Priceline Hotel: First timer looking for advice

storm82
By storm82,
in

Hello. I've never used Priceline before, but am interested in trying it out for an upcoming trip to New Orleans. Looking at the maps, I think I am most interested in staying Downtown primarily, with the French Quarter/Riverwalk as my second choice. My biggest concern is safety. Are the locations of these hotels safe enough to walk around? I was thinking of 3* hotels or better, and was looking at paying approximately $50-$75. I looked at the recent win posts, but does this seem reasonable? I need the night of April 17, and April 22-24. I realize the second set of dates might be more expensive due to the Jazz Festival. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please post only one stay per thread as it makes each, and the advice provided for each, easier to follow. We'll use this thread for your first stay of 4/17, feel free to start a NEW TOPIC for your 4/22-4/24 stay.

New Orleans is a "city" and therefore you should use the same caution that you would in any other city. Whether you consider it 'safe' or not probably depends on where you're from... if you're used to a very rural, clean, environment then you might not feel as safe as somebody who is in a city atmosphere every day.

I generally feel safer when there are lots of people around vs. a desolate area, so if safety was a concern i would probably lean more towards staying in the French Quarter than Downtown, just as the FQ will likely be more populated during more hours of the day. With this noted, i'm accustomed to a city atmosphere and personally would have no problem staying in either zone... so it really has to do with your own comfort level.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly. (although a quick look at rates for your dates, a 3* or better at $75 or under may be a bit of a stretch for the French Quater, and a higher chance of success within this budget in the Downtown zone)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I didn't even think about making two posts for the separate dates. I'll do so shortly.

I definitely don't live in a major city, but I do feel like I'm well enough traveled that I can handle myself in a city. I basically just don't want to end up in a rough part of town. I don't think the Downtown zone is, but Google only got me so far. My preference to Downtown over FQ was lower cost, and less noise (although I realize it will probably still be loud, but likely not as much as in the FQ).

If the $50-$75 isn't a reasonable budget, that's certainly fine too. It's not preferable, but we could probably go up to $100 if need be.

In my option (been to New Orleans once a few years ago) i don't think the downtown zone will put you in a 'rough part of town', but my caution was more in the regard that some of the side streets (for example walking to/from Canal and Poydras) can be a bit quiet, especially at nite.

I do think you have a decent chance at a 3* in the Downtown zone, but if your choice was based upon price, why not include both zones in your bidding and let PRICELINE put you into the one which accepts the lowest bid? (of course if noise is a primary concern than you can try the Downtown zone first up to your limit before trying in the Quarter)

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Neighborhood-wise, I think Downtown is reasonably safe, until you get too close to the Superdome area. The only hotel on the list here that might worry me is the Holiday Inn Downtown-Superdome, which is 2.5 stars according to the list. So 3* should be okay.

The FQ hotels on Bourbon St can be loud, but most of the rest of the FQ shouldn't be too bad, noise-wise. The Convention Center area is also pretty quiet.

As far as safety in general, just trust your gut. What is safe during the day may be less so at night, especially if you are alone, and more so if you've been drinking. Cabs are plentiful, and from anywhere in the downtown area or French Quarter back to your hotel should be $10 or less. If you're unsure, that may be money well spent.

At the 3* level you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 3* Downtown...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $65, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Downtown and re-bid zone2...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $75, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* French Quarter...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $65, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* French Quarter and re-bid zone2...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $75

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]