Priceline Hotel: 4* DC (Georgetown-Foggy Bottom) Melrose

GDrinnen2
By GDrinnen2,
in

I'm attending a conference at the Marriott in Foggy Bottom 2/22 - 2/27. The hotel has offered a group rate of $145/room. While that rate isn't bad, I think I could bid on a much better rate. Besides, I'd just assume not stay where the whole conference is staying.

So far, I have surmised that there are no 4* hotels in the following zones:

Arlington West

Bethesda

DC Suburbs

Mt. Vernon

Alexandria West

Although there isn't anything in the Calendar of wins for this week in Foggy Bottom, I have found that the Rennaissance M Street has been won multiple times with a $70/bid. I would consider this a home run. It's half the price of the negotiated rate and Rennaissance properties are often some of my favorites. So I tried the following bids:

First, I used the PRICELINE link from this site!

Second, I tried 4* Foggy Bottom for $65. Rejected.

4* Foggy Bottom, Alexandria West for $70. Rejected.

4* Foggy Bottom, Alexandria West, Bethesda for $72. Rejected.

I continued this way, adding one zone at a time, until I reached all the zones at a bid of $87 (I kind of just used random increments).

I now realize that I probably could have gotten a few more bids by not adding a zone at a time. Maybe doing 1 zone, then adding 1. Then closing the browser trying 1 zone, then adding one. Etc. Etc.

Am I doing this right? It seems like I would have gotten a couple more bids this close and re-access route, correct? Any other tips? I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

For whatever reason I had a heck of a time booking a room for this stay. It seems like many of the hotels are nearly full. The conference I am attending only has 100 or so attendees, but there must be plenty of people coming for other events that week. Combined with the fact that I was booking so many nights, I didn't get as good a deal as I expected.

I booked the 4* The Melrose Hotel for $105/night using the links here. 2/22-2/27.

The reviews on The Melrose seem very hit or miss, so we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]