Priceline Hotel: 3* San Diego (Hotel Circle-Mission Valley West) Courtyard Mission Vall

citrus
By citrus,
in

Hell I'm new to the forum and I have a question that I'm sure has already been answered. I'm nervous about booking through hotwire or PL because I have read multiple things that a hotel can bump you and give your room to someone else. Is this true? and if so why? I read on this forum that someone else asked the same question and they where referred to another topic here and so i followed the link but did not find the answer to the question. Thank you for your help, Im excited to be a part of your forum and I did read "read before you post" at least most of it. ( :

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please start by reading your messages (completely).

Hotels, just like airlines, sometimes count on a given number of 'no shows' and may overbook in an attempt to maximum revenue. This is fine until everyone does show up and there are no rooms available, at which point you're typically 'walked' (industry term) to a nearby hotel. However, hotels do you try to minimize this as much as possible (it's a major inconvenience for them as well) but it can happen regardless of how you book (although those who book directly with the hotel are usually the least likely to get walked). However, this happens infrequently enough that it's not really a legitimate concern, unless you're traveling during an extremely peak time when you would expect all hotels in the area to sell out.

Where to, and when, are you traveling?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I just bid on a hotel for my parents in san diego, mission valley, ca. I ended up paying 85 a night at the Courtyard Marriott for aug 16-21. I was thinking that was a pretty good deal, but now I'm not so sure. It is regular 165 a night but I read some of the reviews on pricline after my bidding and saw that someone else not to long ago paid 55 a night. Also parking it 16! a day!, that is so ridiculous. For that price I could have easily gotten a better hotel with free parking. Does anyone have any advice? Is there anything I can do about that? It wasn't listed until after the bid and there is not free street parking. I didn't pick downtown san diego just because you have to pay for parking.

Sorry to hear you're disappointed with your win, citrus, but I think you got a pretty good deal. $85 for a hotel that costs $165 is a 36% discount...and the people who pay $165 still have to pay $16/night parking too.

I'm seeing some $50's wins for other Courtyards in San Diego, but not for the one in Mission Valley, and not for August dates, which is peak season.

Mission Valley used to be pretty much a free parking zone but in recent years more of the hotels there have started to charge, especially the higher rated hotels, 3* and up. Sheraton Mission Valley charges $14/night now and Crowne Plaza Mission Valley charges $12/night. So your parents probably would have paid to park no matter which Mission Valley hotel they won---unless they bid for a 2.5* or 2*, which might not have been as nice a hotel as the Courtyard.

Parking in Mission Valley is still a lot cheaper than Downtown. The Courtyard in Downtown San Diego charges $40/night!

Is there anything I can do about that? It wasn't listed until after the bid and there is not free street parking.

Before you placed your bid you had to initial a Terms and Condition page that stated that parking might be extra and isn't included in your bid. So I don't think Priceline will refund, if that's what you're asking.

If you're unsure about parking fees or have other questions in the future feel free to ask for help before you bid.

For these August dates I think you got a decent deal and I hope your parents have a good trip. :)

Another thing to consider is that many/most of the reviews you're reading are from users who likely paid full price... using the rates for your own dates, guests who are paying $165 may be disappointed as for that price they may expect more than this hotel delivers... but for $85 it may be a great value for the area. I've stayed in many properties where i gave it a glowing review based upon the deeply discounted rate i received... yet if i was paying full price the very same property would have fallen short of my expectations.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 months later...

just to let you know this hotel turned out wonderful from my perspective and my parents. We went over there to take naps because the beds where so comfortable and the wyndmark ones where so horrible. the place was well worth the money, the pool was heated to a perfect temp and they had towels down at the pool for you to use and dry off. Over all my parents loved it and i wish we had done the same thing.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]