Priceline Hotel: 3* newark airport 5/9 to 5/13

CBC373
By CBC373,
in

I tried bidding USD45/50/55 for newark airport 3* with rebid at Elizabeth and Jersey City and all were unsuccessful. Period is May 9-13.

I tried searching recent priceline wins for 3* Newark and they were in the USD45-55 range.

I am staying in the same area again on May 19-22 and I tried bidding 50/60/65 for the same Newark Airport with rebid and all were rejected as well.

I'd appreciate any inputs. Does anyone have an idea of a realistic price for my 2 hotel stay.

Thanks.

We'll only cover one set of dates per thread, so we'll use this thread to discuss your 5/9-5/13 stay since that one is first.

My first question is: Do you have business in this area? It's really not a feasible or recommended area if you're trying to commute into NYC (if that is the intended purpose of this stay).

What is your maximum bid for this leg of your trip?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It's a pleasure trip. And yes, I will be commuting to New York most of the time. Manhattan hotel rates are off my budget. I guess I am willing to go up to 90.

I also considered Jersey City but I could not get 3* Jersey City at 85 also.

What is my best recourse or where should I stay if I will be commuting to Manhattan most of the time?

I will be arriving by air into newark liberty. Then I guess I can take a the PATH or train or bus to Jersey City, I have not researched that part yet. What is the most cost efficient way to get from EWR to Jersey City

As much as possible I prefer not to split my stay. I am also considering 2* or 2.5* in Jersey City. I placed bids at 2.5* for Jersey City on May 9-13 and was rejected at USD70. What should be my bid strategy? Any free rebid zones?

If I were to split my stay how should I do it?

Thanks.

If you're not familiar with the area i would urge you to read a bit more or take my advice... you don't want to commute to Manhattan every day from the EWR area.

I would re-think your gameplan on where to "compromise"...

If you split your stay, i think you have a very good chance at being successful for the last two nites of your stay at a 3* hotel in Jersey City for $65 (if not, then not much more than this)... making your commute to Downtown Manhattan 10 minutes vs 60+ minutes.

If you split you'll still have a bit of trouble for the first two nites of your stay, but perhaps we can take some of the savings on the last two nites and find you something nearby for the first two nites. Worst case scenario is that you stay by EWR for the first two nites and then change hotels for the last two nites... but by the last two nites i'm fairly certain you'll be tired of the EWR-->Manhattan commute.

Your thoughts?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

There are only a handful of hotels (four to be precise) that you'd want to stay in within the Jersey City area... these hotels are also typically much busier midweek vs. weekend; so it could be tough to get a hotel at $90 or under for these dates.

However, as i pointed out above, i still think you'd be better staying the weekend in Jersey City, even if it means staying in the EWR zone for the previous nites of your stay.

would the 4 hotels by any chance be the candlewood, courtyard, hyatt and doubletree?

i went thru the forums again and saw some bids at 96 which were accepted at candlewood suites. i think i might just give candlewood suites another try at usd91-96.

thanks a lot. will let you know how it works out.

if you're willing to split your bid, for the dates of 5/11-5/13, there is a 4* available on HOTWIRE Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, Internet for $104. This should be the Hyatt in Jersey City. You should be able to get this on Priceline for a lower bid, but understand that you could also end up with the Doubletree if you bid at the 3* level in Jersey City. For your dates of 5/09-5/11, it appears that the Candlewood is available on HOTWIRE for $175. Good Luck!

would the 4 hotels by any chance be the candlewood, courtyard, hyatt and doubletree?

Yes, I guess the Holland Motor Lodge didn't make the cut :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]