Priceline Hotel: 3* Philladelphia (Downtown) Crowne Plaza

DC Traveler
By DC Traveler,
in

Just used Priceline today and was able to get a 3* hotel dowtown for this weekend for $60/nt. It's the Philadelphia Crowne Plaza Downtown. I'm a newbie to Priceline so I bid $60/nt. since I saw a 3 star hotel on Hotwire in the same area for $69. My bid was accepted right away and I was surprised. :) Makes me wish that I had bid $60 on a 4* or that I had bid lower (maybe $45) on the 3* category.

Has anyone stayed at Crowne Plaza in downtown Philly? Any comments about the property?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Congratulation on your win and thank you for sharing your results with the rest of the board. Here are some REVIEWS of this property. Board member dahammer knows the area well and should be able to provide additional comments.

If you're bidding a new area in the future feel free to ask for a bidding strategy and we'll try to help to prevent overbids and direct you to where the 'value' in an area is (sometimes the 3* are so much cheaper than the 4* that they represent a much better value... sometimes the 4* are only a little bit more than the 3* and bidding should start with that zone).

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Crowne Plaza is probably a better hotel for business travellers, as it is in a part of center city that is 4 blocks west of City Hall. For your weekend trip, you should not be disappointed with this property. The address of the hotel is 1800 Market Street, this is closer to the "Art Musuem" are of the city than the "Old City" zone which features many historic sites, such as Independance Hall and Christ Church. Hotwire and Priceline zones are different in Philadelphia, so I'm not sure what 3* Hotel was featured for $69; this may have been the Holiday Inn at 4th and Chestnut. Did you start your bid with a 4* property? TripAdvisor.com has some mixed reviews of this property, but with just about any property, there is praise mixed with disapointment. Don't beat yourself up for thinking that you bid too high for a hotel, because what's done is done and your rate for two nights is probably the same or less than the one night rate if booked directly with the hotel. By monitoring this board, and asking for advice before you bid, you will get better accomodations at lower rates on your next trip. You will be pretty close to a great brew pub called Nodding Head on Sansom Street.

Looks like there is a garage operated by the Philadelphia Parking Authority at 20th and Sansom Street, this is about 4 blocks away, and has weekend rates of $9.00 per 24 hours; standard rates are $15 but No in/out privileges. Here is the website: Phila Parking Authority There is little on street parking nearby, but you may want to save some quarters to feed the meter. Enjoy Philly!! You will be really close to the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, I think this is the oldest Art Musuem in the US.

Just got back yesterday from Philly. I liked the Crowne Plaza Center City. Was given a room on the 23rd floor which you needed a special key for in the elevator since it is for Priority club members. The room was nice, the bed was great and there was also free high speed internet.

I tried the place that Hammer recommended (Nodding Head Brewery) and it was awesome. Had a muffaletta sandwich which rocked and a great amber ale called "60 Schilling". I'd highly recommend the place too. Thanks, Hammer for suggesting it.

The location of the hotel was great...easy to walk around, convenient to great shopping and restaurants and bars.

I tried Philly Cheesesteaks at the two landmarks...Geno's and Pat's. I prefer Pat's. The Italian market area on S. Philly is great too. Brought home some great food from there.

Near the hotel is a great sandwich place on 18th called Tony Luke JRs. Not the original Tony Luke's but still awesome. I had a roast pork, broccoli rabe and sharp provolove sandwich that was AWESOME.

All in all, I loved Philly and will definitely be back. It's definitely an underrated vacation spot. :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]