Hotwire Hotel: 3* Oakland - Eastbay (Berkeley - Emeryville) Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Berkeley

danielpwagner
By danielpwagner,
in

My first time with Hot.Wire, and this time I'm definitely not pleased.

This hotel - Holiday Inn Express - is listed everywhere (Expe.dia, Tripadvisor) as a 2,5 stars hotel, but Hot.wire sold it as a 3 star hotel!

The other 3 star properties from your list are much nicer then this one. Better location, much better rooms, better amenities... Plus, the hotel e-mail doesn't even work!

Can they do this? I've already posted a complaint and would like a refund. I would be glad with any 3 stars hotel, but I didn't get one.

Sincerely,

Daniel

Before I forget, this are the amenities found on Hotwire's site:

- Free Parking;

- Free Breakfast;

- Free Internet;

- Fitness Center;

- Business Center;

- Self Service Laundry;

- Internet Access;

- Accessible for the blind;

- Accessible for the deaf;

- Accessible path of travel;

- In-room accessibility;

- Accessible bathroom;

- Handicapped parking;

- Roll-in shower;

Daniel

Thank you for sharing your result with the board.

Also thanx for the addition for this new property to the BetterBidding Hotwire Hotel List

is listed everywhere (Expedia, Tripadvisor) as a 2,5 stars hotel, but Hotwire sold it as a 3 star hotel!

You better wait and see what HOTWIRE answer you. They are pretty good to handle things like this. I took a quick look and all the major booking agencies rates this 2.5* so I'm sure HOTWIRE will look at this.

Keep us updated in this matter.

Yellowdog.

Please use the board's PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your purchases and searches

They replied, and I really didn't like their answer:

"We stand behind our star ratings and promise that no matter what star rating you book, you can expect a clean and private room in working order when you check in to a hotel booked with Hotwire."

Basically they are saying that whatever any other site says doesn't matter, and only their rating matters.

In my point of view, since Hotwire is an opaque provider, we only know two things going in: the star rating and the region of the hotel. That's their only engagement to us.

If they choose not to honor that, then I just don't thrust them anymore. They are saying they can do whatever they want and I have nothing to do as long as I receive a clean and private room.

Sincerely,

Daniel

When HOTWIRE's rating differs from most of the other booking agencies they are usually pretty good about making an adjustment, but i took a closer look at this property and i suspect that the reason you're not seeing any action on their part is because 2 out of 3 of the major booking agencies rate this property 3 stars:

Expedia - 3 star

Orbitz - 3 star

Travelocity - 2.5 star

Usually if the three above average to a lower rating than HOTWIRE's they will often (doesn't mean they will every time) make an adjustment... but in your instance the average is closer to 3 star than to 2.5 star, so using this criteria i understand their position of sticking with the 3* rating (i'm not familiar with this hotel so i'm not saying that this hotel is more 3* rated than 2.5*, only that i understand why HOTWIRE is taking their position)

I'll add that this hotel does have a very good 4.0/5.0 TA rating, at Travelocity a 100% recommendation from their previous guests, and at Expedia a 96% recommendation from their previous guests. I suspect that the hotel will work out fine, but since this is an extended stay i would give it a try and if you do encounter any issues try to resolve with the hotel's management, if unsuccessful, try reaching out to HOTWIRE once again (while at the hotel... they are usually more willing to make an adjustment if you've at least arrived at the hotel and given it a look). Also, tangible issues (such as pointing out dirt, mold, etc. should you encounter anything like that) give you more of a ground to stand on vs. things that are more opinion oriented (ie- the room is dated or not liking the decor)

Good luck and hope the stay goes better than you anticipate.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

NOTE that you shouldn't use Tripadvisor as a rating source when referencing the star rating (i used Travelocity in my example above).

While the star rating may have recently changed, even if you sent them a screenshot, HOTWIRE is likely going by what they're seeing then they investigated your claim.

Hopefully you feel a little better about the purchase now that Expedia has upgraded, but either way, i'd take my suggestion above of 'giving it a shot' and if any issues do arise try to first deal with the hotel directly to resolve and then get HOTWIRE involved if no resolution is found. It wouldn't be the first time a user was upset with the outcome based upon what they read on the internet and then actually had a pleasant and enjoyable experience once at the hotel; and afterall, this hotel actually does get decent reviews.

Good luck!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]