MN Minneapolis-St Paul City Center Hotel (previously Radisson City Center)

Welldone Rumproast
By Welldone Rumproast,
in

This generally well-kept hotel is a good choice if you need to be in the St. Paul area. The 17-story structure is connected by climate-controlled Skywalk walkways to many downtown-area office buildings and attractions - I was able to easily reach the Xcel Energy Center (hockey arena) and Ordway Concert Hall (nice since one day was rainy).

The hotel looks to be maybe 20-25 years old, but the rooms are in good condition. I was given a good-sized room on the seventh floor with two doubles. There is a desk with data port integrated into the desk lamp, and phones are placed at both desk and bedside. An oversized wing chair near the window is perfect for reading. The windows open a little (safety bar is in place) for ventilation. A coffeemaker is in the room as well.

The TV has about 22 cable channels, including HBO and both ESPN and ESPN-2 ("the Douche") :) for you sports mavens. Internet access (the web-tv-style with infared keyboard that works through the television set) is available for $9.95 for a noon-to-noon period.

The bathroom was spotless and had plenty of towels and most importantly, very good water pressure :)

I had breakfast one day in the second-floor cafe, and it was fine. $8.95 provides a buffet which includes to-order omelette, breakfast meats, oatmeal, cold cereal toast/bagels, and good strong coffee/tea and juice.

The staff was friendly and efficient.

Note: When I checked out, the desk had a sign telling about a $20 per night "upgrade special" they had just started. The special provides 2 buffet breakfasts and an in-room movie, plus a room on the 15th floor with refrigerator and microwave. I asked the clerk whether prepaid (PL) rates could use this special and she stated "I think so" (you could always call the hotel to verify if you were interested).

Tips: When you leave the hotel and enter the Skywalk system there are many food and beverage outlets (sort of like a food court - but many are NOT open on the weekends). Caribou Coffee, a sandwich shop and a Chinese fast is just outside the hotel elevator area, two Mickey D's are just over a block away and Starbucks is just across the street in a corner of the Marshall Field department store (open Sat. and Sun. and opens before the department store opens). Even better, try a restaurant called KEYS on Robert Street (three blocks away, two of which you can walk via skyway) open only for breakfast and lunch - I had the most gargantuan (and tasty) omellete I've had in a long time, the "Everything Omellete" with bacon, sausage, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, cheese and god knows what else. Also a few blocks nearby if you get the late night munchies is Mickey's Diner, open 24 hours and with great homemade bean soup.

• 2 years later...

We stayed there on 9/3, checkin easy no mention of Priceline. Room was non smoking with two beds as requested (7th floor), not bad but seemed to be showing a little wear (carpets etc) We used the pool, but it had a bit too much chlorine in it, so we didn't stay in too long. We checked in after 7 p.m. on a Saturday, not much open in the Skyway system. We didn't eat at all here, can't really comment on the restaurant.

Not much to add to previous post, hotel now has free high speed wireless access throughout the hotel (used it) and it worked fine. We paid $9 for overnight parking in City Center ramp, it is $14 during the week, had no problem with this. Overall it was fine for a one night stay at $37, would probably stay again for similar rate.

• 1 year later...

We stayed twice in last 4 months. Different seasons, varying results. ThereUare - You may want to edit this, and also change the name from Radisson to City Center Hotel on Reviews, and Mapping. Thanks again for this service. PS: THis is for St Paul MN property - Hotel.

As mentioned, this evidently was a Radisson in the past. Although different name now, I can't remember who it was aligned with now, but City Center Hotel is the name. Here's a link to About the Hotel: http://www.citycenterhotelstpaul.com

Sept 3rd 2006, Labor day weekend, it was slow. Talked front desk into upgrade to top floor suite when I showed up alone with 3 kids. It was a 2000 foot banquet hall with 10 person meeting table, and bedroom, not to mention the fold out bed in main room. Place was quiet as mentioned, decent pool. We were there to get up early to fair in the morning. Had a ball. They even gave us coupons for great hot continental breakfast at 3rd party location in basement. Not bad for a $41 investment plus tax and fees, and tip to front desk. I can say that my Brother and my kids (totaled 7) had a good value, as they stayed over after swimming.

Nov 3 2006 - Ended up here short notice with wife this time and kids, after a wedding. Paid a little more, $52. Turned out it was a Wild Game (NHL Hockey) evening, irritatingly awakened by drunk bunch next door at 2am, had to call security a couple of times. No upgrade this time, and no free breakfast either. Much more crowded, I know to stay away now when there is a game in town. We ended up a Dixie's in St Paul for brunch - Very good.

Overall, good value, good properties are hard to find in St Paul, and this is central to St Paul. I live about 100 miles to north, and occasionally stay overnight for business and family needs. The beds here are very nice too, plumpy mattresses, and pillows.

It's all about timing, and we hit it right on Labor Day.

Thanks for this service, looking for more hits in MN!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]