Priceline Hotel: how to bid for Boston hotel

LizAndNZ
By LizAndNZ,
in

can you advise strategy for bidding for an hotel in Boston, preferably airport area or maybe central. we will not have a car so need to be close to transport links. Arrive late 17 Oct 08 and leave mon 20 Oct 08. I would like to go no higher than $110 per night plus taxes if possible. Prefer 3 stars plus. I already tried to bid today - no luck on 4 stars at that level then read some posts on your site and realised you may be able to advise me better. Am i being unrealistic? Great site.

Rates are currently very high for these dates (not sure if something is happening in town or if rates will drop as you get closer to your check-in)... but why do you want to stay at the airport for a 3nite stay? If you're doing 'touristy' stuff i would think you'd be better situated in the Copley Squrae or Quincy Market zones, no?

Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We wanted to stay near airport as we fly in Fri night (8:35pm) on a long-haul from NZ and wanted somewhere nearby to crash, preferably with a shuttle to meet us at the airport. Then we fly out to Niagara early Mon morning. We read that there are good transport links from the airport into the tourist spots and figured a hotel shuttle would probably be available at 3+ star hotels to ferry us between hotel & transport. Flaw in this plan is that everywhere reasonalby priced seems to be booked solid. Apparently there is "Head of the Charles" on that weekend - don't know what that is but it sure is popular. DO you think we would be better to revise this plan and find somewhere closer to town? Are the rates lower in the areas you suggest on that weekend?

I just got back from Boston we bid and won downtown Boston 125.00 per night 4* it was the Hyatt it was close to China town. It was on the boarder of a not so great area. The parking in Boston is high but found parking outside across the street for 22.00 a day/night as long as your car was left there for the day/night we walked most places. There was a subway 1 block away.

tough crowd in boston.. I've been bidding on 3 and 4 star hotels with no success. My last offer was $150 dollars and was rejected. I left it at that. Is that offer now finished with?

Do you always get an accept/decline to your offer immediately or can it be left open (overnight for example)?

When I try again tomorrow will I be starting from Scratch again?

redhead,

Please start a NEW TOPIC for your win so that others will see it when scanning the board topic titles and so that it will appear in our Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins.

venter,

Please start a NEW TOPIC for your own stay.

LizAndNZ,

Having just returned from Boston i would reiterate my thoughts on staying directly downtown. Although there is a T stop at the Airport, you would need to take the hotel shuttle to the airport, then take the T into downtown, which after awhile, waiting for the hotel shuttle, then waiting for the train, gets quite tiresome. However, rates are high for your dates and i think you'd be very lucky to get anything (in any of the downtown areas or the airport) for $110 or less. We'll suggest a strategy for you to follow based upon whatever you decide, but i would recommend including as many zones as possible (ie- include the Airport zone as well as the Downtown zones) as i think this is going to be a tough win at the 3* level or higher at $110 or less.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your thoughts and thanks to other contributors too. I am happy to follow your advice on this and widen the search and would appreciate your bidding strategy. As a backup, I have managed to secure accommodation $160 incl tax per night. Do you think I should wait until a little closer to the time before trying to bid again at a 3 or 4 star? if so, how close to the time and what should I expect to pay?

I would continue bidding... you dont' need to bid everyday, but twice a week or so at this point is sufficient (assuming you have the time to bid)

What hotel did you book as a back-up? Is $110/nite still your maximum bid? Are both the (Copley Square - Theatre District ) and (Quincy Market - Faneuil Hall - Financial District) zones acceptable? While i commented earlier that a 3* at $110 or under may be difficult based upon current prices, did you want to try for a 4* up to your limit first and then try for a 3*... or is the least expensive 3* or better what you're seeking for this stay?

Let us know the above and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

I'll try bidding twice a week then. I booked a B&B, not an hotel. Not my first choice as reviews are mixed - most are good but a few not so good - and it seems a long way from airport but reading elsewhere on this site I see that many others have been advised to have a backup, so I decided this is good sensible advice in the interim. Cancellation is without penalty up to one week out. I would like to bid to the max that will result in paying up to $150 INCLUDING taxes. Preferably would like to try 4* first then try for 3*

At the 3* level you have three re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* Copley Square...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Quincy Market...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Copley Square and Quincy Market...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the advice, however, I have tried using the tips for a hotel room from August 28th to Septermber 2nd to no avail. Why does priceline give me a different message after I have chosen 4 bid zones than 1 or 2? For the most part, I get a message saying that priceline is unable to process my request due to a duplicate reservation. And then I'll get a message saying my offer was not accepted and to change my options, even though I've selected the bid zones and my bid is the highest yet.

• 3 weeks later...
Having just returned from Boston i would reiterate my thoughts on staying directly downtown. Although there is a T stop at the Airport, you would need to take the hotel shuttle to the airport, then take the T into downtown, which after awhile, waiting for the hotel shuttle, then waiting for the train, gets quite tiresome. However, rates are high for your dates and i think you'd be very lucky to get anything (in any of the downtown areas or the airport) for $110 or less. We'll suggest a strategy for you to follow based upon whatever you decide, but i would recommend including as many zones as possible (ie- include the Airport zone as well as the Downtown zones) as i think this is going to be a tough win at the 3* level or higher at $110 or less.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

I agree the hotel shuttle ride to the airport T station, then jumping on the T on the blue line into downtown can be become tiresome. I recommend for next time you are staying at Logan and want to go downtown that you try the Harbor Taxi (water taxi). Catch the water taxi from the dock behind the Hyatt Harborside and it drops you off at Long Wharf just a stones throw from Quincy Market. Awesome view of the city when travelling across the Harbor, beats seeing concrete tunnels in the T. They run all day tilll about 10pm and it only takes a few minutes and a few bucks for the spectacular ride.

thanks for the advice from all about transportation from the airport hotels. At the moment though, it is all academic as I have not had any luck on Copley Square / Quincy market which I have been trying every week for the last 5 or so nor the Airport area which I have only attempted this week. Still 3 weeks to go so, who knows - maybe a late bid will do the trick??

I'm following exactly your strategy above and bidding up to $130 for 3.5/4 * for Copley Square and Quincy using 3 rebid zones. This is Plan A. Am about to try again.

Logan I have only tried once on a different day and went to $100 on 4* using 3 rebid zones . What do you think? This would really only be a Plan B - Copley Square and Quincy are still my main target.

Do you have a cancellable back-up?

Yes, cancellable without penalty up to one week out. Which is Friday next week. This is Plan C.

Not sure how far the B&B is to the train station, or how far of a trip it is to Downtown, but i would find out this info first. Assuming it's more than 20-30 minutes (which it appears to from the map) i would at least match the price of your back-up reservation when bidding as it would be worth it to me to be closer to Downtown. I'll add that i'm not a B&B type of person and i prefer a hotel, but for some they may prefer the B&B and only choose to bid for a hotel if they could save money vs. the B&B (although the location of your back-up seems like a negative as well, relatively speaking)

If you're willing to SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID, i would think you could at least get Sunday nite within your budget.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]