Priceline Hotel: New user from Mexico

edsauced
By edsauced,
in

Hi, I am a new user from Monterrey, Mexico

Here in Mexico the hotels world is quite different to USA, as here 80% of the hotels are independents, and chain hotels are usually 3.5+ stars.

I want to have a driving vacation in Texas with my wife next summer, in a low budget so I am starting to check out options. In hotels, I have found the following options:

1.- Independent "Mom and Pop" motels. These should be the cheapest, but also are a crapshoot. I am not afraid of crummy rooms, but as I will travel with my wife, we must have a clean and respectable place. There are many travel guides reliable and comprehensive about such hotels here in Mexico, but I have not found anything similar for USA. Besides, lack of any breakfast means an extra expense, and location is seldom good. So, is this really an option? Does exist a reliable guide for such hotels?

2.- Motel-6 all the way. It has fair prices, but two caveats: no breakfast and internet rates apply only in few locations for double occupancy. Still, an agreeable backup plan.

3.- Coupons. Roomsaver.com has very interesting coupons, but only in walk-in basis. This sounds good, as you can get good prices at reliable places, but I am afraid about abailavility of such deals. I suppose calling the hotel about 1 PM (or as soon as I arrive to the city) should give a better chance, but would welcome any experiences.

4.- Hotwire/Pricelist. There are often 2 star hotels at good prices, but I am afraid the "service fees" would cancel all the savings. I estimate Hotwire charges about $6 for each reservation made through them. In the $30ish range, it means a 20% increase, losing most of the savings, and adding the no-refund restrictions. In a 3+ days stay it is not a problem, but for 1-day, is not worthwhile.

So, I am currently leaning against using hotwire, but your advice is appreciated.

Regards from Mexico

Eduardo

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I estimate Hotwire charges about $6 for each reservation made through them. In the $30ish range, it means a 20% increase, losing most of the savings

20% or not... are you finding $36 rates at these other properties? I'd suspect you're more likley finding rates 50%-100% higher.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hmmm, it is not easy to compare apples to apples, but here are the options for San Antonio:

1.- Motel-6:

Northeast: $34.19

Fort San Houston $35.99 USD

By their site, 2 persons internet rate when available. Prices + Tax

2.- Coupons:

Americas Best Value Inn $28.95

Alamo Lodge Downtown $29.95

Econo Lodge $29.95

Red Roof Inn $32.99

Rodeway Inn $32.99

Ramada Limited Downtown $34.95

Executive Inn & Suites $34.95

Travelodge Suites $34.99 (su-thu)

Rodeway Inn Downtown San Antonio $35.95 (su-thu)

roomsaver.com coupons, for 2 persons in walk-in basis. Prices + Tax

3.- Hotwire (no much info about these hotels, I suppose most are Days Inn or Las Quintas):

2 * in six flags: $32

2 * in NE SA: $35

2.5 * in Six Flags: $37

2 * in NW SA: $37

2.5 in Lackland: $38

2.5 * in NW SA: $38

1 * in NW SA: $38

2.5 * in Seaworld: $39

Checked for a weekday, 2 persons. Prices + tax + fees ($6/reservation). No refunds.

Objectively speaking, the coupons beat easily motel-6 (better rooms, location and price). The comparision vs hotwire is difficult, as it is opaque. The coupons have better prices and often location (cheapest hotwire downtown is 1* $45), but hotwire has supposedly better hotels. Looks like hotwire is preferable when the budget is not so tight, as the rooms are likely better. But for a low budget, it may not be worth it.

P. S. Thanks for whe welcome, and for moving the post. I was not sure where it belongs, as it may be applicable to any state, but certainly it fits better here.

Regards from Mexico

Eduardo

Eduardo,

One major point is that a Motel 6 or almost any of the places you have coupons for are definitely 1* properties. The quality will vary WIDELY from location to location in the same chain. Of all the chains you mentioned, the only one I've had good luck with is Red Roof Inns, and still, those are hit or miss. For the other chains I've heard a lot of negative reviews.

There is generally a noticable quality difference moving up to 2*, especially if it's something like a La Quinta or a Baymont. You should consider a fourth option: using priceline.

With priceline, you'll bid a dollar amount + taxes and fees (roughly the same fees as hotwire) for a specific quality level. There's no way to know exactly which hotel you'll get. But for example, the La Quinta San Antonio (Medical Center or Northeast zones) has repeatedly been won for $27. Even with the taxes and fees, that would probably fit in your budget! It's almost certainly going to be nicer than your other choices.

The best deals on priceline hotels are often near an airport. For example, the 3* Holiday Inn at the San Antonio airport has been won for $40 recently. Priceline also often offers 2.5* bidding, for places like an Amerisuites or lower level Holiday Inn. Some of these places will give you a free breakfast. Most 2* places offer free breakfast.

You really should consider how much you're REALLY willing to spend, how important knowing EXACTLY what you'll be getting is, and what sort of location you want. When you know more, and have a more detailed plan, the people on this board can provide more specific advice for you.

(And as for your other question -- travel guides: most of us use tripadvisor.com and also the hotel reviews posted on this website. Each review is a person's individual opinion, so you have to use common sense to know who is being balanced and who may be a little nutty.)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]