Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* NYC (MTS) Sheraton Russell

celedon
By celedon,
in

My niece and I have nailed down dates for NY trip. The trip is longer than originally intended so in the interests of economizing is it possible to split the bid something like this? 3 or 4 days at a 4* MTE, UM-CPS with a maximum bid of $130. Then 2 or 3 days at a 3* Jersey city with a limit of $45.

One key ingredient in this is the cost of taking a cab to LaGuardia from Jersey city which would ideally be the back end of the trip. Also concerned about the cost of taking a cab back from NYC to Jersey city one or two nights. Do you have a rough idea how much that might cost?

I actually like the idea of having a little luxury, if possible, but also having the chance to investigate the what seems a tremendous deal--the Hyatt Regency Jersey city. I noticed that the Doubletree rarely comes up as a won bid there but I suppose it could happen. My niece is 21 and may be on her own-will the Hyatt or Doubletree area be safe?

Thanks

Your idea is definately sound, although at first glance i would think that your target bid amounts are just a bit shy.... lately we've been seeing higher bids needed to get accepted at a 3* in Jersey City and it will probably take a bit more than $45 (but likely less than $60... we'll work out actual figures when we figure out the date split). As well, i think a 4* in NYC is likely to cost you about $10-$30 more than you are anticipating. Of course any strategy we suggest will try lower amounts first, but i think if you're trying to work on a budget it would be prudent to factor slightly higher prices.

A taxi from Jersey City to LGA will likely cost you about $45-$50 plus tip (when it comes time let me know and i'll suggest a local taxi that is reasonably priced and i use them myself... or somebody advertising a special in the local paper). You can cut this cost substantially by taking the PATH to midtown and then taking a taxi from midtown to LGA... this will cost you PATH fare ($1.50/pp) and about $25-$30 (+toll depending upon route) depending upon traffic. (or you can take mass transit the entire way... take a bit longer, but total cost is only $3.50/pp)

A taxi from NYC to Jersey City varies depending upon traffic and/or what part of NYC you get the taxi. It's usually not worth doing this since the PATH is so inexpensive and the taxi fare is 'double the meter' plus the return toll ($6!!)... this means it usually runs about $35 or so as a ballpark... much more than the $1.50 PATH. If the taxis are having a slow nite you can sometimes negotiate a fixed fare, but being from out of town, you probably won't have a good idea of what a 'slow nite' looks like for them, and even then they're not giving away the farm, as maybe you can knock $5 off the rate.

Let us know how you want to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Given you thoughts on pricing, I think 3 nights in each hotel might be best. 3/2-5/2 for the 4* (preferably in MTE and UM-CPS) and 3/5-3/8 for the 3* in Jersey city.

(Should the price of the 4* spiral upward beyond what $160, would it be possible to add another day to the Jersey city stay and reduce the NYC stay? Just curious.)

For now, though, let's go with your suggestion for bidding up to $ 60 for Jersey city and $160 for NYC.

Thanks so much for the taxi information.

One more question before detailing a strategy....

I found the following hotels available for 3/2-3/5:

Beekman Tower 1BR suite for $149/nite. There is only one bed in the bedroom but a pull-out couch in the LR... REVIEWS are very good.

Millenium UN for $159/nite. This is a 4* hotel (via Priceline) in the MTE zone, there is no booking fee so equivalent to a $155 or so priceline bid.... some reviews

What is believed to be the Sheraton Russel is available thru HOTWIRE for $145/nite... reviews

If any of the above appeal to you then you may be able to lower your maximum bid for a 4* in NYC (since all the above are less expensive than a $160 priceline bid... although 2 of the 3 are not 4 star rated hotels (although i'd put them at the high-end of the 3 star range and would have no problem staying at any of them myself)). Let us know what you think.

We won't bid the Jersey City part of the stay until you have a reservation for the NYC part of the stay... this way we can add/subtract a nite and maek adjustments as necessary.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sure i was just trying to make sure you didn't overbid for a 4* if one of the above options appealed to you.

However... you do realize that the Millenium UN is a possibility when bidding the MTE zone? While this hotel is 4* rated, and gets good reviews, it is also a bit far east.... so something like the Sheraton Russel would be slightly lower rated but more centrally located (not sure if star rating or location is more important).

I'm not really sure why you're avoiding the MTW zone (as the location would be considered very good), but if location is of the utmost importance, could you 'risk' getting the Millenium UN?

Let us know and we'll detail a strategy... just want to make sure you are aware/consider all your options and possibilities, and avoid and potential pitfalls.

