DC Grand Hyatt Capitol Hill / Convention Center

MJRBIM
By MJRBIM,
in

http://grandwashington.hyatt.com/property/index.jhtml

----------

Really well-appointed hotel - 5 minute walk to the new Convention Center.

Impressive lobby in a huge atrium with fountains, walkways and a number of bar and restaurant options.

Check-in was smooth, no mention of PL...and had no problem getting my check-out extended to 1 PM.

I'm not a Hyatt Member, but I was given an 11th floor "Gold Passport" level room (approx. 500 sq.ft) with 2 Queen Beds, large bathroom, minbar and work area. It was a very nice room, but not as well appointed as the Hyatt in Calgary.

Wireless High-Speed internet was $10 per day - and is charged directly to your credit card by the wireless company not to the room.

The room overlooked the street and there was a lot of traffic noise even on the 11th floor - I would request an "inside" room that overlooks the Atrium instead on my next stay.

On the subject of the Atrium, it's huge and may be a problem for anyone with vertigo as some of the elevators have windows out onto the atrium.

As mentioned by others, the pool, sauna and fitness facilities are an added cost, so I didn't check them out.

Valet parking (with in and out priviliges) was $26 per day.

Had two-meals from room service and found them both to be very good - but you are going to pay 4* prices for your cheese burger plus built-in gratuity and delivery fee.

All in all, a solid 4* hotel in a great location for Conventions or Business in downtown DC...and I got my total stay - room, valet parking, wirless internet, and two room service meals for about $100 less than the best room-only rate on the Hyatt site.

I would be happy stay at this property again if it came up on PL.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Stayed there June 18 - 21, Priceline rate was $90

Had no trouble finding the hotel and getting on site parking ($20) as we checked in on Saturday.

No problem with check in, received a 7th floor room with two double beds and non smoking as requested

I asked about upgrades, was told there wasn't any available, but the room we got was great with a nice view of the atrium. Room was pretty standard, nice bathroom and had a mini bar (didn't use) and the beds were decent. Used the wireless internet access at $9.95 a day for two days and once at an hourly rate of $3.95 - Was not offered the "business plan" at checkin, but we weren't going to use the pool and the fitness rooms anyway so this was not a problem. Did not eat at any of the hotels' restaurants while there.

Location was terrrific as we could access the Metro from the building and we could walk to several of the attractions we wanted to see (the Spy Museum being one of those) Hotel staff was friendly and requests (such as fresh towels each day) was not a problem. I would stay here again just because of the great location, but would try to get the Omni Shoreham first, because I like their rooms better. The Grand Hyatt would be my second choice though. Very nice hotel, loved the atrium, especially the floating piano.

• 1 month later...

Stayed here Aug 11-17, 2005 (PL=$80/night). Checked in early (10am), assigned a 2 double-bed room on 5th floor facing atrium.

Positives

- location, walkable to many tourist attractions, restaurants, stores

- Metro Center station located in basement of hotel (no need to exit onto street level)

- excellent service (staff friendly & hard-working)

- clean, spacious, all rooms are smoke free, large fluffy towels, 4 down pillows/bed, great shower pressure w/ pulse feature, good air conditioner for hot & humid DC summer

- Zephyr deli (lobby) reasonable prices for quick breakfast or lunch

- quick & efficient elevators (no waiting, no crowds)

Negatives

- construction in surrounding neighborhood, dusty, blocked sidewalks

- soft beds (can feel the springs), no down blankets

- avoid atrium room (the noise from the piano & loud guests echos up through lobby ceiling) This was a bit irritating, but we were so tired that we fell asleep quickly.

No need for a car. Easily took the Washington Flyer ($14 round trip) from Dulles to W. Falls Church metro station and rode the Orange line directly to Metro Center station (hotel basement). If staying 1 week, recommend buying 7 day Metro pass ($22.00) which allows you to ride as much as you want (good for exploring). The base Metro price to most tourist attractions is $1.35 (one way). Taking the Metro is quick, easy, and saves your feet from all the walking. Still bring a good pair of walking shoes.

The Grand Hyatt is an excellent hotel and I would love to stay here again.

• 7 months later...

We stayed in the DC Grand Hyatt from 4/13-4/16. Our experience was mixed and, all in all, it was not a 4* experience. I'm glad we only spent $84. The lobby is spectacular. Our general impression was that a lot of care and money is spent on the lobby, at the expense of service and maintenance of non-lobby space.

Staff. The person at the registration desk was quite pleasant and made no mention of PL. We were given a 2 bed, non-smoking room, as requested. The bellhop insisted on taking our stuff to our room. Our stuff sat in the lobby unattended for 45 minutes, at which point, we went & got it ourselves. The bellhop said that we hadn't told him we wanted it brought to our room. One concierge was nice, a second was rude. The plumber who came to fix the toilet (flushing randomly & then constantly) was fantastic. He came immediately, surveyed the scene, got the correct part, and fixed the toilet. Total elapsed time: 5 minutes.

Room. Our 8th floor room had a wonderful atrium view. The bathroom was very clean, but the surfaces of the desk, minibar, and dresser had splotches of sticky gunk (which came off with water & elbow grease). The furniture showed its age. The bed, down comforter & pillows were very comfortable, but the sheets had holes. The individual climate control worked well.

Pool. Definitely the low point of the trip. The pool is tiny, crowded to the point of being unsafe (45-60 kids each time), ridiculously loud, and costs an additional $7/day. The kids didn't seem to mind, but the parents suffered. If an adult without children had made the mistake of paying the $7, s/he would have run away.

• 4 months later...

We stayed at Grand Hyatt Capital Hill for $60 a night for two nights on Labor Day weekend. Our friends requested a room with two full size beds but their request was denied as there was a convention in the hotel and the hotel was full. Their request for baby crib was honored.

The furniture in our room seemed new and clean. The bathroom had a granite sink top, and marble floors and tiles around the tub. However, the towels were a little worn and not very soft. Our bed was nice and comfortable. The hotel website stated that all the rooms were non-smoking, so being a Priceline customer did not put us in disadvantage.

First night we parked at the hotel parking garage for $20, the next day we parked across the hotel. Self-parking has no in-and-out privileges. We walked to the Smithsonian Museums. On our way to the Mall we stopped at the Ford Theatre and at the boarding house where President Abraham Lincoln passed away. First night we walked to a restaurant called "Zaytinya," and the other night to "Tony's" at Chinatown.

Overall, we were very happy with our stay and would love to stay again.

• 2 years later...

I think this hotel rocks! It is so very well located, it has a wonderful sports bar, cigar lounge, cafe, and a fully equipped gym. It is next to a great little shopping area, a few blocks from Chinatown and I have never had a room to complain about. The service has always been over the top.

Lilac

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]