Priceline Hotel: 3* NYC (MSG-Convention) The Ramada New Yorker

latentpower
By latentpower,
in

I need a hotel for March 30th of 2010 to either the 4th or 5th of April. There will most likely be three of us (one can sleep on the floor) so hotels that are extraordinarily small or have a strict 2 person policy are not ideal.

On this trip I am mostly concerned about price. If the place seems safe, I can put up with 2* no problem. I wouldn't pay the normal premium for a 4* compared to a 3*. I will be showing a few people around NYC, so anywhere centrally located works well (really anything in Manhattan as long as its not right along the water or deep in the UWS/UES. I imagine the cheapest way to go will be Priceline.

My ?'s are, which areas/stars should I target and where would I be wasting my time? What type of price is realistic for these days? And would it be better to "wait" and bid closer to the date. I will be using your PRICELINE links. Thanks in advance.

There will most likely be three of us (one can sleep on the floor) so hotels that are extraordinarily small or have a strict 2 person policy are not ideal.
The problem is that with PRICELINE you can't choose a 'larger room' or one that is 'not extraordinary small', and you may end up with a very small room. Also, while not a steadfast rule, I think that at the lower rated hotels in NYC you're more likely to get a smaller room.
And would it be better to "wait" and bid closer to the date.
I would wait, but not from a price perspective... but to confirm if you'll be double or triple occupancy, as i think you have different options/limitations based upon how many guests you'll be.

When do you think you'll be firm on the occupancy?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

...my goal is those dates...
Have you chosen a check-out date or are your plans flexible in that regard?
...and the cheapest possible clean/acceptable place
How do you convert this to a star rating? My advice in NYC is to stay with the 3* above, as while there may be some lower rated hotels which are acceptable, there may be others which are not, and with PRICELINE you don't get to choose which type you will get.
Any ideas on strategy?
We wouldn't want to suggest a strategy which went higher than you will willing to pay... what is your maximum bid for this stay?

Let us know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The check in date is the 30th of March and the check out date is the 4th of April. I am willing to break this up into a maximum of 2 separate stays if necessary. I would like to stay 3* and above if at all possible. If you feel that there are some areas in which a 2 or 2.5* is safe, I would do that also. My budget is up to $135 per night including taxes, though if necessary I could break this (the trip isn't optional and can't be rescheduled). I can book a nice hotel in the financial district through my employer for about $150-$160 a night all in, so that is my absolute ceiling. My goal is to spend the last amount possible. I saw that some people were able to snag the Affinnia 50 or the New Yorker at very good prices. I think that ideally I should probably be throwing out some low ball offers now, hoping that something gets offered.

I'm assuming MTE, MTW, TS, CPS, MSG, ESB, Chelsea, and Downtown are all acceptable? (if not STOP and please clarifying which zones you are willing to accept)

Select 3* MTE, MTW, TS, and ESB...

Bid $85, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MSG, ESB, Chelsea, Downtown...

Bid $85, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MSG, MTW, TS, and ESB...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTE, ESB, Chelsea, Downtown...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTE, ESB, TS, and ESB...

Bid $95, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MSG, MTW, Chelsea, Downtown...

Bid $95, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTE, MTW, Chelsea, and ESB...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MSG, ESB, TS, Downtown...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTE, MTW, TS, and Downtown...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MSG, ESB, Chelsea, ESB...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTE, MTW, TS, and ESB, MSG, ESB...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTE, MTW, TS, and ESB, Chelsea, Downtown...

Bid $110

I suspect the above will land you a hotel, but if not, there is a 3.5* hotel on HOTWIRE for $112/nite which we'll then have a closer look at.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations on your (partial) success!

This is a very good rate for this property, sorry to see you weren't able to obtain it for the entire stay.

I wouldn't do it right away since you were rejected for additional days during your bidding process, but perhaps on 3/30 or 3/31 try using the "add a nite" feature (assuming it was offered) to see if you can extend your stay.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

I wasn't ready to keep up with this time consuming process.
Saving money can be tough work! :)

Seriously, sometimes the wins come easy... sometimes they take a bit of effort. You can still always try bidding for the other nites of your stay if you prefer that to sleeping at your friends's place.

Hoboken/Jersey City can also be an option, as i think you can get a nice hotel there for $110 or under... commuting into Manhattan via the PATH train (~15 minute commute) If you're interested in this option, or help trying for NYC, please start a NEW TOPIC.

Enjoy your upcoming stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]