Priceline Hotel: NYC hotel needed Jan 26-29, 2005 - pls help!

Trix
By Trix,
in

hey everyone,

I am looking to stay in a 4* hotel in NYC for the dates January 26-29, 2005 and preferably I would like to stay close to New York University in the Soho area. Can you please give me suggestions as to how much I should start bidding for that area? And actually what area that is called? I am really scared I will end up in a sketchy neighborhood close to Chinatown because it happened to my friend, or is there a better area i can stay at? I would prefer to stay in the Soho area since I have a conference there. Well any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

cheers,

jo :)

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Here is my assessment of your situation...

None of the Priceline zones overlap the NYU area (there are very few hotels in the immeidate NYU area), the closest zones are MTS and Downtown. However, the 'problem' with these two zones is that:

1) the Downtown zone extends from just south of NYU to Battery Park, so there is a (very good) chance that a hotel you receive will be near the lower tip of Manhattan if you bid this zone (or in Chinatown)

2) the MTS zone is usually very expensive at the 4* level.

If you let us know your maximum bid we'll give some additional thoughts as to your best option and suggest a strategy to follow. Also, as "NYU" covers a large area, where exactly is your conference being held?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi thereuare,

Thanks for your quick response. My conference is at the NYU Law School (40 Washington Square South, New York, NY 10012). I am not quite sure where that is...I think my maximum bid would be around $125USD, is that a reasonable amount? Or what do you think would be a realistic bid? This is my first time bidding so I don't really know...I am just worried if I bid for 3* I will end up in not a very nice place as I have stayed in really bad hotels before and don't want to make the same mistake again. Thanks again for all your help!

Cheers,

trix

Found this special and it looks like it is available for your dates:

Take advantage of warm winter rates at the Affinia Manhattan from December 19, 2005 - March 31, 2006*.

* Comfortable studio suites for $169

* Spacious one-bedroom suites for $199**

http://affinia.com/Special-Offers-NYC-Hote...iamanhattan.cfm

or call us at 1-866-246-2203 and mention code TRVZOO

It's located at 7th Ave and 31st St. I'm not familiar with the NYU area, but it looks like you could take the Subway's 1 train from 34th st to Huston

The affinia chain "does it right", but i think you can do better than the rates above if price is most important.

If you do want this hotel (which is more of a 3* than a 4*), i would also try EasyClickTravel where this property is offered for less than the rates above, although the Affinia Manhattan is listed as 'on request' for your dates.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi,

Thanks for all your help, what does on request actually mean? I have looked at the Afina and think it's alright but it's on request so I guess I'll keep looking. The EasyClickTravel website is much cheaper than the other websites I have been looking at before, thanks for suggesting that.

Also, I think I can go up to $150 on my bid on priceline/hotwire...is there a difference between these 2? Do you think that if I bid on something I would get something better than if I just chose something from EasyClickTravel? Please let me know :) Thank you so much for all your advice...it's been really helpful!

Cheers,

jo

On Request = EasyClickTravel has sold-out of their allotment of rooms, but they will contact the hotel to see if they can get additional inventory at their contracted price and therefore book your room

Given the cost and areas, i (personally) would stay in midtown where most of the hotels are, the 4* properties typically get good reviews, and the real 'value' of using the opaque suppliers is located. Of course i would only suggest this if you are comfortable taking the subway to Washington Square since subway is the quickest and least expensive way to get around the city.

If you're willing to bid the MTE, MTW, and UM/CPS zones let us know and we'll suggest a strategy.

I think I will take your advice and stay in mid-town because I guess if I can stay at a decent hotel, I can just take the subway to the conference instead of risking to find a place close by but not really worth the money I'm paying. So please suggest a strategy and which part of midtown would you suggest? I realized there a lot! Thank you so much again!

cheers,

jo

At the 4* level you have 2 re-bid zones avaiable. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask any questions you have and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTS...

Select 4* MTW and MTE...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTS and UM/CPS...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and MTE and MTS...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and MTE and UM/CPS and MTS...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Bad news...i went all the way up to $160 and still got nothing! hmm..any ideas as to what I should do? i read one of the users on the forum bid the grand hyatt for $114...is there something I am doing wrong? Do u think i will have better luck on hotwire? Please advise...thanks!!!!!!!!

cheers,

jo

I am surprised at your rejected bids, as rates are not high for these dates.

I would continue to try priceline as per the above strategy, but in the meantime book a cancellable back-up.

I did find the Eastgate Tower available for $134/nite. It is about a 4 block walk to Grand Central where you could then take a few subway options which would leave you within a 5-10 minute walk to Washington Square Park area.

The above Eastgate Tower is cancellable up until 72 hours before your check-in date, so it gives you a pretty good option (REVIEWS are excellent) and also gives you the ability to continue to try Priceline. It is another property from the above mentioned Affinia Group which i had commented "does it right".

EDIT: when searching your dates invididually, rates go up slightly on the last nite, but not enough that i would think to cause a problem. I still believe that you will eventually have success with Priceline using the above strategy (assuming rates don't go up), so use the above (or any other back-up plans you have) as a cancellable back-up and continue to try the opaque providers.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will definately take your advice and book a back-up first and then continue trying with my bidding. Is there any correlation between bidding closer to the date and bidding earlier like now? Or is it just luck of the draw?

Thanks again and I will keep you guyz updated!

cheers,

jo

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]