Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* NYC (MTC) Manhatan Centre Hotel

Jodes
By Jodes,
in

Hi only new to this forum, from Australia and looking for hotel in NY over Christmas time - Arrive 24 Dec leave 3 Jan.

Trying to find out what the 4* hotel in Midtown East is.

Price $199

This hotel features the following amenities:

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-speed Internet Access

Tennis Nearby

Not sure if this info helps:

Recommended in 90% of customer reviewers

500+ total reviews

Helpful Tips

Over all satisfaction 4.5

Thinking this one is either the Grand Hyatt or the Inter-Continental The Barclay

I havent been to NYC before, and just wondering if this is a good location, or should I be looking more central/TS area?

Hope its okay to post another one.

but found this one in Central area:

3.5 Star, Midtown Central area; $209

Resturant

Business Centre

High Speed internet

Recommended in 80% of customer reviewers

50+ total reviews

Helpful Tips

Overall satisfaction 4.5

Thanks very much.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Best guess for the MTE property above is the InterContinental Barclay... i'm not sure of the 3.5* Midtown Central property, and the amenities are too common for a NYC to take much of an educated guess.

Either of these zones (at the 4* level... there are some 3.5* hotels in the MTE which can be a bit "out of the way") should work out fine for the average visitor.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks very much...

We've decided to pass on the MTE 4* as I have been told that it may be a bit 'out of the way'...

So looking for soemthing a bit different...

I think we might pass on taking the punt since we're going to be there for 10 nights, and go for something we know what we're getting, otherwise the Central one does sound okay.

Thanks again

We've decided to pass on the MTE 4* as I have been told that it may be a bit 'out of the way'...

Who told you this... do they have much experience with NYC? If you think it's out of way, exactly what sites to you intend on visiting while you're here?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Someone on Trip Advisor suggested we stay somewhere like UpperWest side, like Hotel Beacon area because apparently getting across the city from midtown east isn't as easy as getting places from Upper West..

I have never been to NY before, let alone the USA so not really sure what to do. Was just going to book Beacon and hope for the best..

Unless we take the punt on the midtown east, or midtown central ones?!

I definitely wouldn't stay in the Upper West/Upper East; these areas are not centrally located and it would be a significant trek down to Midtown from some of the Upper W/E hotels. I'd strongly suggest not taking the Beacon, as looking at that location, that would not only be inconvenient, but especially problematic over a stay longer than a week - and in the middle of Winter, a problematic location in NYC would definitely not be good.

I definitely wouldn't stay in the Upper West/Upper East; these areas are not centrally located and it would be a significant trek down to Midtown from some of the Upper W/E hotels. I'd strongly suggest not taking the Beacon, as looking at that location, that would not only be inconvenient, but especially problematic over a stay longer than a week - and in the middle of Winter, a problematic location in NYC would definitely not be good.

Interesting, on trip advisor they were saying that it's easier to get transport form that area, like using the subway..

if we took the punt on the 4 star MTE, it would save us about $500, which is more shopping money.. haha...

Thanks for the advice, will need to book something asap, might talk to our TA tomorrow.

Thanks again really appreicate it.

If we end up going for hotwire, will confirm what it was.

Just need to decide if MTE or MTC would be better....

I'll use Chicago as a comparison. There is a fairly compact downtown area to Chicago where the majority of the sights are. To the North of the city (about 10 minutes by public transit), there is a neighborhood called Lincoln Park that is very nice and very popular. It does have some sights, but the majority of the sights are downtown. Additionally, there are more hotels downtown so there tends to be more inventory and better deals.

One could walk from Lincoln Park to downtown, but it's a long walk in nice weather and a harsh and long walk in a tough Winter. It's easier to stay downtown and take public transit North on a couple of occasions to Lincoln Park rather than staying in Lincoln Park and having to rely more heavily on public transit to get around and go downtown.

Not the best comparison, but somewhat similar: in NYC it's best to stay in Midtown (where you wouldn't have to rely on public transit quite so much) rather than staying in Central Park and having to rely more heavily on public transit (especially if it's a tough Winter, then you would really have to be heavily reliant on public transit) to get around to the rest of the city.

In both instances (Chicago's Lincoln Park and NYC's Central Park), there are not that many reports of wins to the board in each area, as most people choose to stay more central (this is especially true for the Lincoln Park area in Chicago where, after a year, there have still been no reports of wins to the board in that zone.)

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches - and please let us know what you decide and if you have any other questions.

yeah, it makes sense, I was originally looking midtown central area, but then was told the other information, so i guess swayed my mind...

in regards to what to do, all the usual touristy stuff, as well as shopping and just checking out the city....

I'm tempted in taking a punt at the 3.5 star midtown central, would you recommend giving that a go?

Like even know you've said its hard to say what it is, but for $209 a night in a 3.5 star midtown central I'm thinking that may be the best option?

Actaully, dammit, seems its gone up to $219, but would you say its the best option?

it says : Our 3.5-star hotel suppliers include: Hilton, Millennium, Crowne Plaza, and other respected hotel brands

so can't be too bad right?

A 3.5* MTC property with that amenity set has not yet been reported to the board - it may be the Manhattan Centre or Club Quarters with a slightly different amenity set.

Personally, I'd still take the cheaper 4* MTE. Great deal, great area and a savings of nearly $250 over the total of the 3.5* MTC.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks - it does seem like a decent location, we're looking at Hotel @ Times Square too - which seems kind of in the same area.

Will speak to our TA today and hopefully get something booked in soon.

Considering that time of the year, I'm keen to get something locked in.

If we end up taking the punt on the 4 star, I'll reply back advising what it is.

Thanks again :)

Haven't had much success with our Travel Agent with booking a hotel.

So we're thinking about just taking the punt and booking through Hotwire.

The 4* MTE hotel has gone up to $202 a night,

and the 3.5* MTC hotel is down to $204 a night.

We're there for 10 days and would like to be kind of central obviously to the main part of the city - however with NYC have been told with transport, anywhere is easy to get to.

With those 2 prices being fairly close, which would you think be a better option.

MTE or MTC?

I would take the 4* hotel as it's higher rated and you have a 'reasonable guess' as to which hotel you'll likely be receiving... the other is lower rated and no guess as to what the hotel may be.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

As above, we ended up taking the MTC just because it's a central location rather then east, and was about the same price anyways as MTC one came down..

It is the Manhattan Centre Hotel - seems to be okay.

I guess they're not that far away from eachother - but it's booked now and the hotel seems to be okay.

Thanks for the help from these forums :)

Congratulations on your success!

Nice to see you're happy with your decision and that this property will work well for your plans... we're glad the board was helpful with your purchase.

Please use the requested PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your future travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]