Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (ESB) W New York The Tuscany

BeeNees
By BeeNees,
in

Hello,

I've never used Priceline before, so I am looking for some pointers. I (along with 2 friends) will be staying in NYC from April 2 - April 5, 2010. I would like to stay in a 4* hotel and my max budget is $220. Looking at the "Calendar of Wins" this seems reasonable.

I have two (2) main concerns:

1) I'm traveling with 2 friends. I saw that Priceline stipulates a max. 2 person occupancy - is this rule enforced? A double bed with a cot would be fine. Hell if a king bed is large enough, sharing would be okay too. I just don't want to be kicked out of the hotel.

2) Bed bugs. I have traveled to NYC many times before and on one occasion I had the awful experience of bed bugs. Which resulted in having to get my condo fumigated shortly after returning home. I would mention the hotel by name but it has closed down since. From my research (I have gone through most of the 4* hotels you guys have listed) I haven't discovered any bed bug complaints. Has anyone of heard anything regarding bed bugs and 4* hotels? Any advice?

Thank you for any incite you may be willing to share. I will be waiting for feedback regarding occupancy numbers before placing a bid.

Also, does placing a higher bid make it more likely to get a better hotel?

Cheers

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

* A higher bid does not result in a better hotel. More often than not, this will only result in overpaying for the hotel you would have gotten for less.

* PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy/1 bed. While you can request 2 beds from the hotel, they can say no. You can request 2 beds via the hotel, but they can say no. Additionally, with how small most NYC rooms are (130-160 sq ft in some cases, even in higher-end hotels), using PRICELINE for 2 beds in NYC is quite a risk - rooms with 2 beds are limited and/or command a premium.

* There have been bed bug reports in quite a few hotels in NYC and other cities, but I don't believe I've seen any NYC hotel reviews of higher-end properties in NYC mentioning bed bugs recently.

Are you only interested in bidding for ESB/Soho?

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

The PRICELINE hotel model is for guests which are flexible in their plans... this not only includes which hotel they may receive, but also not knowing the room configuration (ie- number or type of beds) in the room. Leaving the room assignment up to the hotel gives the hotel flexibility and makes it easier to manage their room inventory.

Using an example: Let's assume a hotel assigns you a room with two beds and only has one other room available which is for double occupancy, and a traditional customer calls and wants a room for triple occupancy, they would have to turn them away. Having your room 'unassigned until check-in and only guaranteed for double occupancy' allows them to 'float' your room, allowing them to accommodate the call-in (or walk-in) customer in the example above, while still providing you what was promised: a room which will accommodate double occupancy.

Most hotels will usually try to accommodate your needs, but NYC is a bit of a different animal, in that space is at a premium, many rooms are notoriously small (not able to accommodate a rollaway), and there are a very high percentage of rooms with only one bed in them. As a result, the risk of using PRICELINE in NYC for more than double occupancy is not recommended. If fire code stipulates the room can only accommodate two people, and you show up with three, i supposed it could be an issue if you get a front desk clerk that cares (or if the hotel was recently fined for violations and becoming more strict), but being denied a room would be a rare event (although there are stories of it happening). Ultimately it's a risk you and your friends will need to decide if it is worth taking.

If you decide not to risk it you can use HOTWIRE which allows you to search for up to quad occupancy, although more than double occupancy often tends to increase the price a bit in NYC (ie- for all the reasons stipulated above), OR, still a risk but less so, use HOTWIRE for only double occupancy but choose a hotel with the "Bed Option" icon and choose a room configuration which will accommodate the three of you.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I got a 4* room in the Priceline's Empire State Building area for about the sames days you are going - I had to go to $190 until it was accepted. I was hoping to get it for the $150 range but this must be a popular time. I travel with my wife and teenagers. I always call the hotel after I win to see if I get 4 people in the room. Only once I was told that it would not work and I wound up buying a second room. I contacted the Hotel this time in NYC and they are even going to get me a upgrade.

PRICELINE is about 20% cheaper that HOTWIRE. Sometimes I base the bid with expecting to get the same hotel at 75-80% of the cost. This board is great on telling you what is available.

How would you suggest I proceed with PRICELINE? Although I am willing to go with HOTWIRE instead. Thanks again for your help. I am really finding it difficult to know what to do.

It depends upon how much risk you're willing to take. Personally, i would go with HOTWIRE since this is NYC and you're looking for more than double occupancy. As you can see from pkmiller94's post above, s/he took a gamble and apparently it will work out ok for him/her... but s/he was lucky to be given an upgrade, as many standard rooms in NYC will not accommodate more than double occupancy. I don't think you can expect to be given a room upgrade.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The prices on Hotwire for a 4* hotel with more than double occupancy are just too high and very limited. I'm going to risk it on priceline. I'm not expecting a upgrade, simply hoping for a cot. So going with Priceline, other than using your link of course, what's my next step? Reminder - I want to stay in ESB (3.5* or up) or Soho (4* or up).

Thanks again for all the help. You guys are wonderful!!!!

One more question just to confirm...

You mention you want to stay in Soho, but note that the Soho zone on PRICELINE also includes areas outside of Soho, most notably the Downtown-Financial area.... you're ok with the entire zone, and not just Soho, correct?

Please confirm and we'll suggest a bidding strategy for you to follow.

Thanks in advance for using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding. :)

Sorry, one more question... since you prefer the ESB zone did you want to try for a 3.5* or better in this zone first before trying for a 4* hotel in the Downtown zone; or is price the ultimate driving force and the cheaper of the two is your goal for this stay?

Let us know and we'll advise accordingly.

At the 3.5* level you have THREE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 3.5* ESB...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* ESB and re-bid zone2...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* ESB and re-bid zone3...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* ESB and re-bid zone2 and re-bid zone3...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $170

Start with the above. If rejected we'll revise for a second round of bidding and then also include the Downtown zone. Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received a hotel in your preferred zone and that you're happy with the results. You can try contacting the hotel to request a room with two beds.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]