Priceline Hotel: 4* San Francisco (SOMA-Moscone Center) Marriott

yowzatx
By yowzatx,
in

I'm specifically targeting the Union Square East area, and looking for the right strategy and pricing suggestions. Using Hotwire rates as a guideline, it has a 4.5* (InterContinental) for $126, but no 4* USE hotel shows up at all.

When I change to an end date of 12/01 instead of 12/02, the Westin Market Street shows up, but at $133 (and the InterContinental drops down to $119). I've stayed this same time period before and usually got excellent rates - under $100. I would prefer not to split the dates, since that's kind of a hassle.

So do you only want to bid the USE zone up to $110... or are you really looking for the least expensive 4* or better hotel for this stay in any of the Downtown zones? (if the latter, which zones are you willing to accept)

Let us know and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I don't want to end up on Nob Hill, which I is a chance with the new USW-Nob Hill alignment.

So my thought process is: try to get a USE on Priceline for under $110 (preferably lower, but I'm willing to pay that much to be where I want). If that doesn't work, then I'll go with the Hotwire $99 USW (which doesn't put me a risk of ending up too far away from Union Square). I realize other areas are convenient to Union Square, using public transport, but it's still nice to be able to just walk out your door and be in the main area.

Understood...

At the 4* level you have FOUR re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Start with our link to PRICELINE

Select 4* USE...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* USE and re-bid zone4...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $110

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sorry to introduce confusion this late in the process but when you say you want to be in USE, yowzatx, do you mean USE as defined by Priceline or by Hotwire? They don't define the zone the same.

You mention Intercontinental and Westin Market Street as acceptable. Those are in Hotwire's USE zone but if you want those hotels on Priceline you need to bid the SOMA-Moscone zone, not USE. Since the recent zone changes Priceline's USE zone has become a small zone with only two reported 4* hotels---the Grand Hyatt and Le Meridien.

If Priceline's USE and SOMA-Moscone are both acceptable you can still follow the strategy thereuare provided. Just add SOMA-Moscone to your first bid.

I've kind of done this before, but I want to clarify:

My rebid zones are: Civic Center, Fisherman's Wharf and South? Those are the only areas without 4* hotels. I can't find a match-up on the better bidding hotel list with the Priceline areas Marina-Lombard Street, so I wasn't going to risk that one.

Yes, I understand the difference in the Hotwire and Priceline areas. I had not noticed, though, that the SOMA area had been added. I didn't see Westin Market Street anymore in USE (Priceline) and thought it wasn't available. So now I will probably add SOMA to my options when bidding on Priceline. I would be fine with any of the 4* hotels listed for that area, although a couple of them are slightly further out.

I can't find a match-up on the better bidding hotel list with the Priceline areas Marina-Lombard Street, so I wasn't going to risk that one.
As per the comments at the top of the PRICELINE HOTEL LIST, the hotel lists should NOT be used to determine your re-bid zones.

From Priceline Re-Bidding Explained:

The way to check what star levels are available in each zone is to open a Priceline page, check ONLY the zone you are inquiring about, and then proceed to the next page (as if you were going to select a zone)... this will give you the available star ratings in that area. You can then hit BACK on your browser, uncheck the current box, check the next box, and repeat the process. It is important to do this before EACH attempt at adding a zone that you really don't want, as new hotels can be added and the star ratings can change at any time. (NOTE: for most users Priceline has updated their interface making the above process easier... simply check a zone and note the highest star rating available within each zone, UNcheck that zone and checkmark the next zone, repeating the process)

Try using the above and confirm your FOUR re-bid zones with the board.

So now I will probably add SOMA to my options when bidding on Priceline
Please confirm that you're now willing to bid both the SOMA and USE zones and we'll revise the strategy accordingly.

Upon closer inspection not much of a change in strategy. Feel free to confirm your re-bid zones if you're unsure.

Select 4* USE and SOMA...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* USE and SOMA and re-bid zone4...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $110

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Congratulations on your win!

Glad to hear the location, and price, work well for your plans.

Can you confirm that the Marriott you won is in the (SOMA - Moscone Center) zone?

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

On my last visit I originally booked Hotel 480, then got a bit nervous about the quality, and lucked out with a Priceline bid for the Westin St. Francis. But looking at the reviews on Trip Advisor, it appears it is headed in the right direction.

It's been a long time since I've stayed in a Marriott, so this upcoming trip should be interesting. I've been at both the Westins on my last visits and have been very happy, especially with the Westin Market Street.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]