Priceline Hotel: Resort Hilton Head Crowne Plaza

mk1
By mk1,
in

I just bid and won a room at a Hilton Head resort in about a week and a half. I will post that bid soon (Priceline).

It wasn't until after I bid that I realized I was going to be paying a significant daily "resort fee" (ripoff! but I'll do it).

In part because of this additional fee, though, it's going to be really important to me to get a room that I'm happy with. When we check in, they know we're Priceline customers, right? Is it any kind of big Priceline policy "no no" to ask WHERE your room is, and to try to get one with a decent view? To change rooms after seeing your room? Are we "allowed" to do that, as Priceline customers (to, at least TRY) ?

Thanks

MK

From Our Rules and Policies:

While we welcome both positive and negative experiences, please keep in mind that the spirit of this message board is helping users.

If you have a complaint, problem, or question with a recent or upcoming Priceline/Hotwire stay, we will be happy to do what we can to help, but please be considerate of the board's primary goal of helping others and first post the details of your 'win.'

It is important for everyone to know when problems and customer service issues arise, but the majority of the users come here to see winning bid information... so please oblige them with this information before asking for them for help.

Thanks! :)

So in the spirit of the board, please post your win, and we'll then comment on your post above :)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your future travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well, I thought I'd done well getting $70 at the Hilton Head Crowne Plaza Resort -- until I just saw that someone else got $60!! I also messed up and did not notice, first, at least $12+ in daily resort fees, so it's actually going to be $82/day+. But I need a vacation, so that's okay. Did this on Priceline...

Congratulations on your success! :)

Looks like a very nice deal for this property. Resort fees are not uncommon in this area, and that fee is also paid by those who pay full price. Rates do vary by dates, so someone else may have gotten a lower rate for a slower set of dates.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

PRICELINE and HOTWIRE reservations are not eligible for upgrades, given the discounted rate.

You can ask at check-in (or write/call the hotel in advance) regarding room type, but they could say no. If you call/write and they say no, I'd try once more at check-in.

If you call or ask at check-in, I'd politely (it may depend on who you talk to) ask regarding availability of a view room. The hotel may charge an upgrade fee (usually the difference between a regular room and the upgraded room) if you want an upgrade.

If there is something wrong with the room you do get, you can certainly ask to switch.

Overall, it certainly doesn't hurt to ask nicely regarding an upgrade, but the result may be no and will vary by hotel and by dates (and other factors.)

• 5 months later...

I hope it's acceptable to do it, this way... I forgot to update this with my winning bid info after the trip, so here it is:

$70 ... 3/31/10-4/6/10

Plus $12.95 night "resort fee" (ridiculous, in my opinion, to charge people coming to a hotel with a pool and a beach a fee for using the pool and the beach, but... whatever!

Great hotel, I thought. We got a nice room, but there's lots of potential for NOT nice rooms here, I think -- I wouldn't want one overlooking the pool because of the obnoxious music piped into the pool area at all hours. I wouldn't want one overlooking a rooftop. We got lucky and got a balcony overlooking the beach access road -- so, people-watching, trees, birds. Nice.

Rooms ugly for my taste, but kind of luxurious, too.

Great surroundings -- beach, bike trails, restaurants, good grocery nearby. Going back!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]