Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (ESB) W New York The Tuscany

w van
By w van,
in

I've been reading this forum for a couple days now and have found it very helpful, especially for the re-bidding strategy for PRICELINE.

My wife and I will be traveling to NYC 5/12 to 5/16. We'd like to stay right in Times Square but will also accept MTW. We'd like a 4* and our max is $200 per night including all taxes. I'm thinking of starting bidding TS at $150 and increasing in $5 increments through the re-bid zones. If I don't get anything, I'll try the same for MTW. Does this seem like a reasonable price for NYC in the spring? Should I start my bidding at a lower/higher price? The only 4* in Hotwire for this time and zones is $245.

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

First i'd recommend, if you haven't seen it, seeing my thoughts on Hotels Near Times Square. While i woudln't necessarily avoid this zone, i wouldn't target it either as most midtown zones usually work fine for the average visitor. Is there something about the CPS, MTE, and/or ESB zones that you don't like?

I also think you're understimating the taxes in NYC. $200 'all-in' is equivalent to about a $167 bid, so not really much room to bid from $150-$167. While i think this budget might be tough at the moment (i wouldn't bid too high given the length of time you have before your stay) i would still start lower to see if there is any 'low hanging fruit'.

Based upon your suggested strategy it sounds as if you're willing to pay more to stay in the Times Square zone vs. the MTW zone (as opposed to looking for the least expensive 4* or better in either zone), is this correct?

While i would suggest including other areas if you're looking for the lowest price/value, ultimately it's your stay so you need to be comfortable with the areas you select and be willing to stay there for this trip.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...

Sorry it's been a while. It took some time to confirm time off work, etc.

Tried bidding as follows:

TS, MTW, CPS - $150 - rejected

add re-bid zone - $155 - rejected

add re-bid zone - $165 - rejected

add re-bid zone - $170 - rejected

add re-bid zone - $175 - rejected

add re-bid zone - $180 - rejected

I've already gone over my limit and been rejected so I'm not comfortable going any higher. I'm deciding whether to try other zones or lower star ratings but will keep you updated.

Is there a reason you're avoiding the MTE and/or ESB zones? At the 4* level these usually work out quite for the average visitor, and currently HOTWIRE has 4* hotels in these zones at ~$200/nite, which implies you might be successful for a 4* via PRICELINE at the bid amounts you have already placed.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm deciding whether to try other zones or lower star ratings but will keep you updated.

Still lots of time between now and you're stay so i'm not sure you have to compromise anything at this moment, and can hold out a bit longer to try and get the 4* you're seeking, but if you are trying to get this done sooner rather than later, i will note that there seems to be a fairly bid price difference between 4* and 3.5* hotels, so you could likely be successful for a 3.5* propery near the low end of your bidding range thus far.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Keep us updated and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

We booked our flights and they turned out to be a bit cheaper than we expected so we decided to up our bid.

TS, MTW, CPS, MTE, ESB - $180 - accepted

W New York - the Tuscany

The location looks great. Very close to Grand Central and 20 min walk to Times Square. A few negative reviews on Trip Advisor, but we're happy with it.

Thanks for all the help! Used the PRICELINE link to book.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]