Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (NMA-River North) Millennium Knickerbocker

big turk
By big turk,
in

Started bidding at $50 for a 4* in the Loop (using the PRICELINE link above, naturally), then added NMA-River North and $1, then added Lincoln Park and $1. Kept repeating the bid each day, a buck higher each time.

This morning I bid $80 for a 4* in the Loop, rejected. Added a buck and NMA-River North, and my bid was accepted by the Millennium Knickerbocker.

I'm quite pleased with this as it is a substantial discount off the Expedia "special deal" price. The location looks great.

(Now to find some parking that won't break the bank!)

We are staying 6/10 -6/14/10 and we just bid $100 and our priceline bid was also accepted by the Mellenium Knickerbocker. You bested our deal in the busy summer season. . Congrats!!! The Knickerbocker hotel is probably more like a 3- 3 1/2 star hotel than a four star and PRICELINE bidders get the smaller rooms but it has gotten very good reviews and is a decent place to stay. However, watch out with the Valet parking as they charge $50 per day. Street parking is tough but after 9PM and before 8 AM the limited street parking is free If you walk three blocks West it is possible to find street parking but around the hotel it is very tough in that area. Even the cheapest lots charge $25-40 for one overnight and there is no re-entry,

The Millennium Knickerbocker was renovated very recently. Reviews on tripadvisor have been mixed prior to the renovation, but have improved noticeably since the renovations were completed. I'm staying at the Knickerbocker over Memorial Day weekend. With the recent renovations, hopefully we will all have a real 4* experience.

Thank you for the feedback. I am really jazzed about the Knickerbocker mainly for the location, and the fact that it appears to be a charming old hotel. I am aware of some of the limitations of older properties (smaller rooms, odd layouts, etc.), but I almost always enjoy staying at them. The TripAdvisor reviews are encouraging too.

As for parking, my experience with driving in big U.S. cities is limited, but my plan is to find someplace to stow the car for three or four days while my wife and I walk around and take transit. In Washington DC I had luck parking the car at Union Station for relatively low prices, so I thought I'd give that a try at Chicago's Union Station. I'm willing to walk several blocks for a deal. I know it's Chicago so a "deal" might end up being $25 a day or something like that, but I'd rather pay that than the $50 valet parking fee at the hotel.

I just read the thread that thereuare linked to - $20 or $25 a day at Navy Pier is a great price in my mind, considering that the Knickerbocker is within easy walking distance from the hotel (I'm used to walking a lot, so it's no problem for me).

Thanks for the info! That's great news! :)

Navy Pier Parking Information

It's a 15-20 minute walk to the hotel from there, you could choose to walk the entire walk (and the weather will certainly be nice) along the lake (there is a path that winds from near Navy Pier all the way North to Oak Street Beach and beyond - the hotel is a block from Oak Street Beach) or go through the city. There is a small beach/park (Olive Park) if you walk along the lake to the North of Navy Pier, and that is where you can start on the lakefront path.

Otherwise, I'd also be happy to suggest a nice walking route from NP to the hotel through the city, as you could either go through the city or along the lake. I don't drive, but the NP parking deal would seem like quite a good deal to me and again, you have some really nice choices for the walk between there and your hotel.

I'd strongly suggest not parking at Union Station because that is a VERY far walk. Walking through the city is wonderful, but that is a looong stroll from Union to the Knickerbocker. That's probably twice the time of walking from Navy Pier to the Knickerbocker.

If you are visiting as a tourist, I'd highly suggest walking North to the Lincoln Park Zoo - wonderful, free zoo and there's a big organic Farmer's Market in the Park during the Summer. The Old Town neighborhood and the Chicago Historical Society are also nearby the park. Let me know if you have any other questions or would like other suggestions.

From Navy Pier through the city: I'd walk West from Navy Pier on Illinois to Illinois and McClurg. On that corner is the Fox and Obel Market and Cafe (fox-obel.com), a beautiful gourmet market and cafe - great place to stop for a snack or just to browse.

From Fox and Obel, continue West on Illinois to Columbus. If you want to walk to the Knickerbocker via less crowded side streets, head North on Columbus (which will become Fairbanks) and walk North on Fairbanks to Chicago. Once you reach Chicago, walk half a block West and then cross the street and head North on Mies VanDer Rohe way, which turns into Seneca. You'll walk past the Museum of Contemporary Art and behind the Water Tower Mall. You'll get to Walton Ave and the Knickerbocker is half a block West on Walton.

If you want to walk down Michigan Ave., then from Fox and Obel, continue West on Illinois past Columbus and you'll walk past a Dominicks Grocery and then see a large set of stairs headed up. Walk up the stairs and continue a short distance West to Michigan Ave. Then head North on Michigan Ave all the way to Walton. The Knick is a few steps East of Michigan Ave. on Walton.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]