Hotwire Hotel: Help ID 4.5 Star in Puerto Rico

mykel67
By mykel67,
in

March 20 one night: $299 (Rio Grande/Humacao)

4.5 Star: Resort, Beach Nearby, Fitness Centre, Pool, Restaurant, Business Centre, High Speed Internet, Golf Nearby.

This site identifies it as the Paradisus, but it no longer exists. Apparently it's a Melia now? But there is a Melia also listed as just a 4 star. Help!

Yes, it's for a post-cruise stay. I'm having a lot of difficulty deciding on a hotel, as there are so many negative reviews on Tripadvisor for every 4 star hotel in San Juan. The only one that escapes significant criticism is El Convento, but it does not have a beach.

We want something very nice to cap off our vacation, but even The Ritz Carlton's getting savaged. Don't know what the problem is with PR hotels...

I've posted this before regarings San Juan/Puerto Rico hotels...

It's an expensive hotel market, and when guests pay more, they expect more. However, although Puerto Rico is 'part' of the United States, they are still very much an island culture. Whereas many Americans (and other guests?) want instant gratification and everything done 'yesterday', the people (and thus many of the workers) of San Juan are on "island time" with little need or hurry in many of their daily tasks/services. This isn't right or wrong, it's just a different culture and way of life (and some could say a better way of life). So when guest pay a lot of money for their hotel rooms, they expect top notch service (just like 'back home in the States'), but due to cultural differences, the level of service often falls short of expectations based upon the price paid... and thus the many negative reviews you see for many San Juan/Puerto Rico hotels.

I wouldn't try to spend a lot of money in hopes of getting an 'end all be all' experience, as imo it's a cultural thing, and you may not be able to avoid it no matter where you stay. Set your expectations appropriately and take a Resort or 4* hotel via PRICELINE... or if you require a beach then opt for HOTWIRE and take one of the better reviewed 4* hotels that at least have some decent reviews (ie- 3.5 or better on Tripadvisor). Then take the other $150+ dollars you were considering spending on the hotel above and treat yourself to a weekend away back 'home'. Also, i'd stick with the San Juan area, as if you don't intend to rent a car the Rio Grande-Hamacao area will cost a LOT in taxi fare, and even if you do choose to rent a car, i wouldn't want to make the longish trip after disembarkation... better to just find an 'acceptable' place nearby to unwind, hopefully enjoy the pool and/or beach, as you come to the realization that vacation is coming to an end.

That's my .02.

Please use the requested PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links for all your searches and purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response. I took your advice and decided to forego a luxury splurge since: (1) There doesn't seem to be a preeminent luxury hotel in SJ; (2) We have an early flight the next morning so would not get to sleep in, enjoy breakfast at the hotel, etc. anwyay.

I tried bidding on Priceline for a 4-star deluxe or resort but was unsuccessful bidding up to $100. So I just ended up using my travel Visa points and booked the Doubletree Hilton for the equivalent of $119. It's not usually the type of hotel I like to stay in, but it's ranked #2 on Tripadvisor and the reviews are glowing, so I'm sure it will be fine for just one night.

Thanks again for your help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]