Hotwire Hotel: Completely new and confused

wendys328
By wendys328,
in

Hi. New to this. I normally use Expedia.com only because that was the only advertisement I normally saw on tv. But I decided to check a couple other sites and maybe compare rates. Found Hotwire and was shocked by the low rates. Didn't think that could be right, so I decided to Google them to see if I can find some feedback on them, good or bad. That's how I came across this site. Read a couple posts. Even read that "about hotwire and priceline" forum. Still doesn't help me understand Hotwire. My question is, are those rates really how much you're paying for the room? Of course with the possibility of "resort fees" which I read in another forum. And also, so you aren't going to know what hotel it is until you actually pay for it? I'm going to Springfield,MO (I know, not the best vaca but my family live there). I'm leaving in a few weeks. Now I also read somewhere that the rates may be different if someone else is looking at that same rate? Oh, I don't know. I guess I just want to make sure that Hotwire is reputable site. Any help would be welcome. Thank you.

You won't know the hotel until you pay for it. I have used Hotwire many times and as far as I am concerned the price you pay is the price you pay. The only time I ever paid a dime when I checked out of my hotel was when I charged a bar tab to my room. The site is very reputable, in fact, its owned by the same folks as Expedia.

If you search HOTWIRE using for your dates and post everything out here, the members can at least give you an idea of what you are in store for, if not figure out exactly what hotel you are getting.

Are people sometimes disappointed by the hotels they receive? Sure. But they have a lot of satisfied customers, including me.

wendys328, welcome to BetterBidding!

HOTWIRE and PRICELINE are for real. The reason the prices are so low is that hotels use these services to fill unsold rooms. They figure it's better to make something than nothing...

To balance out the low price, keep in mind:

- You have no choice which room in the hotel you receive. For PRICELINE, your reservation is guaranteed for two people, which means a minimum of one double bed (or two single beds). The hotel may charge more for a different kind of bedding - or not allow you to choose it at all. For hotwire, you can select up to four people and the hotel will provide bedding for that many people - but this could mean a double bed plus a sofa bed or rollaway.

- Your room might be the smallest in the hotel... or right next to the elevator... or on the first floor... or a smoking room... remember, you're getting whatever they couldn't sell. You're welcome to make whatever requests you want but the hotel is under no obligation to accommodate you.

- Your purchase is final, whether you like the hotel you receive or not. No changes, no cancellations.

- With PRICELINE, you have no idea what hotel you'll receive - only that it will be of a certain quality star level and within the boundaries of a particular zone. With HOTWIRE, you'll at least know some of the amenities of the hotel, which can give you an educated guess of what it might be.

For most of us, those negatives are easily offset by saving as much as 50% (or more)...

Take a look around this site to see other people's wins and read the advice information. This I've Never Used Priceline or Hotwire page may also help introduce you. If you would like help with a particular stay, please post the location, *-level, budget, and dates here.

Sorry, not to "bump" this thread again. Just wanted to say thanks. That information was very helpful and answered exactly what I needed to know. As far as someone asking me to post my "wins" I have no idea what you all are talking about. Just looking to get more information on this. Now with where I'm trying to book a stay at....

Where:Springfield,MO

Dates:07/24-07/26

Star rating:3 star if possible

Cost: Well most places I been looking at is for 93 dollars, but that is for a King bed which is what I prefer. But I wont spend more than 100 dollars/night.

Also, maybe you would know. Are rates cheaper if you set it up a couple days before your reservation?

Based upon the information above, are you more interested in the lowest possible price (PRICELINE) or willing to pay a little more for it and have an educated guess as to what you may likely receive (HOTWIRE)

Depending upon which you choose, click the corresponding PRICELINE or HOTWIRE link and look at the zones which make up this area... which zone(s) are you willing to accept? If HOTWIRE, what are the amenities associated with the property you're being offered which interests you?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]