Priceline Hotel: Bidding Help 4* Seattle (Downtown-Pike Place)

paulieuk
By paulieuk,
in

I'm bidding for August 5 -7 2010 and have worked my way through re-bids from $65 to $96 over the last few days without success or even a counter offer.

After a couple of days break, I started again today with a bid of $95 and received an immediate counter offer of +$22.

Hotwire has a 4* in the zone for $123 + taxes x 2 = $294.51, which is probably either the Westin or the Sheraton (the latter has closer match of tripadvisor rating).

The Priceline retail rates for the zone are:

Hyatt at Olive 8 - $164

Westin - $264

W - $239

Sheraton - $229

Grand Hyatt - $219

Edgewater - $379

Like most people it would seem, I'd prefer not to get the Edgewater - although obviously this being Priceline, there is no way of guaranteeing either way.

What are people's experiences in this situation? The Edgewater is retailing at more than $200 higher than the Hyatt at Olive 8, and $150 more than the Sheraton. I know it's technically still possible to get the Edgewater, but what do people think the odds are?

I'm holding a cancellable rate at the Renaissance which totals $269 for the two nights. Bearing in mind the suggested counteroffer of $117, if I win a bid at say $105, that would total $250, so a modest saving and potentially a better a hotel.

Or shall I keep hold of the Renaissance, and as August gets nearer, try Priceline (and Hotwire) again to see if the rates fall?

Any advice, suggestions welcome. And again, yes, I know there's no guarantee of not getting the Edgewater, I'm just after some insights or helpful experience.

Thank you.

There is often very little correlation between retail prices and the hotel you receive via PRICELINE (ie- you don't necessarily win the hotel with the least expensive hotel direct rate)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]