Priceline Hotel: 4* London (Regents Park - North London) London Marriott Hotel Maida Vale

Experimentee
By Experimentee,
in

I'm looking for a hotel in London for a 4 night stay from 7 August 2013 to 11 August 2013.

I want a 4 or 5 star hotel, and willing to pay between US $80 to $130 per night.

I'm not really bothered about which area as long as it's central, easy to get to the main tourist attractions, and close to trains and buses.

I don't know London too well but last time I went I stayed in both the Kensington area and the area around Victoria train station and both of those were nice, but I'll be ok with anywhere there is a good deal going.

Advice on a bidding strategy would be great.

Somebody more local can chime in, but i would start by looking at:

Mayfair-Soho

Westminster

Bloomsbury-Marble Arch

From there i would further look at:

Notting Hill - Bayswater

Chelsea - Knithtsbridge

See which of these zone(s) work best for your plans, if you're comfortable with train/bus access from anywhere in the zones, and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It's worth trying a few of the zones for a 4* (I wouldn't go lower in London) Lately, deals have been coming in for the Regent's Park zone from $60-$100 -- though summer might be closer to the higher end of that range. That zone is fairly central, generally PL's hotels are a short tube ride in to the sights. The worst of the hotels PL uses there appears to be the Holiday Inn Camden Lock there which is middle of the road in terms of the hotel itself (not a TERRIBLE place or anything, just average) but it is in a really neat part of the city and still close in. Or you might get lucky and land one of the better hotels they are known to use for that zone.

Theoretically, Mayfair is the most expensive zone, and perhaps lower bids in Notting Hill or Bloomsbury are worth trying. I consider both of those zones as being worthy central bases for a visit to London. I think Westminster (also very central) is likely to have similar pricing to Mayfair. Docklands would be less expensive (I have seen winning bids at what I thought were expensive times below $100) but it is not central (though has good tube access), worth bidding on if nothing within budget working in the more desirable zones and the hassle of getting in and out of there is worth it considering the savings. The two Docklands 4* appear to be a Hilton or a Crowne Plaza and they're both pretty new. And the tube is close. Docklands also isn't exactly central but it is on 2 different tube lines so reasonable for getting to the main places of interest and there is an excellent museum very close to the Hilton Docklands.

Careful with Kensington as, while there are some fabulous 4* ones there, a few bidders have won hotels that I wouldn't be so thrilled with if it were me. I recommend to only bid there if you can't get reasonable bids in another zone and this one gets accepted at a low price.

There's nothing really wrong with City/London Bridge either, it should be cheaper than Mayfair/Westminster.

The 2 known 4* in Finsbury are both very nice hotels, they're just more than 10 minutes' walk to the tube. The east end is really getting revitalized and there is certainly night life there and it is hopping. It wouldn't be a hardship to take the tube to get to a more central zone from there to see the sights.

If you bid on Chelsea you're likely to get the Copthorne Football Club which is entirely decent, less than 10 minutes' walk to the tube, but in zone 2 and slightly shabby. Or maybe you'll have really good luck and not get this property but instead get a better one. I would only bid separately for Chelsea after reasonable bids in other zones have been rejected (you can use those other more desirable zones as re-bid zones and just work the bids on this zone starting really low) and the cost savings out there make up for the fact that it's not that great a hotel and it's out of the way and its rate is quite a bit cheaper than other comparable hotels and for good reason. (ie I knowingly bid this zone and won this hotel for $120 a night when bids into the $150s were getting rejected for 4* in the Westminster, Mayfair, Notting Hill, Bloomsbury, Regent's park). You are highly unlikely to get something in walking distance to Harrod's or anywhere walkable to Sloane Square -- there are a ton of great hotels in this zone but PL doesn't seem to use them for Name Your Own Price. There is no point bidding this zone plus a nicer zone in the same opening bid at a fair price for the nicer zone because you'll end up with this hotel and be overpaying for it! (the only caveat is that if Chelsea happens to be playing a home game next door (which isn't very often), then they likely haven't given any rooms over to PL for that one night)

Ok I have decided to bid on the following zones:

Mayfair-Soho

Westminster

Bloomsbury-Marble Arch

Notting Hill - Bayswater

Chelsea - Knightsbridge

Regents Park - North London

The City and London Bridge

Last time I went to London I used Priceline and bid on the Kensington Earls Court zone and got NH Kensington and NH Harrington Hall, I was happy with those, but I will take the advice that there seems to also be some bad hotels here so will avoid it, especially since there are plenty of other zones to bid on.

We have seen many new hotels reported with the PRICELINE EXPRESS deals.

Most of the times can you undercut the price with regular bidding. But there's no difference in ratings between the two options.

I hope this answer your questions.

