Priceline Hotel: Is 74,000 a large convention for Chicago?

kennancat
By kennancat,
in

I'm looking to book a trip to Chicago and trying to decide if I want to use Priceline or not. The weekend that I'm looking at has the National Restaurant Association in town for their annual convention. I've seen estimates that there will be 74,000 attendees. This seems like a large convention to me, but I'm not familiar enough with the area to judge.

Is this for mid-May... see AaronJB's reply in this thread Chicago Restaurant Convention.

Yes, it is. Thanks for the link - I had searched on "convention" on this board and had not come across that particular thread. We've got family commitments in the area at that time, so we unfortunately can't choose a different weekend. We will due our best to work around the convention (and sounds like we'd better make some restaurant reservations too!).

If you have family in the 'burbs, I'd be very happy to try and suggest some nice suburban hotel options. It would be a bit of a trip if you wanted to come into the city, but hotel prices would certainly be cheaper.

I'd be very happy to research and see what I can find in the city and otherwise.

I've bumped our flight dates up so that we'll overlap less with the convention. Our plan now is to get in the evening of Tuesday, May 13, and stay at a downtown hotel until Friday, May 16. On Friday, we'll move out into the 'burbs for the wedding. We've already got our hotel for that part of the stay, but thanks for the offer, AaronJB; I appreciate it.

For the downtown hotel, I'm now definitely planning to use Priceline. Saving money on that part of the trip will make me feel better about having paid change fees to the airline :) I've looked over the guidebooks and I think the Millennium Park zone will be closer to what we want to do. I'd like to keep our total hotel stay including taxes and fees under $500 plus parking. It looks like that works out to about a max of $140 per night before Priceline adds anything else. I'd be happy with a 3 or 4 star, but I'm thinking to start with a 4 star bid so that I can use the Midway zone for a free rebid. I'll probably start at $70 and bump up by $10 until I find something. Please feel free to pass along any suggestions or concerns with this plan.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]