Well, you know, my reasons for avoiding MTW are scant. My initial worry was avoiding the Huge Hilton but this seems inconsequential now that I see the lay of the land. By all means deal me in with MTW. I don't know anything about Hotwire but what would the Intercontinental Barklay go for -- if this is possible to assess.

HOTWIRE shows you amenities and prices before you make your purchase, but the least expensive 4* that is offered for your dates is $190, so it wasn't even worth checking to see if it was the Inter-Continental or not.

OK, here we go, roll up your sleeves and get ready to do some bidding (as this may take a little while)....

When bidding 4* in NYC you have two re-bid zones available... if you're not sure which ones they are or want to confirm them with the board please feel free to do so.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone1 and...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and re-access Priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and re-bid zone2...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and re-access Priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone1 and...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and re-access Priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and re-bid zone2...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and re-access Priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Select 4* UM/CPS and MTE...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access Priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS and MTW...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access Priceline however you did previously.

Select UM/CPS and MTW and MTE...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone1....

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone2....

Bid $155.

I only went as high as $155 because any higher than that puts you in a position where you could win the Millenium UN when you could have gotten it CHEAPER.

Hope you follow all the above, but as always, feel free to ask any questions.

Oh yeah, all of the above are for 3/2-3/5.

When I keyed in 99999 as a zip for California (I am a Canadian and last year this worked for me) Priceline asks for a valid zip. Should I just pick a California zip and add? By the way, except for the Zip, I put my sister's Canadian address, because they asked for the billing address coresponding with the mastercard.

Also when you say close browser do you mean get out of Netscape or close the whole computer down?

Rebid zones are UES and UWS, right.

Much obliged for all the time you've put in.

You are correct on the re-bid zones.

Close the browser means to close Netscape and then re-launch a new Netscape window (but make sure to close the previous one first to avoid any internal errors that have been reported by some users when working with multiple open windows).... no need to re-boot the computer.

Here's where we are. After bidding the four first groupings without luck, I have decided I'm interested in "what is believed to be the Sheraton' at $145', as you mentioned for 3/2 to 3/5. Do you know, off the top of your head, what Canadian credit cards Hotline takes? Thanks. Then I guess the Jersey City process begins. By the way, last year-- same time-- I won on Bid 1 at $119. Go figure. The plus side of this current experience is that I am learning more.

• 3 weeks later...

We are now a week away from our trip and I'd like to pursue your comments re :taxis and the Jersey City Hyatt. I am not in what you'd call vigorous good health so, while travelling with luggage, I will have to cab it. We will be transferring from NY to Jersey city late Saturday night by cab, a less expensive time of day for cabs, perhaps?

Also, know of cheap eats in the Sheraton Russell area? We are not big eaters.

So this is what you had to say about cabs from/to the Hyatt

" A taxi from Jersey City to LGA will likely cost you about $45-$50 plus tip (when it comes time let me know and i'll suggest a local taxi that is reasonably priced and i use them myself... or somebody advertising a special in the local paper).

A taxi from NYC to Jersey City varies depending upon traffic and/or what part of NYC you get the taxi. It's usually not worth doing this since the PATH is so inexpensive and the taxi fare is 'double the meter' plus the return toll ($6!!)... this means it usually runs about $35 or so as a ballpark... much more than the $1.50 PATH. If the taxis are having a slow nite you can sometimes negotiate a fixed fare, but being from out of town, you probably won't have a good idea of what a 'slow nite' looks like for them, and even then they're not giving away the farm, as maybe you can knock $5 off the rate."

Much obliged for your input.

Celedon

Hard to tell when cabs will be busy or not, but Saturday is usually a nite when people are out and about, so more likely a busier time than not. Cabs go by the meter, which is based upon distance, the only thing that will add to your fare is 'waiting time', so traffic becomes a factor.

Depending upon your health, i would recommend taking a cab to the World Trade Center PATH station. Once on the PATH you can get out at Exchange Place which is litteraly right at the door of the Hyatt Regency. (if you size up the right young man you may be able to ask for help with your bag... i've volunteered t help those that appear to be in need numerous times). THIS PICTURE shows you just how close they are (the building on the right with the P on it is the PATH Station)

Oh yeah, some good/cheap eats in the area....

Jackson Hole Wyoming ... Third Ave and 35th St.. best burgers in the city

Blockhead Burritos ... Third Ave and 34th St ... nothing to rave about, but good and solid food... has an early bird dinner special from 4pm-7pm (i think)... magarita or corona, burrito, dessert (flan or rice pudding) for $13.50 which is a great deal.

Patsy's Pizza... third ave and 34th(?) St ... decent version of fresh mozzarella, brick oven pizza

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]