Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) Grand Hyatt

vstypicals
By vstypicals,
in

Hello,

I'm trying to get Affinia 50 for 03/19/10 - 03/22/10. I chose 2.5*, MTE.

$65 (yesterday) = FAILED

$80 (today) = FAILED

I've read a couple of threads where people have gotten a room at Affinia 50 for around $65-70 during the weekends. What am I doing wrong? Any tips?

Also, I had to wait 24 hours before I could place another bid. Anyone see a way around this? I didn't see any re-bid zones, and I can't really change the dates.

Thanks,

Jeff

Are you willing to accept a different property than the Affinia?

You could (quite) possibly get a different 2.5* that has not yet been reported to the board, or be upgraded to one of the 3*'s in the zone. The Affinia may also not have PRICELINE inventory for these dates.

Additionally, the Affinia is a rare instance of a property considered by most services to be a 4* being offered by PRICELINE as a 2.5* due to it missing a couple of amenities (restaurant, for example) and the rating could always possibly change (as I can't imagine this property will stay a 2.5*) Finally, rates do vary - your dates may be busier/more expensive than another poster's.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I guess I don't really need the Affinia 50, but I need a highly rated hotel around the same area. I realize that there are 2 other hotels in NYC MTE 2.5* that I might get, but it seems that most people are getting the Affinia 50. I haven't seen anyone get anything else unless I missed them.

Again, the Affinia 50 is really an "outlier" and probably worthy of much more than its current 2.5* rating. Since you write you need a "highly rated hotel" would a different 2.5* property in this zone meet your needs? (also note the comments at the top of the priceline hotel list that the hotel list should not be considered complete as new hotels are added and other hotels are upgraded/downgraded all the time... this is especially true for star levels which are not bid that often, which the 2.5* level in NYC certainly qualifies)

Also, the star rating you select is the minimum that you're willing to accept, which means that your bid for a 2.5* property could be upgraded to a higher rated hotel... would you happy with any 3* or higher hotel in this zone as well?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Based upon the above let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I was only choosing 2.5* MTE only because I wanted Affinia 50, and a couple of people that chose 2.5* MTE got Affinia around the same time I'm looking to book so I thought my chances were high. Anyway, anywhere within the MTE, MTW, CPS, and TSQ zones is good. I'll probably start with 4* and go up to my max bid price of about $130. If no luck, go down to 3.5*.

I was only choosing 2.5* MTE only because I wanted Affinia 50...
I know, thus the 'warnings' above :)

If you want to bid for a 4* in the zones you mention above, you have FIVE re-bid zones available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE, MTW, TSQ and CPS...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm guessing you're likely less than $15 away from a win at the 3.5* level (or possibly even a 4*)... but if you don't want to increase your maximum bid then all you can really do is wait it out and hope for lower priced inventory to be released or lower your star rating. (i'm assuming that SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID isn't an option for a 3 nite stay)

Keep us updated and let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]