Hotwire Hotel: Help with 3.5-4.5* MMA

bamadoc
By bamadoc,
in

I am looking for a hotel in the "tourist area", since this is my first visit to Chicago and will not have a car. I arrive 4/7 and depart 4/11. In the NMA-Streeterville area, Hotwire is listing a 4.5* for $99 @ 80% TA rec, a 4* for $112 @ 90% rec, and a 3.5* for $103 @ 95% rec. I usually go the Priceline route, but if these are identifiable and in recommended areas, I'd be willing to pay a bit more. Also, if you would recommend a different area for a tourist weekend, I'd like to hear that too. I also noticed recommendations for Expedia deals, so those would be welcomed also.

Thanks for your help. You guys do a great job.

In terms of the downtown areas:

1. The Loop. This is the area South of the river. While there is shopping in this area (along State St., mainly) and some attractions (the Art Institute, Sears Tower, Millennium Park), this is primarily a business district and when offices let out later in the evening, the area (especially the West part) can be very quiet at night. Closer to the museum campus, which is just a bit South of the city, along the lake.

2. Mag Mile/Streeterville (this Hotwire zone also covers the River North neighborhood, which is the neighborhood just North of the River.) This is essentially the South half of the Michigan Ave. shopping area. River North, which is North of the River and just West of Michigan Ave. shopping, has great restaurants and nightlife.

3. North Michigan Ave-Gold Coast-Water Tower. This HOTWIRE zone is the North half of the NMA area and extends a few minutes walk North to the Gold Coast neighborhood. Oddly enough, Water Tower is actually in this zone, so it could be more easily just be called NMA-Gold Coast.

On PRICELINE, zones #2 and 3 above are one area - the NMA-River North area.

In terms of alternate areas, the Lincoln Park neighborhood - which starts North of the Gold Coast neighborhood - is popular, but really contains VERY few hotels of note, likely because it's so easy to get there from downtown, people probably choose largely to stay downtown instead. Some of the suburbs are also very nice, but without a car, it's difficult to get around.

Once you provide amenities for the HOTWIRE listings noted above, I'd be happy to search for alternate recommendations, although these dates do appear busy - Expedia prices are high enough that I'm guessing the HOTWIRE listings will likely be the preferred route.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks.

4* NMA- Water Tower $92

Fitness, Rest, Bus Cen, HS internet, 90% rec

4* MMA- Streeterville $98

Boutique, No Smoking, Fitness, Rest, Bus Cen, Hs internet, 90% rec

3 1/2* MMA- Streeterville $114

Bed Choice, Breakfast, Fitness, Bus Cen, Laundry, HS internet, 95% rec

4 1/2* MMA- Streeterville $119, appears to be Intercontinental from recent post

Below is my best guess for each:

4* NMA - matches the Allerton, The Crowne Plaza Avenue hotel, Drake, Millennium Knickerbocker, and Westin... but the TA info shown by HOTWIRE suggests the Crowne Plaza Avenue, Drake, or Millenium Knickerbocker to be the most likely

4* Streeterville - Hotel Sax or Hotel Felxi

3.5* Streeterville - Hotel Felix

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know what you decide an dhow it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm traveling with my wife and adult daughter, so we need 2 beds (appears to be a rare commodity in Chicago). The "bed selection" option 3.5* was gone by the time I got back to it. After reading some reviews saying they were unable to get switched to double beds after booking Hotwire or Priceline, I decided I'd better book where I could specify.

I booked The James through Booking.com for $160/night including tax. Not a steal but no one will have to sleep on the floor. I can cancel it, so I'm still looking at Hotwire and Priceline for a last minute deal.

Thanks again.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]