Priceline Hotel: 3* NYC (ESB) Jolly Hotel Madison Towers

collegex4
By collegex4,
in

My husband and I will be visiting NYC as tourists 3/29-4/2/2010. We would like to pay around $100 including taxes. Reviewing bids it appears the Affinia 50 (2.5*) NYC MTE is in our price range. ($65-71) We would like to be in TS,MSG,CP,MTE. What suggestions do you have for bidding on 2.5* properties. Not sure what price to start at and how to progress. Winning bids for higher rated properties are around $95-140. Always use the link for PRICELINE for bidding. Thank you for your help.

The Affinia is a rare instance where a hotel that is widely considered to be a high-end property has been lumped with a lower-end star rating - the hotel is otherwise considered a 4* by other services. I don't know the exact reasoning why it's a 2.5*, but it's believed that it may be due to lack of restaurant and/or other amenities that would qualify for the higher rating.

Still, that said, the average 2.5* property in NYC is quite different, and is otherwise things like Holiday Inn Express properties, Hampton Inns, Best Westerns and other such properties. If you tried to bid 2.5* MTE, you could possibly get another unknown 2.5* (the Affinia has been the only 2.5* reported so far in MTE, but there could possibly be others) in the area, or possibly be bumped to 3*, as there's no way to know if the Affinia has PRICELINE inventory for your dates. Additionally, rates vary by date.

A bid with a total of $100 "all-in" (w/tax) would be about $77. Unfortunately, that would not likely be accepted by a 3.5/4* for these dates, but an accepted bid at a 2.5/3* would be possible (although the chances in TS may be slimmer, as that is traditionally the most expensive zone in the city.) There is no re-bidding opportunities at the 2.5*/3* level, so bidding would have to be done traditionally.

Would you be okay with the other 2.5* possibilities in other zones? The reported wins for NYC are listed in the Priceline Hotel List. Or would you be primarily interested in trying for the 2.5* MTE Affinia?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchase.

Thank you. As you implied getting a 2.5* hotel for under $100 inclusive would be difficult. Have unsuccessfully tried the following using PRICELINE link:

Bid MTE 2.5* $71 rejected (hoping for the Affinia)

Add MGS $75 rejected

Add Times Square $77 rejected.

Thought about adding Central Park but 2.5* Wellington has fair reviews.

Not sure what to do. What do you suggest as a bidding strategy? I feel comfortable with 2.5* only in MTE, MGS, TS. Would be willing to try 3* or higher in other areas with a max bid of $100 + taxes. Ideally the lower price would be preferable. Appreciate your advice.

I feel comfortable with 2.5* only in MTE, MGS, TS. Would be willing to try 3* or higher in other areas with a max bid of $100 + taxes. Ideally the lower price would be preferable.

So do you want to first try for a 2.5* in the MTE, MSG, and TS zones... or for a 3* in the 'other areas'? If the latter, which other areas (by PRICELINE name) is is that you're willing to accept at the 3* level?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Would find 3* or higher to be acceptable in CPS, Chelsea, ESB, MSG, MTE, MTW, TS. or 2.5* MTE, MSG,TS. I would like your suggestions whether to keep trying 2.5* or would I have more success with the 3* with my maximum bid of $100 + taxes because I included more areas. Bidding strategy would be appreciated.

Successful sub-$100 bids in NYC are not all that common and in win at either star level/zone combination above may be a bit of a 'reach'... but what you want to try for first comes down to what you're looking for from this stay. Personally i don't typically recommned the lower star rated hotels in Manhattan, as while some of them may be acceptable to you, others may not, and with PRICELINE you don't get to choose which type you will get... so my approach given your parameters would be to try for the 3* first, but depending upon your needs, you may feel otherwise.

I would even consider (and weigh how it works for your plans this trip) what i believe to be the Holiday Inn Soho-Downtown which appears to be available for $95/nite for your dates. It's not the perfect/ideal scenario, but the price represents a decent value as it's close to 3 different subway stations (two of which guest where will use frequently... the third not very useful for the average NYC visitor)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how you would like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

With a $100 maximum bid i would try as follows:

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB and MSG...

Bid $70, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTE, MTW, TS...

Bid $70, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* CPS, MTW, ESB and MSG...

Bid $75, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTE, Chelsea, TS...

Bid $75, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, TS and MSG...

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTE, MTW, ESB...

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, MSG and MTE...

Bid $85, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, MSG and MTW...

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, MSG and TS...

Select 3* MTE, MTW, TS, CPS, Chelsea...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTE, MTW, TS, CPS, ESB...

Select 3* MTE, MTW, TS, CPS, MSG...

Select 3* MTE, MTW, TS, CPS, Chelsea and ESB...

Bid $95, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTE, MTW, TS, CPS, Chelsea and MSG...

Bid $95, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTE, MTW, TS, CPS, Chelsea, ESB and MSG...

Bid $100

Any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance for using our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your bidding.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thank you so much for spending so much time developing and sharing the detailed bidding strategy. Followed the format exactly but unfortunately all rejected. Also rejected : 2.5* TS for $85, 2* TS for $85, 3.5 and 3 * in SOHO for $85.

Will now reevaluate the trip and will think about HOTWIRE or re bidding later. Will keep you posted on the outcome. Thank you so much for your assistance.

Changed our dates to 3/27 to 3/31. Used the PRICELINE link and the followed the strategy you recommended.

3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, MSG, MTE $85 rejected counteroffer +$22 refused

3* CPS,Chelsea, ESB, MSG, MTW $85 rejected counter offer +$22 refused

3* CPS,Chelsea, ESB, MSG,TS $85 rejected

3* MTE, MTW, TS, CPS, Chelsea $90 rejected

3* MTE, MTW, TS, CPS, ESB $90 ACCEPTED Jolly Hotel Madison Towers

General poor reviews on tripadvisor. Has a great location so we will deal with it. Hopefully it is better than camping in the rain and cold.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry to hear the reviews for this property are mixed, but the price is certainly good for NYC, and hopefully it will be an uneventful stay at this well located property.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]