Priceline Hotel: Advice needed for Paris in March

maxneust
By maxneust,
in

Hello everybody! First of all, I want to give my thanks to the creators of this forum for helping all of us with the bids.

Now, here's the thing: I'm getting married in March (the 8th) and our honeymoon will be in Europe, we'll be there two weeks and we think we'll be going to Rome, Venice, Prague and Paris in that order. We are in some kind of a budget (I'm from Argentina, she's from Mexico... so currency is not on our side :)), but at least in Paris I'd like to find a 3.5 or 4* hotel in a good location. I'll see how that goes and may ask for help for the other cities aswell.

I've seen some successful bids on the forum for $90-$100 for 4* on high season, so maybe I can find some nice and well located hotels for that price, right? I'd love to stay below $100.

What are your suggestions? Do you need any extra info?

Thanks a bunch!

Max

Hi, thanks! :)

I think dates will be from March 19th to Marth 24th, and zones, I really don't know. From the research I've done on the net I guess everything but La Defense would be fine. If there's any particular zone you'd like to recommend, go ahead :) If not, any other zone is fine.

Thanks in advance!

I think dates will be from March 19th to Marth 24th, and zones, I really don't know

Rates are date specific, and are in a constant state of flux, and bidding strategies/amounts change accordingly.

Let us know once your plans are firm and we'll take a look at current rates for the dates of your stay at that time.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi! Yep, 3/19-3/24, 4* max bid $100.

Zones are:

Bastille - Bercy

Batignolles - Montmartre - Republique

Champs Elysees - Opera Quarter West

Eiffel Tower - Grenelle - Montparnasse

Opera Quarter East - Les Halles

St. Germain - Latin Quarter - Montparnasse

That is, all but La Defense. I have checked and all of these zones seem to be ok for me, however if you consider any of these may not be suitable for honeymooners, please exclude, you surely have more knowledge than me :) If not, I'm fine with all of those.

Thanks a lot!

Maxi

The zones that have 4* are always subject to change. But take a look again at the Batignolles - Montmartre - Republique zone. Right now, it only allows up to 3* bidding.

The 4* zone that I would worry about is Eiffel Tower - Grenelle - Montparnasse. There are several good hotels that are well-located in this zone, but there's also one that is poorly located (just outside Paris boundaries) and poorly reviewed - the Sofitel Porte de Sevres. (Actually that is its old name - now it's the Pullman Paris Rive Gauche as of December 5). So if you include it, keep in mind the risk you are taking.

Hi guys,

I didn't see the small part of Eiffel Tower - Grenelle - Montparnasse that was out of city boundaries :) Thanks for the heads up.

thereuare, then please exclude that zone; and about the max bid, since I saw some others getting some 4* hotels for 90-100 here on the board even on high season, I thought $100 would be a good number. What's your suggested max bid?

Thanks!

You can set your budget at whatever level you feel comfortable, i just wouldn't be surprised if it took more than $100/nite.

You're bidding enough zones that we can suggest a strategy that starts well below $100 and gradually increases, making sure you don't overbid, but i can't say how high you're willing to go at this point in time.

Let us know and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

At the 4* level you have on re-bid zone available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Bastille...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Champs...

Bid $70, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Opera Quarter East...

Select 4* St Germain...

Select 4* Bastille and Champs...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* OQE and St Germain...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Bastille and OQE...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Champs and St Germain...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Bastille and St Germain...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* OQE and Champs...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* OQE and Champs and St Germain...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* OQE and Champs and Bastille...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

...and if you get this far and want to go one more round:

Select 4* St Germain and Bastille and Champs...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* St Germain and Bastille and OQE...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Should I wait and try again, or just lower prices and stars?

It depends...

Is $120 your maximum budget and what do you expect from your hotel stays?

I was disappointed in the hotel i chose for my own Paris trip. It was a solid 3*, but in Europe a 3* is very different than a 3* here in the US, and i would be hesistant to book a 3* in Europe again.

I guess it is, I may stretch up to $130 but not a dollar more, it is already a little out of our budget. I'd really like to stay in a nice hotel in Paris, it is the city we look forward to meet the most, and it is our honeymoon!!! Do you think increasing $10 in each one of the bids you recommended me for the next strategy would be a good approach?

Thank you soooo much!

Oh, by the way, it may be useful info for you: when making the bids I got a couple of counteroffers for $158 and $163.

I'd suggest looking for a backup (non-Priceline), cancellable hotel to book that meets your budget. Then at least you'll have the peace of mind so that you know you will get something somewhere that is in your price range, because this seems to be a relatively expensive time (although that seems to be most of the time in Paris, lately).

Basically you are allowing about 90-95 Euros per night (considering the USD/Euro exchange rate, taxes, and fees) and that does not go very far in Paris, even for a 2* hotel, if booking conventionally.

Thanks for your suggestions WillTravel, I guess I will end up doing that and keep trying with priceline. I went all the way up to $135 thru savingsbarn.com link and nothing came up :)

If anyone has any idea that may increase the chances of winning (other than willing to pay more :)), please pitch in your two cents.

Thanks!

Max

One thing that I notice for the Marriott Rive Gauche (which is the 4* hotel that has been reported here with some ~$90 bids lately) is that its regular rate is 295 Euros per night for March 19-21, and 175 Euros per night for March 21-24 (which is a weekend).

This suggests to me that if you are willing to split your bid, you have a chance of winning with a lower amount on March 21-24. March 19-21 might be very hard to win at any sort of reasonable price. Anything could happen, but I would suggest checking the rates on other popular 4* hotels and see if this pattern holds up.

Some people hate switching, and some don't mind - so it's up to you whether you would want to take this risk.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd post this for those struggling to find a good hotel in Paris at a good price. I have found it tough to bid through Priceline for a quality/luxury hotel since the elimination of the 4*+ category in Paris. With so many not-so-hot 4* hotels, it makes bidding risky.

Hotel rates through conventional means are extremely high during March, but I found this deal: Hotel Francois 1er & Keppler, both owned or managed by the same company are offereing "free night" when you purchase 2. You cannot get the deal through the hotel website, but you can get it on Otel.com, GTA Hotels.com & Skoosh.com. FYI, GTA Hotels.com offers the deal for their Executive Rooms too, which are a bit larger. 3 nights will average for a standard room $190 or for executive $214 (with tax, my executive came to $252.00 per night and includes breakfast). Both hotels are reviewed extremely well on TripAdvisor.com. Hope this helps someone!

Hoping to hear an update from the original poster! This would only work for some nights of the original poster's stay, but it's a pretty good deal for a 4* hotel:

http://ca.deals.travelzoo.com/worldwide/361413

We are going to be in Paris from March 21-24, and I booked this hotel on www.hrs.de for 80 Euros per night including breakfast: http://www.parishotelmarciano.com

It appears you can get a 70 Euro rate without breakfast for a 3-night stay. It's definitely not a 4* hotel. I'd say a mediocre 3* hotel, although recently refurbished. However, the location works well for us on this trip. Hotwire lists a higher rate for a 3* hotel in this area, and from reviews of what I think the hotel is, I don't think the Hotwire hotel is any better.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]