OR Portland Hotel deLuxe Downtown

jsa777
By jsa777,
in

• 5 months later...

When I go to Portland I always stay at the Mallory. I've never reserved through Hotwire or Priceline, though. Their restaurant is excellent (especially for breakfast) with some unusual choices. It was a favorite of James Beard's. The lobby and rooms are nicely restored to the feeling of the original early-20th-century construction, and over many visits I've noticed that the pattern of the tiles on the bathroom floors is different in almost every room. (OK, big deal, but I think it's cool.) Most rooms are on the small side, and some aren't great (either facing another wing of the hotel, or -- one example I heard about though didn't experience -- kind of behind the elevator and therefore noisy.)

• 4 years later...

We stayed here in June 2010. $80 plus fees through Priceline. Hotels in downtown Portland are not cheap, so price was good. Although this hotel is on the "edge" of downtown, a little further from shopping and parks than some others, such as the Marriott, the location is still good (and, at least through Priceline, a lower price than we would have paid elsewhere). There's a light rail stop next to the hotel (some noise for rooms on that side ofthehotel). This is an historic hotel, with lots of movie-related posters and photos, to give it a sort of old Hollywood feel. This is nice, but be advised that the rooms are smaller than in typical hotels of this level, and the walls a bit thinner. We asked to be moved from our first room, due to noise from our neighbors. While the other room had more street noise, all in all it was fine. The restaurant is nice, albeit pricey. You can find lower-priced restaurants, and some convenience stores, by walking 5-10 minutes. The bar does have some good specials, on light food and drinks during their late "happy hour" starting at 9 p.m. There is a fitness center, and a business center with free Internet access. Service at the front desk wa a little uneven, but generally good. Parking is expensive (valet only), as seems to be the case for most downtown hotels. The hotel was, all in all, just fine, especially for the price, but the prepondous of reviews gushing praise about how luxurious the hotel is, etc., on Tripadvisor.com surprised me. It semed than if a less than 5-star rating ws given by a reviewer, a 5-star review immediately appeared. The hotel is best for those who want something different, especially in the way of a hotel that is historic and boutique/trendy, and who doesn't mind smaller than usual rooms and thinner than usual rooms. For $80, I'd consider it a good buy, especially for the location, even if not luxurious.

We stayed here in June 2010. $80 plus fees through Priceline. Hotels in downtown Portland are not cheap, so price was good. Although this hotel is on the "edge" of downtown, a little further from shopping and parks than some others, such as the Marriott, the location is still good (and, at least through Priceline, a lower price than we would have paid elsewhere). There's a light rail stop next to the hotel (some noise for rooms on that side ofthehotel). This is an historic hotel, with lots of movie-related posters and photos, to give it a sort of old Hollywood feel. This is nice, but be advised that the rooms are smaller than in typical hotels of this level, and the walls a bit thinner. We asked to be moved from our first room, due to noise from our neighbors. While the other room had more street noise, all in all it was fine. The restaurant is nice, albeit pricey. You can find lower-priced restaurants, and some convenience stores, by walking 5-10 minutes. The bar does have some good specials, on light food and drinks during their late "happy hour" starting at 9 p.m. There is a fitness center, and a business center with free Internet access. Service at the front desk wa a little uneven, but generally good. Parking is expensive (valet only), as seems to be the case for most downtown hotels. The hotel was, all in all, just fine, especially for the price, but the prepondous of reviews gushing praise about how luxurious the hotel is, etc., on Tripadvisor.com surprised me. It semed than if a less than 5-star rating ws given by a reviewer, a 5-star review immediately appeared. The hotel is best for those who want something different, especially in the way of a hotel that is historic and boutique/trendy, and who doesn't mind smaller than usual rooms and thinner than usual rooms. For $80, I'd consider it a good buy, especially for the location, even if not luxurious.

(note: this review is the only one for the Hotel Deluxe; the others are for the Hotel Mallory).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]