiday Inn for $191/nite which is cancellable (always double check the terms during check-out) which would protect you from rates rising from here, and also allow you the flexibility to take advantage of any HOTWIRE deal that comes along in the coming weeks.

Toughts on this gameplan?

Thereuare...if no one has every said so....you are a gem and a definite asset to everyone!
THANKS! :) I keep telling my wife the same thing... but she ain't buying it :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to provide an update to my original post rather than keep everyone hanging.

We decided to not take the risk of a room w/o 2 beds and booked the Chelsea Savoy through Hotels.com for $125/night.

I want to thank every one, especially Thereuare, for your patience and advise.

Now on to trying to find things to do in New York!

Thanks for the follow-up and closing this thread with your decision for this trip.

If you didn't, please note as per our support page that we're an affiliate of Hotels.com, please check for and use the links there for your hotel direct purchases.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]