Priceline Hotel: 4* Union Sq East or West - chk in 20 Sep - chk out 25 Sep 2011

cowparade2004
By cowparade2004,
in

Hi,

I tried to use Priceline before discovering this forum for San Francisco from 20th September, checking out 25th September 2011 ( 5 nights).

I selected USW - Nob hill 1st and then used a number of non-4* areas to re-bid, finally adding in USE later, I started at 70$ and increased to 75, 80 & 85, I can see that others have had similar wins in these areas for figures close to this.

Finally I know there's no way to tell but I would prefer to avoid the prescott in USW which seems to have been won for around 90$ around my dates. Interestingly the parc55 has been won in early October for the tiny sum of 75$ ( USE seems to have very few wins)

I am happy to pay more than the bids I have made so far but I would like the comfort of some sort of strategy, can you help?

I have also looked at hotwire, there is very little choice, which is fine, but the prices seem to be fluctuating quite significantly dependant on the dates I look at for a hotel that displays the same features.

Potentially looking to book the Marriott for around $280pn mark ( this is inclusive of all taxes) as a safety hotel, which I would then cancel.

I will use the PRICELINE link when I make my next bid.

I await your reply, many thanks,

Cowparade

Welcome to BetterBidding, cowparade2004.

There's no way to exclude the Prescott, or any other hotel, on a Priceline bid. Nine different 4* have been reported in USW zone so statistically it's not likely you'll win the Prescott, but it's always possible. To guarantee "No Prescott" you have to stick to USE zone or buy something on HOTWIRE, where the hotel can often be ID'ed in advance.

Unfortunately Hotwire's 4* in USW is $250 for your dates. I won't try to ID it at that price.

Hotels.com has the Clift in USW for $129. Does this appeal?

Longer stays like yours can be harder to win than one or two-night stays, and they tend to cost more than briefer stays (but not always). What's your bidding limit for a 4* in USW or USE?

Please use these HOTWIRE and PRICELINE links for your purchases and your searches.

Thanks for your reply, I would be more than happy with the clift at that price, however I can't see it for anything like that rate when I've looked, even using your link?!?

I guess I would be looking to pay up to $150 per night (inc taxes) for an undisclosed hotel, I would pay a little more for a named one.

Thanks again.

Yesterday the Clift was $129 on Hotels.com. It was the featured special at the top of the page. But today it's $315, so scratch that.

You've only bid to $85 in USE and USW so far. With most 4* hotels over $250 for your dates you'll need to bid higher. $150 seems like a realistic limit (and good savings from your $280 backup.)

Did you want a strategy up to $150 for 4* in USE or USW then? Are you willing to gamble on USW knowing that Prescott might come up, even if unlikely? Are any other zones (SOMA or Embarcadero) acceptable?

Please affirm your acceptable zones and someone will offer a strategy.

Please use these HOTWIRE and PRICELINE links for your purchases.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]