Priceline Hotel: Help with travel plans..

Twirlie
By Twirlie,
in

We land in Newark at 11pm, probably closer to midnight after immigration. In hindsight JFK would have been a FAR better option but the flights were stupidly cheap so I didn't have much time to double check exactly what airport I was booking. It was a case of take what you could get!

We then fly from La Guardia at 3:15pm the next day, so will probably need to leave whatever hotel we stay in around mid-day.

I'm really at a loss to know what to do. I'm travelling with an 8 year old who is lucky enough to have visited Manhattan before. He LOVED Central Park, and I know he'd love to see times square and have a whirlwind trip back down memory lane. However hotels in manhattan are expensive compared to the alternatives.

From what I can see, a cab to Manhattan and then another to LGA is roughly the same as a cab from Newark to LGA directly. I suppose it would help to break the trip up and have 2 separate cab rides.

At midnight he's probably going to be pretty awake, given we'll have flown in from the UK and slept the majority of the way so a long cab ride at night won't be too much of an issue if I did want to stay in LGA. However hotels in Newark seem to be the cheapest, closely followed by LGA and then obviously Manhattan is the most expensive.

I'm trying to keep expenses low but I can afford any of the options - just wondering what anyone here would do?

Also is there a way to search winning bids for specific dates? It would be really helpful if I could do that. :)

Thanks for any help and sorry if this is off topic.

Also is there a way to search winning bids for specific dates? It would be really helpful if I could do that.

Of course... the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins. :)

What are the actual dates of your stay? Is it just the two of you traveling? What are the rates (and for what star rating) are you seeing around Newark?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I think you have two viable options to do this affordably...

As much as i'm not a fan of the zone, stay the nite in Long Island City. You'll (likely) beat all the potential traffic you would more likely hit the following day heading into Manhattan and then cross town, if you wake up early you can take the subway into Manhattan for a quick visit, and very close to LGA to make your plane. (if you take this option we can discuss how you want to get to Long Island City upon your arrival... one taxi complete way, combination of shuttle and taxi, or shuttle and subway, etc, etc)

Alternatively you could stay in EWR, the following day take your luggage and head via shuttle from the airport to New York Port Authority... walk to Times Square (are you traveling light enough that you and your 8 year old can manage walking with your luggage??) to take a glimpse of Times Square... then continue onward (via taxi OR via subway/bus OR via subway/taxi to LGA)

If staying at EWR i don't think you have enough time for a morning trip to Manhattan, then to return to your hotel to pick up luggage, then to head to LGA... given traffic is such an unknown you could easily not make it to LGA on time)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Your thoughts?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 months later...

Hi, we ended up staying in the Hyatt Place, Flushing which I booked through Hotels..com. Worked brilliantly - lovely room, free breakfast, McDonalds down the street for a 3am happy meal and a mall within walking distance to wander around in the morning before taking a quick cab to the airport. Would recommend it to anyone flying out of LGA.

Thank you for closing this thread with your decision and glad to see you found something that worked out well for your needs.

If you didn't, please check for and use the links in our Support Page where we have links to most of the major hotel chains and online booking agencies, including Hotels.com, or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com, when PRICELINE / HOTWIRE don't work for a particular trip.

Thanks.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]