Hotwire Hotel: Advice Needed

grtanner
By grtanner,
in

We're coming from Scotland to the West coast in July. After a week at Disneyland, and a week in San Diego, we want to spend a week at a nice beach hotel in/around Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Venice Beach, etc. These are only names to me, and I need avice on which is best for a relaxing week! Sandy beaches, boardwalk, some fun things for a 5-year-old.

Any advice is appreciated, along with suggestions on hotel to try to get through Hotwire/Priceline.

Thanks.

Gary

Hi, I grew up and live in the southern Cal coastal area so here are a few of my favorites- (I also have kids)

#1. Laguna Beach - artist colony type town, small main beach with boardwalk and playground area, but very popular and will be crowded in summer. Great restaurants, lots of atmosphere, cool area, south of Newport Beach. Mostly small hotels, some very pricey, make sure there is parking at the hotel. If money is no object stay at the Surf and Sand, eat on the water at Splashes. Eat lunch at Splashes even if you dont stay there. From Laguna, make day trip to Dana Point Harbor. There is a marine center where kids can do hands on sea creature things and also a small area we call baby beach that is protected from waves.

For a treat, between Laguna and Dana Point is the Ritz Carlton hotel. Go have a drink there at Sunset, listen to the piano player,..........ahhh the good life.

#2. San Clemente- Historic beach town, nice small downtown area, more hotels to choose from. Many beaches, T street is a favorite with kids, has bathrooms and snack bar. Bring lots of quarters for the parking meters. There is a "Timeshare" San Clemente Cove which rents out 1 & 2 bedroom units that are right across from the main beach and pier. If you want a real CA experience- ask for directions to "Old Mans" Beach, get there about 4 pm, bring dinner, beachtowels, folding chairs and firewood (+alcoholic beverage of choice) watch the old guys surfing then have a sunset and a bonfire. The best.

#3. Huntington- Surf City, huge and commercial. Just visit there, dont stay.

#5 Newport Beach, Not really a beach, mostly a high end shopping experience, not for kids, but there is a "fun zone" on Balboa island that kids like. Bring lots of money if you go here.

Basically, you can reach all the Beach Towns cruising up and down PCH (Pacific Coast Hwy)

Have a great time.

PS- Disneyland- Anything you want to know? We go there once a month at least

If you chose the Huntington beach area,the Hyatt huntington beach and the hyatt Newport beach are in the same zone on priceline.For the past few weeks people have been getting either of those depending on the dates,with the Newport location going for $50 and the Huntington location getting accepted for $70.If you go this route post back and we will help if you request.You know with priceline and hotwire that theres the chance you could get a room that only has one bed right?Good luck

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]