Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Chicago (River North) Courtyard by Marriott

AaronJB
By AaronJB,
in

I had previously bid on priceline and happily ended up with the Marriott Residence Inn over by Water Tower for $54. I've also gotten the Intercontinental on HW for $69. My fiance and I live in Chicago and occasionally, we like a cheap hotel night.

This week, I was planning on maybe doing something on HW later in the week if I saw something and felt like it. Was sitting with my finance, and she enjoys the rush of Priceline, so as a goof, I put in a bid of $40 for River North. I did not want to try NMA, because I did not want the Hyatt. I didn't want to be one person in a monster huge hotel and I've read some remarkably negative reviews (there's one review on Trip Advisor where the Hyatt apparently told someone to head West from O'Hare to reach the hotel).

Anyways, didn't get anything in RivNo for $40. Tried again w/NMA and RiverNo 2.5/3 at $47 and ended up with the Courtyard. Totally couldn't believe it when it showed up, as I entirely wasn't expecting to get anything. Really no bidding strategies involved here, simply stumbled into it and I'm happy with the result - good location and almost 1/3rd of the $129 price the hotel is going for on this particular day.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Congratulations on your win and thank you for sharing your winning bid with the board.

One suggestion i would have...

You wanted to avoid the Hyatt, but added NMA to your River North bid, which could have resulted in the Hyatt (since they sometimes offer hotels below your winning bid). A better approach would have been to add a true re-bid zone instead of NMA, which would have ensured that if you won it would have only been in the River North zone (and definately not the Hyatt). If you're not familiar with re-bidding, it is explained in this thread: RE-BIDDING explained, feel free to ask any questions that you may have after reading it.

This ended up ok for you anyway, but i think the above is a better approach for your future bids and will make sure you don't end up at the Hyatt in the future.

This is the Courtyard on 30 East Hubbard Chicago, correct?

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]