CA San Diego Staybridge Suites Downtown

windwalker
By windwalker,
in

Well looks like I'm the first to win a bid at this property

So how's about a brief review.

I bid- I won- I stayed

Ok, a bit more than that.

Yes the property is downtown, but it is on the FAAAARRR side of Downtown San Diego. The location is over by City College, just on the edge of Bolboa Park. The location offers convenient access to HWY 163. The neighborhood looks a bit "ify" but not too bad. Although I haven't done much walking as of yet. The location puts it about a mile from the Gas Lamp district.

The Hotel is a bit over one year old and is still in very nice shape. It's a former apartment building known as the Rivera. It's a 6 story square building painted in pleasant earth tones. This is my first time at a Staybridge so I cannot compare it to others. First impressions are very nice. Fireplace in the inviting lobby area. Everything is done in classic Deco styling with lots of interesting wood inlays. Check in was uneventful. Presented my Platinum Ambassador Card, was asked what type of room was needed-in my case smoking, filed out the proper papers and was on my way. No bellman but several carts are available for use.

Made my way up the slightly cramped elevator and located my room. Opened the door and the lights automatically came on. Room is very pleasant. And compared to some I've stayed in(320 nights\year) is really quite spacious-Approx 15X15 with a 5x5 kitchen area and about that for the bath. Toilet and shower are together with separate sink area. Closet is bigger than mine at home(from what I recall) Wire shelving with 3 actual shelves in the closet. Closet door feel off track but have become so used to that won't give demerits for it.

King size bed as requested. Full size sleeper sofa(do not see bedding for it). Mission style furniture-Dresser with 3 drawers, hallway table, nightstands and coffee table. Large Desk with an HONEST to GOD desk chair. 2 phones. Colors are basically dark green and tan

Kitchen has 2 burners, Fridge, Microwave, Dishwasher,12 cup coffee maker, place setting for 3-including wine glasses, and all the utensils I need.. 1 bag of popcorn and both regular and decaf coffee are included.

For entertainment there is a 27" remote TV with what appears to be 65 channels of cable. If you cannot find anything to your liking on TV then perhaps the included DVD player will make you smile.

Highspeed internet(wired) is free.

View from the room is not much, I'm facing inside of the square and looking at walls about 25' away. As a plus the windows do open though. Now the view from the roof is another story. According to the front desk during the warmer months on W, Th, F nights they have a social\cookout up there for guest.

Will review the breakfast offerings once I've tried them- so stayed tuned.....

We've stayed at the Staybridge several times using Hotwire. Your room sounds like one of the smallest. They once tried to put us in that room, but when I went back down and asked if they had anything larger, they pleasantly moved me to a very spacious room, so don't hesitate to ask. They will also give you an outside room if you request it, and the view toward the ballpark is cool. Just be aware that if you are on too low a floor, you can hear the beeping of the crossing guard for the blind all night long. Also, be sure to check out the rooftop. They have inflatable beds for lounging and looking at the stars, or just at the city view.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]