Hotwire Hotel: 3* Newark (Secaucus-Meadowlands) Hyatt Place

mtgal
By mtgal,
in

I'm going to speculate that the Sheraton may have been downgraded to the 3* level and added a Smoke Free icon, and that would be my best guess.

Are you familiar with and/or need to be in this area, as it's not frequently used for a multi-nite stay, more often just for pre/post flights, as there is not really too much in this immediate area. Are you intending to use this as a cheap alternative to staying in NYC?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

No, I'm not familiar with the area. I'll be spending just a couple of days in New York and flying to London out of the Newark airport, so wondered if it might be a serviceable, cheap alternative to staying in New York. Any advice on that issue?

Thanks for your guess on the identity of the hotel.

Jersey City would be a better zone to consider as its closer to NYC with better mass transit options. Staying in the Newark Airport zone or Elizabeth zone is generally not recommended because the commute into the city is time consuming and less convenient. Also, what is your maximum budget per night and minimum star level you'll accept for this trip? How many in your party? Would you consider staying in Manhattan since summer rates may be more moderate?

Newark Airport usually has inexpensive hotel rates, but even still, it's not convenient, nor worth the hassle, of using this as a Manhattan substitute (an argument could be made differently if you have a car, but even still, it's generally not recommended)

As dahammer mentioned, Jersey City is usually considered the best area in NJ to use outside of Manhattan, but given this is the summer, rates in NYC should be fairly reasonable (on a relative basis). Ultimately your budget will be the limitting factor.. what is your maximum budget for this leg of your trip?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well, I am a cheapskate and really don't want to go over $100/night if possible! :) 2 Adults and 2 Children in the party. Thanks to both of you for sharing your knowledge. I am thinking I will find a better location for the nights of July 16th and 17th, then maybe relocate close to the airport just for the night of the 18th since we have a fairly early flight out on Monday morning (the 19th). So I'll have a look at Jersey City and any other zones you would recommend. Do you think my budget is unreasonably low?

re: star level, I'd love to have a 3-star but would look at a 2.5 star.

Your budget is probably a bit low at this point in time, but given this is summer it wouldn't surprise me if rates eventually came down a little from there. Given you're 2adults/2children HOTWIRE is likely you're only option, and currently they're showing a 4* hotel in the Jersey City zone for $135/nite.

Being a planner, I decide not to wait and see if the Manhattan hotels come down in price on HOTWIRE, so I booked a Secaucus-Meadowlands hotel, details below:

3* Hyatt Place Secaucus/Meadowlands

July 16-18

2 Adults, 2 Children

$83/night plus $29.48 fees = $195.48

Amenities:

Non smoking

Breakfast

Fitness

Business Center

High Speed Internet

Recommended in 95% of customer reviews (I looked up the Hyatt Place on tripadvisor and found the matching %age). The reviews I read there said you can catch a bus across the street from the hotel and be at Times Square in as little as 15 minutes.

Thanks, again, for helping me navigate!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]