Hotwire Hotel: Please help first timer with booking

topsyturvy
By topsyturvy,
in

Hi,

I'm looking to plan my summer vacation early to save some $'s. At the moment I am looking for a 4* hotel somewhere in downtown Washington D.C. A Hotwire search showed up:

3 nights between the 15th and 18th July.

Dupont Circle - Embassy Row

This Hotel features the following amenities:

Restaurant(s)

Fitness Center

Tennis Nearby

Price per night: $96.00 (Best Value!)

Subtotal for 3 nights: $288.00

Taxes/Fees: $48.95

Total Price: $336.95

Can someone please help me ID this hotel? Also please comment on the price and help me come up with a booking strategy :)

THANKS!!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Best guess, and this appears to be, the Westin Embassy Row. Assuming we're correct, best price on the hotel's website is $279/nite.

With HOTWIRE there is no real booking strategy, you either take their offer or not... or were you looking for a strategy on Priceline to try (and are willing to accept any hotel in the zone?)

If you take this offer please use THIS LINK to being your purchase. If you're looking to try Priceline, please let us know if this is the only zone you're willing to accept or if there are others.

Let us know whatever you decide to do and how we can be of additional help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi thereuare,

Thank you for taking out the time to reply :) I will definately use your link for any purchase.

I understand your comments about Hotwire. Could you help me come up with a strategy for priceline? I will try for a better deal there :)

I am looking for a 4* (or better) Hotel in a lively part of D.C and the max I would like to pay per night is about 115$

I dont know much about D.C. From the map, Georgetown/dupont circle and Kennedy Center look nice and central.

I would suggest you first research what part of DC you want to stay in.. you have plenty of time and this is your trip/vacation, find what areas are best suitable to what you want to do during your trip.

TravelGuy... you want to add some insight about the area?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It's hard for me to say which zone would be best, as that's really a subjective decision which may involve age and personality. I like the Dupont/Woodley Park zone at 4*, because of the predictability. There are only two hotels that come up in that zone, they're both quite good and well located, with the Omni coming up the overwhelming majority of the time. They are close to the Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan nightlife. Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan and Georgetown are the most lively areas at night. (I should note however that, like New York's Grenwich Village, Dupont is somewhat "alternative". Also, the Adams Morgan crowd at night is relatively young - generally 20's-early 30's.)

The problem with the Georgetown/Foggy Bottom zone is that it's rare that a hotel comes up that's actually in Geogetown. All 4*'s are in Foggy Bottom. Foggy Bottom, to me anyway, gets a little too quiet in the evenings, and it's not as pleasant to walk around the immediate vicinity of the hotel - although it's close to downtown restaurants and Georgetown.

The two most frequently bid zones on Priceline are Downtown/White House and Convention Center/Capital Hill (with Dupont/Woodley Park being third), and should also make for a satisfying stay. Although there's some activity in those zones in the evening, they're substantially less lively than Dupont or Georgetown at night. However, there are some very good 4*'s in those two zones, so, depending on the person, it might be worth the trade off.

I wouldn't be surprised if you get a 4* for no more than $80 using Priceline. Lately, the 4*'s in Dupont/Woodley Park have been going for somewhat higher, but we know that, in the worst case, you can get something in that zone for no more than $94 using Hotwire.

All zones mentioned have easy access to Metro, except that with regard to Georgetown/Foggy Bottom, only Foggy Bottom has a Metro stop.

A public thank you to our resident Washing DC expert...

topsyturvy, i'd take some of the info above, in addition to doing some of your own research, and pick a zone(s) you'd be interested in... then we'll be able to suggest a strategy for you to follow to bid on Priceline.

Thanks travelguy and thereuare!!

I did a little research and decided that I would prefer the White House and Capitol Hill zones because they are close to the monuments etc that I want to visit. Dupont Circle is acceptable too since it seems to have a good night life and shopping district :)

I would like to stay there for 3 nights some time in the middle of July. Since the exact dates are flexible, can you help me come up with a strategy for priceline?

I already tried up to 85$ per night for a 4* in the zones I mentioned, no luck :|

Am I trying to early? And how often should I try again.

THANKS!!!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]