Priceline Hotel: Need help with Priceline

mfinn
By mfinn,
in

Hello,

I will be flying into the FLL airport on May 21st (arriving around 5:30 p.m. eastern) along with 6 others in my family for a May 22-May29 cruise out of the Port of Miami. We are renting a large van from the airport and will be returning it the next day to the car rental agency at the port since this seems to be more economical than taking taxis for the seven of us.

We need help finding a nice hotel in a safe area with family type restaurants within close distance (5 miles) ($6-15 per entree for dinner). We are planning to book 2 or 3 rooms depending on the cost for one night (a Saturday). We would prefer a hotel that does not charge for parking, but will pay it based on the location and cost of the rooms. We would also like to be close to a beach or the port so we can see the cruise ships.

We would like to stay in the $40-$70 price range (after taxes and charges).

Is it too early to start bidding on Priceline? If so, when should we start? We will be in Miami from 5/21-5/29 (flying out on the 29th).

What would be a good bidding strategy?

Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks!!

We need help finding a nice hotel in a safe area with family type restaurants within close distance (5 miles) ($6-15 per entree for dinner). We are planning to book 2 or 3 rooms depending on the cost for one night (a Saturday). We would prefer a hotel that does not charge for parking, but will pay it based on the location and cost of the rooms. We would also like to be close to a beach or the port so we can see the cruise ships.

A reminder that you can't pick the specific hotel with Priceline. However, the recommended zone for cruise ship passengers is Downtown. I think it will satisfy all of your needs except free parking (but you should doublecheck priceline's map to be certain): Bayside is nearby and has plenty of choices for dinner, all the hotels in the zone are fairly close to the port and you can see the ships from many of the rooms; however, almost all the hotels i know of charge for parking.

If you can accept Priceline's terms and a hotel anywhere in the zone, this is how i would proceed. You have two re-bid zones when bidding 3* in this area, if you're not familiar with re-bidding please read PRICELINE REBIDDING EXPLAINED and ask any questions that you may have and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board.

Select 3* Miami Downtown (and the numeber or rooms you need)

Bid $41, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $46, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $51.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If your plans are firm i would start bidding now... nothing to lose, and if you keep your bids at recommended above, i don't think you risk overbid at all.

I have given my thoughts on insurance elsewhere, but the short version:

It's a game of probabilities. In this example you're spending $5 to insure $50 (as an example based upon the suggested bid amounts). For my stays, the chances of me not making it are less than 10%, so i do not take the insurance and figure if i miss a stay here or there i'll still come out ahead of the game.

This is different than things like cruise insurance for a larger party since a loss for a large purchase would be more 'catastrophic' financially than a $50 hotel stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 year later...

We received a free offer from our travel agent for two free nights at the Westin hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. It was a very nice hotel in the business district. I would not recommend this hotel for vacation travelers since it is pretty far from the beach or touristy activities. The "Heavenly Bed" was very comfortable, though.

Thanks again for your help!

I was originally told that Alamo had a return facility at Port Everglades, but I was misinformed.

We rented a vehicle from Alamo. The car rental facility is at the airport and there is a free shuttle to/from the airport/car rental facility. We returned the car and caught the shuttle to the airport on our cruise in Feb. It worked out really well.

• 2 months later...

We received a free offer from our travel agent for two free nights at the Westin hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. It was a very nice hotel in the business district. I would not recommend this hotel for vacation travelers since it is pretty far from the beach or touristy activities. The "Heavenly Bed" was very comfortable, though.

Thanks again for your help!

We did not go through Priceline or Hotwire to obtain our accommodations.

Thanks anyway.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]