Priceline Hotel: 3* San Francisco (USE) Galleria Park Hotel

slats77
By slats77,
in

Hi

We are travelling to San Fran in June for part of our big US honeymoon and wanted some advise on bidding for a 3 star hotel in the financial district or USW or USE. We will have a hire car as travelled from Vegas and from what I have read parking at hotels in San Fran is very $$$, so we are hoping to park our car at a close by garage.

Our budget is $100p/n, can you advise on a strategy to bid for something in these areas. Our goal is to get atleast a 3 star for the cheapest price.

Thanks

Hi again, slats77.

You've got a thread open for the LA part of your honeymoon. Have you made any progress with that segment?

Usually we ask that you close one thread before starting another but I think your SF dates will be easier to win than LA, so it makes sense to get SF out of the way first, if you agree.

Your $100 limit could be enough for a 4*, if you're interested. Or do you want the least expensive 3* or better?

Hi Again Colfax

I will close the LA thread, we have decided that we will wait until we arrive in LA for the first time and see where we would like to stay again for the end of our trip, its likely that we will hire a car as well.

On San Fran, the least expensive 3* or better is what we would like to do

thanks again

Thanks for the LA update. We can talk more about that in the LA thread if you want. As for SF...

advise on bidding for a 3 star hotel in the financial district or USW or USE.

Just my opinion here, but I'd bid in USE and USW first, and maybe not Financial District-Embarcadero. 4* in FD-E zone is a good option but the 3.5* Club Quarters is a business oriented hotel...not a bad place from what I hear, (I haven't stayed), but not what I think of as a "honeymoon hotel". You can check the reviews at TripAdvisor and decide for yourself if you'd like to stay at CQ. If you don't want it just bid USE and USW for now. (A 3* bid in FD-E could be upgraded to 3.5*.)

Marina-Lombard's your only free rebid zone for 3* in SF. M-L only has hotels to 2* so you can safely add it to your 3* bids in other zones without risk of getting a hotel in Marina-Lombard.

I'd start with this:

Select 3* USW and bid $45.

Add M-L and bid $50.

If rejected close browser and start a new bid:

Select 3* USE and bid $45.

Add M-L and bid $50.

If rejected close browser and start a new bid:

Select USE and USW and bid $55.

Add M-L and bid $60.

Please start each new series of bids with this PRICELINE link.

Let us know if any questions.

Good luck!

Grrrr....

I didn't see that you wanted 4* now until after I'd written the 3* strategy.

I'm done strategizing for tonight but someone will get back to you with a 4* strategy in the next day or so. Meanwhile can you clarify which zones you want to try at 4* level? If you're bidding 4* you don't have to worry about Club Quarters.

Personally I think SOMA's a good zone at 4* level too, but if Gallus50 sees this she'll probably offer a different opinion.

There might be a good option on Expedia or Orbitz or LastMinuteTravel too. Maybe hold off on bidding for a day if you can and see if anyone else on the board has some good honeymoon hotel suggestions for you.

slats77,

If it were me heading to my honeymoon in San Francisco, I would ditch the rental car while there and book the Omni through Expedia. Third night free for average of $126/nite. Saving the cost of the rental car and parking would make up the difference of the extra $26 and tax. A three day Muni pass, available at the Omni front desk, is $21 and is good for cable cars, F-line trolley, city busses, and Muni Metro.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck and congratulations.

SteveR

anyway our budget is $100pn inc taxes

$100 per night, taxes and fees included, means a maximum bid of $84.

$126 is an excellent rate for the Omni, if you can stretch your budget a bit. (And I agree with slruud about ditching the car if you're able. We can talk about that more if you want after you get your hotel.)

I'll offer a strategy for 4* in USE or USW, up to $84. You can include Financial-Embarcadero zone in this strategy if you like. Or you could bid to $84 in USE or USW zones first, and then if you don't get anything try to $84 in FD-E.

For me the 4* Hilton Financial District in FD-E zone is a little remote from "the action" and so I tend to favor USE and USW, but it's up to you.

When bidding for a 4* in SF you have five rebid zones. (Zones that only offer less than 4*.) If you need help determining your rebid zones please ask, or you can post the zone names here if you want confirmation prior to bidding.

My suggestion:

Select USE and USW and bid $69 for a 4*. (Add FD-E to that if you want.)

Then add your rebid zones, one at a time, raising your bid $3 with each, up to $84.

Please start your bids with this PRICELINE link, and Good Luck!

Thanks Colfax for your strategy, I think I will try USW & USE first. we are unable to ditch the hire car as we will be getting the hire car through HOTWIRE at a reduced rate and its a return rental so we will still need to keep it. Worse case scenario I will go to a 3* hotel or try and get something for $100p/n exc taxes, im sure I can talk my hubby into it :-)

Nice job, slats77. Galleria Park is an excellent location.

Somehow let the hotel know it's your honeymoon. You're not entitled to freebies or upgrades on a PRICELINE reservation but occasionally they happen. You might call the hotel and inquire if they have an anniversary package available as upgrade to purchase. If they do you don't have to buy it, but at least the hotel will be aware this is a special occasion, and sometimes that results in a larger room, better view, etc.

Have fun!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]