Priceline Hotel: Advice on Bidding for the New Year Weekend in Las Vegas

KrisBash
By KrisBash,
in

Hello,

I am traveling to Las Vegas for the New Year Weekend. My plan is to stay from Dec 31 to Jan 4, a total of 4 nights.

I know since this is the new year eve and the fireworks, usually the prices for the Dec 31 and Jan 1 are higher than the remaining nights by far.

I checked the online prices for most of the hotels listed in your Hotel List and the trend is as I explained above with average rate for a 5* hotels around $340 pre night due to the high rates for first two nights. It is less expensive for the 4* hotels, though.

My question here is about the strategy I should follow on bidding through Priceline. Shall I split my bids, or try to bid for all nights at the same time?

Please also advice me on the bidding strategy for my stay!

I am planing to use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin my travel purchases.

Thanks

Kris

For best rates, I'd suggest splitting your bids. I have booked LAS hotels for January 1-4, 2012. Went with the Hilton (Convention Area) direct (through BB link) for January 2-4, 2012 as the rate was only $49/night on the Hilton web site and I can get my HHonors GOLD benefits. Still looking for a PL win on January 1st, but booked a back-up at the Embassy Suites for $129. Still hoping to do better by booking PL or HW through the BB links, but New Years Eve is a really tough date to get a great price (which is why we decided to stay home for the holiday and leave the following day). Good Luck!!

Thanks hohogap for sharing your experience!

I have booked the Marriott for $143 per night excluding taxes next to Hilton in the Convention area as a backup, but looking for a great place in one of the 5* or 4* resorts on the Strip.

Thanks AaronJB for the welcome!

I am looking to stay at 5* or 4* Hotels on the Strip whether it is north or south, it is OK. My budget is around $130 to $150 per night (average price per night since first two nights will be higher, but Priceline consider flat rate, I think). So shall I split or go for it

Any valuable advices are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Kris

I am looking to stay at 5* or 4* Hotels on the Strip...

Is something like the Westin, which is in PRICELINE Strip South zone but not directly on the strip? What about the Trump (in PRICELINE's Strip North Condo zone, as this too is located off-strip (and a bit more so then the Westin).

Depending upon the hotel, sometimes PRICELINE averages the rate, sometimes your bid needs to be enough to win each nite as if you were bidding individually.

If you want to try splitting the bid, did you want to try for the more expensive nites first so you can then determine if the remaining balance would more likely get you 5* or 4* property... or try first for the less expensive nites first to determine if your budget will enable you to stay on-strip for New Year's Eve.

I'll also point out that HOTWIRE has a 5* hotel in the Strip South zone for 1/1-1/5 for $119/nite... which based upon your $150/nite average budget, would enable you to go up to $270 for the nite of 12/31; and it just so happens HOTWIRE has a 4* South Strip hotel for $271/nite (i'm guessing this is Mandalay Bay... not sure if this is 'on strip' enough for you and better/worse then your back-up)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks thereuare for your advice.

I looked at Expedia and saw many 4* Hotels on the Strip from 1/1 to 1/4 averaging per night $55 for MGM, $79 for Monte Carlo and $83 for NYNY :) and $156 for the 5* Bellagio :). And the 12/31 night is a bit pricey.

Two points:

1. I never used HOTWIRE, so I am not sure how does it work. I checked now and it looks interesting. I belive it does not work on bidding s priceline, but gives the price and if you like it, you can buy the offer. Correct me if I am wrong.

2. My strategy will be to split the booking 12/31 alone and the remaining 1/1-1/4. I don't care if I don't stay at the same Hotel for New years eve since everybody is outside.

So do thing guys that PRICELINE will give me better prices for 1/1 to 1/4?

I will update you on my progress as well.

Thanks

Kris

That rate at MGM Grand will likely be very though to beat, imo (please use our Expedia link if you gook this property).

You can try to beat it using PRICELINE, but the issue then becomes if you're willing to 'risk' the Westin, depending upon your view of it's slightly off-strip location... if the Westin would not be an acceptable outcome then i would take the Expedia rate at MGM Grand; if you're fine with the Westin then i would consider trying to beat the $55 rate thru PRICELINE.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (or Expedia if you go that route)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]