Let us know how we can help you further with your stay.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchases and searches.

Yellowdog.

I would bid as follows:

Select 4* Mayfair, Westminster, Bloomsbury...

Bid $75, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, Regents Park, The City...

Select 4* Notting Hill...

Select 4* Chelsea, Westminster, Bloomsbury...

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Mayfair, Regents Park, The City...

Select 4* Notting Hill and Mayfair...

Select 4* Mayfair, Regents Park, Bloomsbury...

Bid $85, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, Westminster, The City...

Select 4* Notting Hill and Westminster...

Select 4* Mayfair, Westminster, The City...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, Regents Park, Bloomsbury...

Select 4* Notting Hill and Bloomsbury...

Select 4* Mayfair, Westminster, Bloomsbury, Chelsea...

Bid $95, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Mayfair, Westminster, Bloomsbury, Regents Park...

Select 4* Mayfair, Westminster, Bloomsbury, The City...

Select 4* Mayfair, Westminster, Bloomsbury, Notting Hill...

Select 4* Chelsea, Regents Park, Mayfair, The City...

Bid $98, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, Regents Park, Mayfair, Notting Hill...

Select 4* Chelsea, Regents Park, Mayfair, Westminster...

Select 4* Chelsea, Regents Park, Mayfair, Bloomsbury...

Select 4* The City, Notting Hill, Westminster, Bloomsbury...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* The City, Notting Hill, Westminster, Mayfair...

Select 4* The City, Notting Hill, Westminster, Chelsea...

Select 4* The City, Notting Hill, Westminster, Regents Park...

Select 4* Mayfair, Westminster, Bloomsbury, Chelsea, Regents Park...

Bid $103, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Mayfair, Westminster, Bloomsbury, Chelsea, The City...

Select 4* Mayfair, Westminster, Bloomsbury, Chelsea, Notting Hill...

Select 4* Regents Park, The City, Notting Hill, Mayfair, Chelsea, Westminster...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Regents Park, The City, Notting Hill, Mayfair, Chelsea, Bloombury...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Mayfair, Westminster, Bloomsbury, Chelsea, Regents Park, The City...

Bid $108, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Mayfair, Westminster, Bloomsbury, Chelsea, Regents Park, Notting Hill...

Bid $108, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Mayfair, Westminster, Bloomsbury, Chelsea, Regents Park, The City, Notting Hill...

Bid $110

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'd do things slightly differently with which zones I'd bid on. I would put Kensington and Chelsea on the shelf for now and then only go to them if bids in these other zones don't come in at a good price. You're just likey to get a hotel not as nice as the others if you bid on Chelsea off the bat. Just knowing that Regent's Park seems to be the "deal" zone and the moment with a nice Marriott at Swiss Cottage and another at Kilburn Park coming through (with the remote possibility of the Holiday Inn Camden Lock -- but beware that PL may throw us a surprise, but this is what I am guessing in the scenario in Regent's Park at the moment), I would start there and there mix and match in the other desired zones as re-bids there. Then if bidding gets too high and nothing comes through, I would turn to Chelsea and Kensington and start with low bids there and use the other zones as re-bid zones for that bidding process.

I've tried what you suggested a couple of times without success. I keep getting a message telling me to increase my bid to $122. I guess I just have to try again in a few days.

When you get a message like that, all it means is there really is a hotel somewhere between your last bid and $122. The trick is to creep up gradually, rather than to accept the offer. Generally about 1/2 way will do, but there are instances where only 1 or 2 dollars more worked. Definitely worth trying.

Also, when bidding for non-US hotels, the currency exchange rate comes into play. If the US dollar is stronger when you bid again, the amount of your last bid might suffice. Alternatively, if the US dollar is weaker, it might take more than the $122.

Romelle

I'm just curious which zone is giving that message? Only because I would have thought that Regent's Park would be a little less than that, except that it is summer and a busier time. A lot of these really low wins were for the dark and wet months!

Every zone seemed to be giving me that message.

I would prefer not to increase the bid if possible...do you think it is possible to win something within my limits if I tried again next week?

There is a good discussion on bid timing in FAQs above. Essentially, one never knows.

If you want to pursue a last minute strategy, it can be a good idea to make back-up cancelable reservations.

You originally mentioned being willing to go to $130? Or was that only for a 5*?

You probably are pretty close. HOTWIRE has a $118 4* Regents Park, with the airport hotels being down in the $50s and $60s.

The problem of course is the more expensive weekend nights. If SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID is an option, and chance having to make a move, it could help. HOTWIRE shows $91 for a 4* Regents Park for your first two nights, but then shows $118 for the second two.

Romelle

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you were ultimately successful and at a price even a few dollars then you had already bid.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]